Purchasing a "solar"

DRMarine

Jan 25, 2002
Hello all, I need some information
I want to purchase a plot of land to build a home of average size with 4 bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom,dining and some space around the house for a small front yard and a back yard. Santiago is where I would like to have it, not right in the city but some place not too far from it. Now, I must say the home is not for me, it is for some relatives of mine so I'm not looking to build a mansion here. I would appreciate if anyone gave me some input on what I should expect to pay for the land (and what size do I need, how much is una "atarea"?) and the cost of building the house. Any help whatsoever concerning any part of the process will be extremely helpful. I've live in the States for most of my life and I haven't the slighest clue on what things cost in DR.
thank you in advance for the help.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since you live in the "States",I guess you would not be here to "oversee" construction.Very high percentage chance that you would be "Ripped Off" for lack of a better teminology! Don,t count on your "relatives" to help,they would be taken advantage of too! I would suggest buying something already built. Your relatives could find something in your price range,you could buy the property.Now,clear title? Transfer taxes paid?To do a "real property" transaction in the Dominican Republic is full of "Pit Falls"I was "all set" to buy 50 "Tareas" in Moca.The transfer of title taxes had never been paid."We don,t worry about that out here", said the owner,"You just take the title and you have the property!" I don,t think so! Good Luck,and get a good lawyer,if you can find one!Criss Colon

DRMarine

Jan 25, 2002
follow up

thanks for the reply Chriss,
Alright let's say I had someone trustworthy to oversee the project (who will also be the builder)? What can I expect to pay for what i'm looking for somewhere around one of the "campos" near santiago?
thanks again

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Find,"The Mountain Man"!

Find a post from "HillBilly",then send him an email. He has lived in Santiago since just after Colombus landed! Criss Colon

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Buying property in the Cibao

DRmarine

A tarea is 628 m2 and can vary in price from RD$ 1500 to RD$ 25,000 or more in the Cibao. It depends on location, closeness to comunications, if it has water, electricity, phone ect.. When buying make sure you have a reliable lawyer that does an extensive research. Look out for heridary ownership. Keep away from them if you can. There is always some lost brother who shows up later. Make sure the land owner has a valid cedula (id card) and all the papers are in order. Most poor people think it is fair to rip off some one who has more money than them.

As far as construction goes. You would need to supervise 100% or you will get taken to the cleaners. Get many material quotes locally and in Santo Domingo for everything. If I was you, I would buy a ready made property and when you get some experience of how things are here, look into construction...