Gusanos de madera

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
I know they are wood worms but does anyone know exactly the species that are here in DR? I want to do some research on my own instead of using barrio info/techniques for remidies.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
they bore holes that look like they were drilled. you will see sawdust.'if you stick a pin in the hole you can catch one to get a better look at him.get the furniture out of the house or your problem will get worse

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The fluid used is very thin and you can inject it into the wood through their holes. Check the next day and you'll have dead worms on the surface or floor.

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Yea neighrbor just brought over a chemical call Nuvan. Label has skull and crossbones on it but he insist No es Peligroso. I dont think so.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yea neighrbor just brought over a chemical call Nuvan. Label has skull and crossbones on it but he insist No es Peligroso. I dont think so.

I used a poison that goes right into the wood and has almost no odor. I wasn't planning on eating off the wood so no big deal. As I said there are a number of green products out there.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
I need Help all... My 2-1/2 year old Plywood cabinets are under attack by wood worms. Shortly after I saw he evidence of the worms & I was down in Cabarete on vacation the Sosua cabinet maker came & did use a flashlight , syringe & a Insecticide seemed to slightly help, I continued it while I was there but after leaving no further treatments. Well it has gotten worse, I fear now I will lose my cabinets. Guys I can pull the cabinets out.... realistically ... Is there anyone on the NORTH COAST that Knows how to treat ? I really need Help, I was hoping that a professional Exterminator existed there... who maybe could " TENT" the cabinets & inject with a fog Chemical. The Apartment is Vacant, furnished & air conditioned, in case anyone asks the question. Please anyone ??? - Thanks - SERGE -

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
I need Help all... My 2-1/2 year old Plywood cabinets are under attack by wood worms. Shortly after I saw he evidence of the worms & I was down in Cabarete on vacation the Sosua cabinet maker came & did use a flashlight , syringe & a Insecticide seemed to slightly help, I continued it while I was there but after leaving no further treatments. Well it has gotten worse, I fear now I will lose my cabinets. Guys I can pull the cabinets out.... realistically ... Is there anyone on the NORTH COAST that Knows how to treat ? I really need Help, I was hoping that a professional Exterminator existed there... who maybe could " TENT" the cabinets & inject with a fog Chemical. The Apartment is Vacant, furnished & air conditioned, in case anyone asks the question. Please anyone ??? - Thanks - SERGE -

I've had great results with a product called Tim-Bor, which I bought at amazon.com

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
JimBobo- Thanks for the reply- Can I ask some questions ?? What Type of Wood Furniture had you treated ? What Method did you use? I see Spray/vaporize or powders ? What was your best method & results. I would have to buy the Tim-Bor and go in checked baggage what else would I need to bring to effectively treat ? any help please - Thanks - Serge

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... I would have to buy the Tim-Bor and go in checked baggage what else would I need to bring to effectively treat ? any help please - Thanks - Serge

Tim-bor is an insecticide, it´s may well be illegal to transport it in carry-on or checked baggage.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
@santiagodr - Good point... But I may have to take that chance.. Maybe re-package the powder or liquid in checked luggage... unless someone offers up a better solution... really I am getting desperate

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
JimBobo- Thanks for the reply- Can I ask some questions ?? What Type of Wood Furniture had you treated ? What Method did you use? I see Spray/vaporize or powders ? What was your best method & results. I would have to buy the Tim-Bor and go in checked baggage what else would I need to bring to effectively treat ? any help please - Thanks - Serge

Timbor is not an insecticide; is a natural product. You can mix it with water and then apply with a brush to woodwork. If it is painted wood you would have to remove the paint where you apply the product. I drilled little holes in furniture and then injected the timbor solution with a syringe.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
@jimbobo - Thank you... The kitchen cabinets are stained not painted, knowing that... the stain can't be removed, do you think the brushing would be as effective ? and drilling yes is possible. Glad it's natural.. then this makes it easier to deal with

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It´s listed as an insecticide...

Timbor is an insecticide, fungicide and wood preservative for the protection and treatment of lumber against fungal decay and wood destroying insects. Timbor is a water soluble, inorganic borate salt with insecticidal and fungicidal properties. It is an effective treatment for wood to kill and prevent infestations of decay fungi including white rot, brown rot (i.e. Poria) and wet rots. Timbor does not treat mold or prevent mold from growing.

The following PDF link gives the warnings:

Timbor Label - Hazards to humans and domestic animals

You may be risking a fine, etc. for transporting it on a commercial flight.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Won't work for kitchen cabinets but I submerged a bed in the pool to rid myself of them

Works like a charm