Good and reliable driver recommendation in Santo Domingo

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Hello, we are going to the Capital for 2 days to check out Ikea, Ashley furniture, and Sherwin William paint store. We made hotel reservation in Colonial Zone already. Have not decided to take our car or not. but we don't want to drive our car while we are there. We are from Sosua.

Can some one recommend a good and reliable driver, who speak English, has a decent car, and can take 2 of us to do some shopping for a day in Santo Domingo. Either this Friday afternoon or Saturday the whole day.

How much does it cost to have a hired car with driver for a half day (4 hours ) or a whole day ( 8 hours) in US dollars.

Thank you in advance.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Myself I charge 2000 pesos for a six hour day, but my car is actually far from uber, and I am on the north coast, but putting this here for comparison purposes.
Der Fish

Sep 4, 2012
Budget Rent-a Car does the entire deal, vehicle plus driver. Call them at the JKF franchise offices in SDQ, I've used them but do not recall how much was it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Budget Rent-a Car does the entire deal, vehicle plus driver. Call them at the JKF franchise offices in SDQ, I've used them but do not recall how much was it.

Isn't a licensed / insured reliable driver cheaper?
You are basically paying for the guys time / meals / fuel.

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
Ikea open 11am M-F and 10am weekend, make sure the time is right for you and the driver. I went 2 months ago and I was surprise to say the least.

Sep 4, 2012
Isn't a licensed / insured reliable driver cheaper?
You are basically paying for the guys time / meals / fuel.

Any driver can be had perhaps cheaper, the difference here is that in this case you are hiring a known name with a background behind it. They'll provide the vehicle (insurances, etc) plus they will stand behind the drivers performance/behavior -- all as package.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
call martin in santo domingo. he speaks english and he will take you everywhere for cheap. 829 294 2777. tell him the doctor from el portal sent you. the one he takes to airport all the time.
his car is not the best but he is reliable and will be able to take you wherever you like. his rates are local rates, meaning, cheap. talk to him and make a deal.
AZB

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
why would anyone go to visit ikea....their stuff is pure garbage ...really only fit for college students who would like to get a year out of the stuff

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
why would anyone go to visit ikea....their stuff is pure garbage ...really only fit for college students who would like to get a year out of the stuff

Given the humidity here, the max you'll get out of most muebles is 2-3 years anyway.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
call martin in santo domingo. he speaks english and he will take you everywhere for cheap. 829 294 2777. tell him the doctor from el portal sent you. the one he takes to airport all the time.
his car is not the best but he is reliable and will be able to take you wherever you like. his rates are local rates, meaning, cheap. talk to him and make a deal.
AZB

Hello AZB, I had a very successful trip this past weekend by using Martin as our driver. You are right, he is good, reliable and knows his way around town. You are also right about his car, but it took us where we wanted to go and able to get there safely. Thank you again for the good info.