Sabaneta-Moca road - R I P

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Sitting at el Cafetto and as always it so so beautiful and tranquilo. BUT, I think it?s the last time I take my car. The pot holes, Yes, there has always, been some but now there are MANY and some MASSIVE ones.

I guess a jeep with very big tires can do it without problem, but normal cars... ehhh no Unless you want to change tires/rims now and then...

Carretera turistica and now this beautiful road. How difficult can it be to construct a decent road that holds up?`

Sad moment, because I really love sitting up here in chill La Cumbre :(

I heard the local chauffeures had huelga here last week beacuse of the condition of the road... and then election year, so I guess the politicians are busy spending money on their campaings... zzz

Just sad in such a beautiful country with all opportunities :(

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I drove it on Sunday and Monday and it didn't seem much worse than usual. You just have to concentrate to avoid the worst craters. But never fear, elections coming soon, which usually has a miraculous effect on road surfaces!

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I drove it on Sunday and Monday and it didn't seem much worse than usual. You just have to concentrate to avoid the worst craters. But never fear, elections coming soon, which usually has a miraculous effect on road surfaces!

Well, I compare it with 1-2-3 years ago... then it was a few stretches, now it is bad all over. I hope you are right about the elections but it will prob. just be quick fixes....

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I realise that roads are a tricky thing to master for cost-cutting road makers and that the idea that some form of continued maintenance is also necessary to put in place after the initial construction,but it still aggravates me that one only has to go down to the south of the country or over to the beloved Punta Cana region and find some excellent roads.

I guess there are priorities involved when it comes to choosing where to put your road money and the North Coast is the poor relation.

How much did they say the Bavaro-Miches highway cost? Who is going to use it? Couldn't they spare a bit of left-over material for the rest of the country?

Since I have been in the DR,I have only seen one new road in the North and that costs a fortune by DR standards to use.
(The Maimon Cruise port tiny strip is a joke! )

Think we need some more big names to live in the North coast...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
It is a beautiful drive. One of my favorite and lucky cockfighting arena's is up there. However when wet it is super dangerous, one skid or slide away from oblivion.

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016
Sitting at el Cafetto and as always it so so beautiful and tranquilo. BUT, I think it?s the last time I take my car. The pot holes, Yes, there has always, been some but now there are MANY and some MASSIVE ones.

I guess a jeep with very big tires can do it without problem, but normal cars... ehhh no Unless you want to change tires/rims now and then...

Carretera turistica and now this beautiful road. How difficult can it be to construct a decent road that holds up?`

Sad moment, because I really love sitting up here in chill La Cumbre :(

I did the trip on my new bike yesterday. Seems the same to me. I have done this trip at least 50 times in the last 3 years. I know where the bad spots are but it is heaps better than the other mountain road west of Sosua abajo! I haven't done that trip in 5 years or so but it was horrid!
La Cumbre rocks! Molina's restaurant for me.
I heard the local chauffeures had huelga here last week beacuse of the condition of the road... and then election year, so I guess the politicians are busy spending money on their campaings... zzz

Sad moment, because I really love sitting up here in chill La Cumbre.

I did the trip on my new bike yesterday. Seems the same to me. I have done this trip at least 50 times in the last 3 years. I know where the bad spots are but it is heaps better than the other mountain road west of Sosua abajo! I haven't done that trip in 5 years or so but it was horrid!
La Cumbre rocks! Molina's restaurant for me!

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
La Cumbre rocks! Molina's restaurant for me!

We actually went the carretera turistica on bikes 1 month ago. It was doable, but would not go there with car or even a big jeep. AND they are actually working on that road so let?s see.

And yeah, I also go the Sabaneta-Moca road very often, and I stand by my comment that it?s getting worse and worse. Hope they fix it because even though I have been driven it hundreds of times, I still enjoy the views so much.