Good jobs in the Dominican Republic, is it Posible?

FMPENA

Jan 24, 2002
Good jobs in the Dominican Republic, is it Posible?
Here's the question, you go to a ggod college, in the Dominican Republic, like a PUCMM, UNPHU, INTEC, your're from a middle class family that has some ties with "big connections" and when you graduate you can't find a decent paying job. Now the question, How good are the colleges in the Dominican Republic?
Do they really prepare you for the real world?
Do they analize that the market demand should always be different than the country necesities?
Is their really a real opportunity for the college grads?
With all this in mind and probably even more to add, what do you think should be the reason that it is really hard to find a good decent paying job in the Dominican Republic?.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Good jobs.

Hard to say. People tend to believe that they could always do better. What exactly do you mean by good job? I mean, if I was a high-paid traveling journalist for Best World's Spas I could still think that I could do better :D

And yes, it's hard but not impossible. You could find a good job, provided that you a)have patience, b)you do not give up the search, c)have something that the market needs. If you are a rocket scientist then no matter how much patience you have or for how long your search your chances of getting a good job are nil.

But if you are living outside the country (and I think I read that you are) I see no way how you will get a job, let alone a good job without being here.

jfernandez

Jun 20, 2005
Good job in DR

I found a lot of good paying jobs in DR. Of course, most of them are in Santo Domingo. A great website to visit in aldaba.org or infoempleos.net. It's like our monster.com here.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Benefit packages?

Is there anything comparable to a benefits package with jobs in the DR; health care, retirement fund, etc?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jfernandez said:
I found a lot of good paying jobs in DR. Of course, most of them are in Santo Domingo. A great website to visit in aldaba.org or infoempleos.net. It's like our monster.com here.
What do you consider "good paying"?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Rich-Poor Chasm

There was a recent article published on economic mobility in Latin America on Monday.....

-Helpmann

---------------------------------------------------
Status Quo
In Latin America,
Rich-Poor Chasm
Stifles Growth

Removed due to copyright

Last edited by a moderator:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
ricktoronto said:
You get a Peanuts lunch box after 6 months.

Hehehe, actually the labour laws are quite strange here, even if someone quits they get 'paid out' vacation or something like that which is a percentage of their monthly wage multiplied by the number of months they worked for you .... I'm sure there's a lot of info on 'job perks' if you do a search or two lol

Stay well,
Amy

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
amy2761 said:
actually the labour laws are quite strange here, even if someone quits they get 'paid out' vacation or something like that which is a percentage of their monthly wage multiplied by the number of months they worked for you

When I was in the DR a few years ago someone was telling me that a number of employers will hire someone only for a short period of time and then fire them to so that the employee will not have worked long enough to be able to claim this 'paid out vacation'. Does anyone know if this is true?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Labor laws allow employers to hire for a three month trial period. After that period vacation and severance payments, plus other benefits are due.

Technically, an employer could hire lots of temps for three months and fire them after that period. They cannot rehire the same person. Must leave a time without work -- not sure how long, though, prior to rehiring them.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Employment in the DR

Some of the colleges/universities in the DR are good. Although, I really don't know how they compare with those in other countries, such as the US.

I work in a free zone with almost all Dominican workers. We do have a few expats, but only for the certain positions. The Dominican 'superstars' do really well (in terms of salary), but most of the regular employees earn 'competitive' salaires.

I think it is just a matter of supply and demand. I recently had an open position and was flooded with resumes. There is tons of good talent in the DR for potential employers. Education is important, but from what I have seen, it is not a big issue when looking for good talent. It is out there.

May 31, 2005
Marcus said:
Some of the colleges/universities in the DR are good. Although, I really don't know how they compare with those in other countries, such as the US.

I work in a free zone with almost all Dominican workers. We do have a few expats, but only for the certain positions. The Dominican 'superstars' do really well (in terms of salary), but most of the regular employees earn 'competitive' salaires.

I think it is just a matter of supply and demand. I recently had an open position and was flooded with resumes. There is tons of good talent in the DR for potential employers. Education is important, but from what I have seen, it is not a big issue when looking for good talent. It is out there.
When you say superstars, what positions are those?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There's been quite a few threads on here that answer your question. To summarize, it seems that most expats who do well financially fit into at least one of the following:

1: Business owners. Some have successful restaurants (Rocky), others are into real estate and web-estate (Robert), still others are health care providers (AZB). Many consult back home, and work in virtual offices. There are also those who have seasonal work (CPAs) who come after tax season.

2: Retirees or savers with considerable financial assets/pension income. What would be a modest pension back home (say 2,000 -3,000 USD/mo) would provide a comfortable lifestyle out here (though things are getting more expensive all the time). Still others just live modestly in their home country, save up money and come out here for as long as it lasts

3: People receiving support from back home. Dominicans aren't the only ones who get remittances. Many were very successful back home, and are living off their good fortune. Others get help from loved ones. For example, many of the expats who volunteer or work as part time surf instructors, etc., might be getting a financial "care package" from the family.

To more directly answer your question, there are a few who have found the very rare position where you can live well (e.g., Professor Hillbilly), but they would probably be the first to tell you not to count on being able to do the same.

Good luck with your search.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Hard to say. People tend to believe that they could always do better. What exactly do you mean by good job? I mean, if I was a high-paid traveling journalist for Best World's Spas I could still think that I could do better :D

And yes, it's hard but not impossible. You could find a good job, provided that you a)have patience, b)you do not give up the search, c)have something that the market needs. If you are a rocket scientist then no matter how much patience you have or for how long your search your chances of getting a good job are nil.

But if you are living outside the country (and I think I read that you are) I see no way how you will get a job, let alone a good job without being here.

Although this message is old, I'd like somebody to expand on it. I thought a scientist can do more and better than most people.
tks

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Can anyone suggest a good website for applying for a job. I'm an Engineer experienced on Caterpillar Engines & Machines. I've got 19 years experience and would like to take up a good job in Domincan Republic

Aldaba - Empleo, Formaci?n y Vivienda is a very good site.
If you can't find a job there you might want to try to work in a Call Center.
Good luck you're going to need it