Self-Driving Cars

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Just been watching DV8's heartthrob James May talking about autonomous cars and that got me thinking about how they would function over here.

With all the algorithms set to conform to normal driving practice and regulations built into the program I can imagine them sitting in the traffic virtually scratching their virtual head and trembling until the computer blew a fuse..

Mind you,they could install HAL from 2001 and allow it to destroy human operated motoconchos..

Jan 7, 2016
The wife's nephew in Utah has a 2015 Tesla that pretty much drives itself. Rode from Provo to almost St. George on Interstate 15 without ever touching the wheel, brakes or accelerator. The first few minutes were a little nerve-racking, but after that, was very relaxing ride. It would never work here, because the roads don't all have lines on both sides of the lanes and there are too many "extraneous" factors that would cause a malfunction. Give them a couple years and they'll have all the kinks ironed-out.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Self diving cars arent going to work here any time in the next 100 years without an enema of the whole island. But for up in civilization I would love to have a self driving truck for sure. Hopefully GMC or Chevy will equip one with self diving mode in the next couple of years. I wouldnt want it for in town. but when I drive from Florida to Chicago that would be freaking awesome. Or even just across the state. I could either rest or conduct business.

But for the DR? Nah most havent even figured out what all that paint is for on the highway or parking lots. I can see self driving drone pods here for rich people before self driving cars.

Alousou

Mar 16, 2016
I think we still have a long way to go before that technology is widespread, much less used here.