Murder Rates for Santiago, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo

Jarrote

Jan 19, 2016
Looking for a clearer picture of murders per year in these areas and reasons. Gang vs gang? Domestic violence? Armed robbery?

Wondering if anyone has the numbers readily available for 2015.

I would appreciate it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The figures for 2014 are available from www.one.gob.do.

Santo Domingo province 434, National District 181, Santiago 203, Puerto Plata 49.
Firearm 1,130, Stabbing 488, Blunt object 134, poison 1, strangulation 25, drowned 4, fire 9, other 14.

Matilda

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Didn?t I just read something in the news a few days ago about a mortician who said his department
(I forget the name of the organization he works for) was not going to continue working with the
government if they continued to classify murders as accidental or lying about cause of death to
make it appear as if the numbers are lower than they actually are ????????????

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Didn?t I just read something in the news a few days ago about a mortician who said his department
(I forget the name of the organization he works for) was not going to continue working with the
government if they continued to classify murders as accidental or lying about cause of death to
make it appear as if the numbers are lower than they actually are ????????????

http://www.metrord.do/noticias/sari...patologia-de-autopsias/ftwpbe---NkIU7m6DKYlA/
http://hoy.com.do/memorias-del-homicidio/

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, it was in the DR1 News last Friday, 5th February
Pathologist warns government is covering up violent deaths
Pathologist Sergio Sarita Valdez has reiterated his claim that the courts are sending fewer cases of violent deaths to the National Institute of Forensic Sciences (Inacif) where he is head pathologist.
He said they are now seeing 70% fewer violent death cases at the Marcelino Velez Hospital morgue in Herrera, Santo Domingo West.
He said that more than 60% of the cases they are seeing are natural deaths with very few autopsies for violent deaths.
He said the decision to not send cases of violent deaths for autopsy to the Inacif was political, taken by the legal authorities. He said the Attorney General office has the right to decide whether or not to send a body for autopsy.
He said that the Inacif has resisted pressure from the authorities and is telling the truth. He said he knows of official death certificates issued by other entities in cases of natural death when the victim had actually been beaten to death. He said Inacif is a scientific organization and stated that a forensic pathologist could not be political to prevent having to accommodate results to convenience.
Sarita Valdez says that if the trend continues, the Inacif will cease to exist.
http://hoy.com.do/memorias-del-homicidio/
http://hoy.com.do/misa-de-requiem-para-patologia-forense/
http://www.metrord.do/noticias/sari...patologia-de-autopsias/ftwpbe---NkIU7m6DKYlA/
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...-patologia-forense-de-las-autopsias-GN2593877

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Looking for a clearer picture of murders per year in these areas and reasons. Gang vs gang? Domestic violence? Armed robbery?

Wondering if anyone has the numbers readily available for 2015.

I would appreciate it.

I have lived all over the island and although I don?t know the exact satistics, I believe most of the murders that happen on
this island have nothing to do with gangs. They usually happen as a result of long running fueds between people
who obvisouly don?t have the best communication or negociation skills to resolve the problem/ issue peacefully.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the article i linked sergio sarita valdez sums it up:

Entre las circunstancias que rodearon estas miles de tragedias humanas se destacan los robos y atracos, los motivos pasionales, los encuentros con fuerzas del orden y las reyertas en sitios de diversi?n auxiliadas por el alcohol y otras drogas. ?Y qu? decir del nivel social y educativo de estos millares de asesinados? Gente joven, pobre, ociosa, con vicios y poca escolaridad.
En otros confines del mundo se mencionan como razones para el acto homicida: el odio, la ira, el rencor, el miedo, la venganza, los celos, el enga?o, la traici?n, la frustraci?n, la encomienda, as? como los conflictos por intereses econ?micos, herencias familiares, motivaciones pol?ticas, sociales y religiosas. Aqu? matan la pobreza, el salvajismo, el vicio y el miedo.

Among the circumstances that surrounded these thousands of human tragedies what stands out are the burglaries and robberies, passionate motives, the encounters with the forces of law and order and quarrels in places of amusement fueled by the alcohol and drugs. And what to say of the social and educational level of these thousands killed? Young people, poor, idle, with vices and little schooling.
In other corners of the world the reasons for the murderous act are: hatred, anger, resentment, fear, revenge, jealousy, deceit, betrayal, frustration, command, as well as conflicts caused by economic interests, family heirlooms, political motivations, social and religious. Here what kills is the poverty, the savagery, vice and fear.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
in the article i linked sergio sarita valdez sums it up:

Entre las circunstancias que rodearon estas miles de tragedias humanas se destacan los robos y atracos, los motivos pasionales, los encuentros con fuerzas del orden y las reyertas en sitios de diversi?n auxiliadas por el alcohol y otras drogas. ?Y qu? decir del nivel social y educativo de estos millares de asesinados? Gente joven, pobre, ociosa, con vicios y poca escolaridad.
En otros confines del mundo se mencionan como razones para el acto homicida: el odio, la ira, el rencor, el miedo, la venganza, los celos, el enga?o, la traici?n, la frustraci?n, la encomienda, as? como los conflictos por intereses econ?micos, herencias familiares, motivaciones pol?ticas, sociales y religiosas. Aqu? matan la pobreza, el salvajismo, el vicio y el miedo.

Among the circumstances that surrounded these thousands of human tragedies what stands out are the burglaries and robberies, passionate motives, the encounters with the forces of law and order and quarrels in places of amusement fueled by the alcohol and drugs. And what to say of the social and educational level of these thousands killed? Young people, poor, idle, with vices and little schooling.
In other corners of the world the reasons for the murderous act are: hatred, anger, resentment, fear, revenge, jealousy, deceit, betrayal, frustration, command, as well as conflicts caused by economic interests, family heirlooms, political motivations, social and religious. Here what kills is the poverty, the savagery, vice and fear.

Beautifully written, and true. It seems that a lot of violence can be attributed to disenfranchised young men without jobs or much of a future. It's a human tragedy with many dimensions.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Beautifully written, and true. It seems that a lot of violence can be attributed to disenfranchised young men without jobs or much of a future. It's a human tragedy with many dimensions.

and, Gringo, add in the idea of them having only a passing acquaintance with the concept of consequences. people here do incomprehensible things, without a passing thought about what might possibly happen. guys get on motorcycles, blast through crowded streets with children and animals around, never thinking they are one footstep away from calamity. they ride at bird speed down a one way street, never thinking it could produce dire consequences. it is just like killing someone for a cellphone at noontime, in the city square. somehow, mysteriously, they do not realize that it could be followed by dire consequences.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
and, Gringo, add in the idea of them having only a passing acquaintance with the concept of consequences. people here do incomprehensible things, without a passing thought about what might possibly happen. guys get on motorcycles, blast through crowded streets with children and animals around, never thinking they are one footstep away from calamity. they ride at bird speed down a one way street, never thinking it could produce dire consequences. it is just like killing someone for a cellphone at noontime, in the city square. somehow, mysteriously, they do not realize that it could be followed by dire consequences.

And whether they were going the correct way on that one way street is of question.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know about the rest of the country but Jarabacoa has had three suicides in the last two months. Seems like an upswing to me.