Birth certificate legalization no longer necessary

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

The Central Electoral Board (JCE), which is in charge of the civil registry in the Dominican Republic, has confirmed that citizens will soon no longer need to legalize civil registry documents. The JCE reports that as of tomorrow, Tuesday, 16 February 2016, civil registry documents no longer need to be legalized and can be requested at any civil registry office nationwide. In the past, the specific office where the documents were inscribed was the only office that could issue the documents.

As reported in Hoy yesterday, Sunday, 14 February 2016, document legalization fees used to bring in RD$350 million per year for the JCE.

As per the news item in dr1. Good thing you don't need to more than 1 office (or even more, if you're children were registered in different civil registry offices) for a valid birth certificate. For the last sentence of the news item. I have no doubt the price of the certificate will go up to compensate for the 200 pesos they won't be getting for legalization.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like the end of one amazingly stupid situation in the DR, but will they still expire?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

The Central Electoral Board (JCE), which is in charge of the civil registry in the Dominican Republic, has confirmed that citizens will soon no longer need to legalize civil registry documents. The JCE reports that as of tomorrow, Tuesday, 16 February 2016, civil registry documents no longer need to be legalized and can be requested at any civil registry office nationwide. In the past, the specific office where the documents were inscribed was the only office that could issue the documents.

As reported in Hoy yesterday, Sunday, 14 February 2016, document legalization fees used to bring in RD$350 million per year for the JCE.

As per the news item in dr1. Good thing you don't need to more than 1 office (or even more, if you're children were registered in different civil registry offices) for a valid birth certificate. For the last sentence of the news item. I have no doubt the price of the certificate will go up to compensate for the 200 pesos they won't be getting for legalization.

This has more to do with the National Biometric Database than policies by the JCE.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
They have already announced that birth certificates no longer expire.

Matilda

How about mine? It is a USA birth certificate taken out maybe 2 years ago. Has it expired? Or do I still need o ne issued less than six months ago?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
How about mine? It is a USA birth certificate taken out maybe 2 years ago. Has it expired? Or do I still need o ne issued less than six months ago?

As far as i know the statement was only made with regard to DR birth certs. On the Migration and the Interior and Police websites it used to state that foreign birth certs needed to be issued within a certain time frame - not sure if that has been updated mind.

Matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

As far as i know the statement was only made with regard to DR birth certs. On the Migration and the Interior and Police websites it used to state that foreign birth certs needed to be issued within a certain time frame - not sure if that has been updated mind.

Matilda

The stupidity may still continue in that area.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I can think of a reason why a birth certificate needs to be recent. What if someone died and another decides to take his identity (in DR) with an old birth certificate?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I can think of a reason why a birth certificate needs to be recent. What if someone died and another decides to take his identity (in DR) with an old birth certificate?

Well what difference would that make as far as getting one? Just have to write and pretend that that is you and they send it out. I knew a guy 20 years ago who had so many DUI's that when his cousin died he applied for said cousin's birth certificate and got a drover's license and basically changed his name from then on.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Well what difference would that make as far as getting one? Just have to write and pretend that that is you and they send it out. I knew a guy 20 years ago who had so many DUI's that when his cousin died he applied for said cousin's birth certificate and got a drover's license and basically changed his name from then on.

But would they if the death is registered? Even if you change your name along the way (officially that is), it will get registered and appear on your birth certificate. I know for a fact DR isn't the only country that puts a time stamp (or put, since now they changed it) on birth certificates, especially for the changing that might occur.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
But would they if the death is registered? Even if you change your name along the way (officially that is), it will get registered and appear on your birth certificate. I know for a fact DR isn't the only country that puts a time stamp (or put, since now they changed it) on birth certificates, especially for the changing that might occur.

He experience I knew of happened maybe 40 years ago. Maybe now it wouldn't work. I also knew of another guy who found naturalization papers from a German born man. He wanted a second ID so used it to try for a driver's license and found that the owner of the paper work he'd found had several arrest warrants out for him. It cost the guy several thousand bucks to clear his name.
Der Fish

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Sounds like the end of one amazingly stupid situation in the DR, but will they still expire?

It was indeed one of the most STUPID rules the JCE has ever applied, the re-certification of a document they already certified when printed!!