what's that fruit?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i saw it in POP area, grows on a vine crawling on the ground, similar to auyama or sandia. about the size of a tomato, bright green, yellowish when ripe. fairly soft and easy to open/break. inside it is uniformly green, full of small seeds, kinda similar to inside of a cucumber. very bitter in taste.

2r2w2th.jpg

Aug 6, 2006
Could it be a rambutan or some relative of a rambutan?
Rambutans are red and rather tasty. There is a yellow variety, sen at the bottom of this Wikipedia article.

I don't think I would eat it until I was sure I knew what it was and that it was safe to eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
you have all the old Dominican women in my hood all stumped. they all said not to eat but they do not know name.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you guys are better than google! that's the thing!
vile in taste indeed.

i saw it grow in the wild. definitely not intentionally planted.

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
My neighbor as a child used to pickle them. They were an older oriental couple, that's where I saw them before.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
you guys are better than google! that's the thing!
vile in taste indeed.

i saw it grow in the wild. definitely not intentionally planted.

animals can move a species, could have been brought here birds pick up seeds etc. ad says high germinating. If these old ladies don't know the name I know its not native.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've never seen it before. it was growing in a bit of wilderness, to be honest. not uncharted but far enough form dwellings of the natives. i have visited that spot many times before and it was a new arrival.

Jul 28, 2014
i've never seen it before. it was growing in a bit of wilderness, to be honest. not uncharted but far enough form dwellings of the natives. i have visited that spot many times before and it was a new arrival.

Hiding bodies AGAIN??? ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
animals can move a species, could have been brought here birds pick up seeds etc. ad says high germinating. If these old ladies don't know the name I know its not native.

Absolutely, my wife's aunts backyard is filled with hot pepper that were spread by birds. I asked at the school and nobody knew what it was called but a couple of girls said it was pica ( hot)