Baby chicks.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We are looking to buy a few baby chicks to raise them for eggs. Maybe half a dozen chicks. Does anyone know where in the Puerto Plata area we could buy some? Everyone says that the only place is from a truck which drives around selling them for 10 pesos each. We went to the guy who has chickens in cages and also to the Mercado Nuevo no luck.
Thanks
Der Fish

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
the men on the street is the only place I know. if they have them. wife says 10 pesos is high

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you will love having the chickens. The amount of eggs a few chickens produce is amazing. You will never buy eggs again. Plus there will be zero bugs in the yard and garden
Downside is chicken poop but a hose in the am takes care of that. I had no idea how great chickens were until wife's brother got a few. A great invention, chickens. I like egg white as its the yolk thats the fat and calories. You will be rolling in eggs. Good luck.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No rooster no eggs as I understand it. Maybe a vocal cord ectomy to shut up the rooster. I did leave out the annoying rooster crowing
I found I hot used to the rooster in time. Kinda like living near the railroad tracks. All the eggs are worth the annoying rooster. Most Dom women are great egg cooks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No rooster no eggs as I understand it.

city slicker talking... :cheeky: hens will lay eggs regardless of the presence of the rooster. the rooster serves to fertilize the eggs not to produce them.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
No rooster no eggs as I understand it. Maybe a vocal cord ectomy to shut up the rooster. I did leave out the annoying rooster crowing
I found I hot used to the rooster in time. Kinda like living near the railroad tracks. All the eggs are worth the annoying rooster. Most Dom women are great egg cooks.

As a kid I worked 2 summers for an old guy that had 1200 hens and not a rooster on the premises.
Der Fish

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yeah I thought that until we had hens and no rooster. I have been reliably informed that Dominican hens are not like other hens and they need a rooster to lay eggs. No rooster no eggs, then we got a rooster and had an egg a day per hen. Try it without a rooster Derfish and let us know. Hope you can sex baby chicks btw.

Matilda

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Yeah I thought that until we had hens and no rooster. I have been reliably informed that Dominican hens are not like other hens and they need a rooster to lay eggs. No rooster no eggs, then we got a rooster and had an egg a day per hen. Try it without a rooster Derfish and let us know. Hope you can sex baby chicks btw.

Matilda

Hahaha that might have been your chickens. Domican chickens are not special. Yours may have been chicken for meat production. They lay very few eggs. That's probably what you had.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Female chickens are called pullets for their first year or until they begin to lay eggs. For most breeds, around 20 weeks is a typical age for the first egg.
Some breeds lay eggs daily, some every other day, some once or twice a week.
Some individual hens never lay eggs, due to narrow pelvises or other anomalies.
Normal laying routines can be interrupted by molting, winter daylight shortage, temperature extremes, illness, poor nutrition, stress, or lack of fresh water. Hens usually return to normal laying habits when the disruption-causing factor ends or is corrected.
Most hens are productive layers for two years before declining in production, but some continue to lay eggs for several years.
Hens will lay eggs whether or not they?ve ever seen a rooster. Roosters are necessary only for fertilization of eggs.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/interesting-facts-about-chicken-eggs

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Female chickens are called pullets for their first year or until they begin to lay eggs. For most breeds, around 20 weeks is a typical age for the first egg.
Some breeds lay eggs daily, some every other day, some once or twice a week.
Some individual hens never lay eggs, due to narrow pelvises or other anomalies.
Normal laying routines can be interrupted by molting, winter daylight shortage, temperature extremes, illness, poor nutrition, stress, or lack of fresh water. Hens usually return to normal laying habits when the disruption-causing factor ends or is corrected.
Most hens are productive layers for two years before declining in production, but some continue to lay eggs for several years.
Hens will lay eggs whether or not they?ve ever seen a rooster. Roosters are necessary only for fertilization of eggs.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/i...thousands in chicken farms never saw rooster.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hahaha that might have been your chickens. Domican chickens are not special. Yours may have been chicken for meat production. They lay very few eggs. That's probably what you had.

Once they had a rooster they laid eggs every day. I live in the campo, and being google queen when my Dominican husband told me hens had to have a rooster I googled and told him they did not. Every single one of our neighbours has chickens, and everyone has roosters. I talked to men in their 80s who have lived here all their lives and they told me chickens needed a rooster to lay eggs, and I pointed out that not according to google. Does anyone here actually have chickens which lay eggs in the DR without having a rooster, and no rooster sneaking in at dawn for a quickie, rather than what google says should happen?

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Aha !!!1

an interloper.... in the hen house !!

There's a novel somewhere here Matilda.......

Swinging a leg over the window sill before dawn....... a Lothario in the campo.....
got a good ring to it , huh ??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe dominican hens are like dominican women: they need a good boning to be productive?

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Once they had a rooster they laid eggs every day. I live in the campo, and being google queen when my Dominican husband told me hens had to have a rooster I googled and told him they did not. Every single one of our neighbours has chickens, and everyone has roosters. I talked to men in their 80s who have lived here all their lives and they told me chickens needed a rooster to lay eggs, and I pointed out that not according to google. Does anyone here actually have chickens which lay eggs in the DR without having a rooster, and no rooster sneaking in at dawn for a quickie, rather than what google says should happen?

Matilda

I don't have any here but grew up with them. never needed google for info. Some latinos call Budweiser beer, wife beater beer. they think it makes them beat there wives, but miller lite does not. so they don't drink Budwieser. nothing against your husband but he is nuts. Dominican chickens are no different unless they are roosters in drag , maybe you have cross dressing chickens.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
My friend had 11 hens,- no rooster and no rosoters that could get into her coop. She got lotsa eggs. I have 8 hens and I have a rooster because it keeps my gardener happy! A happy gardener and happy hens give you lots of wonderful eggs! and my

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
2 things.

First there is a huge diffrence between "pollo gringo" and gallina.
The gringos are the chicken meat you buy a la pollera. Raised fast ( 90 days from egg to plate ). Also dumb animals that will have a hard time surviving in a conuco. Eggs have a frail shell and a "runny " consistency.
Gallinas are the typical backyard chickens. Very apt to fend for themselves ( think defend the chicks from snakes, burron, rats......).
The eggs have a much thicker shell. The yolk is much more resistant and bigger.
Anyone who has gallinas can tell the diffrence between eggs from the colmado ( the first type ) and eggs from the backyard.

Secondly, I do think a rooster is needed for eggs. For gallinas, its sure. Rex my rottie once got to the rooster and hacked his head off with the swipe of a paw.
The 2 other roosters werent pishando ( chicken sex ;) ) yet, and no eggs for a week or 2.
On the other hand , a rooster sets off a cycle in the hen. Once the rooster has giving the hen its due ( :) ) the hen starts laying eggs, for a week or 10 more days. Then a new due is due, if u see what i mean.