Prices of electricity

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Interesting when I was a child chocolate bars were 10 cents than the price of sugar went up and the chocolate bars doubled and tripled but when the price of sugar went down the price stayed the same. They made a lot of excuses but not able to explain.
Now we have the prices of electricity in the DR it was based on high oil prices and now the price has dropped the prices are the same. Can someone explain it to me?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
We borrow electricity without asking where I live so I?m probably not the best person to ask about the prices.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Interesting when I was a child chocolate bars were 10 cents than the price of sugar went up and the chocolate bars doubled and tripled but when the price of sugar went down the price stayed the same. They made a lot of excuses but not able to explain.
Now we have the prices of electricity in the DR it was based on high oil prices and now the price has dropped the prices are the same. Can someone explain it to me?

I'll let you know when I get my bill but I heard my neighbour say that it dropped from 15 to 11 pesos a kw this year here in Dominicus.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
CEPM in Bavaro has lowered prices significantly in the last year. Still very high, but not what it was a few years ago.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I'll let you know when I get my bill but I heard my neighbour say that it dropped from 15 to 11 pesos a kw this year here in Dominicus.

Now the rate in Dominicus (for company CEB) is flat rate each month of 363 pesos, plus 11.63 pesos per kilowatt hour for use after that. This is about 26 cents a kilowatt hour.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Here is my current rate from edesur for my house in Cabral:

Fixed rate: $ 137.25RD / month

First 200kWh @ $ 4.44RD
Next 100kWh @ $ 6.97RD
All kWh over above @ $ 10.86RD

I average around 500kWh per month.

kFrancisco de Cabral

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That is because the government does not follow its own regulations when it comes to the price they charge for power and because they negotiated bad deals with those who actually generate the power. Remember that the government is the distributor of the electricity and not the generator.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We borrow electricity without asking where I live so I?m probably not the best person to ask about the prices.

We used to do this for about three months many years ago, with the help of our neighbors. Not because we wanted, but because EDE was incompetent enough to refuse to admit that our address/house exists. I went 3 times to the office, carefully described the address (even took the invoice of a neighbor there, to no avail), and always they said that that house is not in their system.

It?s funny that despite that, their technicians still found their way to the house and cut our cable due to non-payment. And after 30 minutes, a neighbor that knew stuff, found a ladder and came to connect us back...

Then we moved out and eventually paid nothing for 3 months of electricity... I wasn?t proud, I was frustrated how stupid they could be...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Something like leaded gas a few years ago. When they first started putting lead in the gas they charged more, and when they stopped putting lead in gas that cost more once more time!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not sure if that was referring to me or to EDE? As said, I wanted to make things right from the beginning, but without invoices or connected meter it was a bit difficult...

josh, the stupidity of EDE.:classic: I do see how that could have been confusing. Only CLARO here in the DR is close to being as stupid as an EDE.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

BORROW?????????What exactly does that mean? Use without paying for it or is someone else paying for it? If that is the case than you are stealing it. Not a good thing to admit especially if your name means anything to you.
If I am off base here let me know?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BORROW?????????What exactly does that mean? Use without paying for it or is someone else paying for it? If that is the case than you are stealing it. Not a good thing to admit especially if your name means anything to you.

It is certainly one the reasons for the huge debt owed to the companies. When you multiply his actions by the thousands of others stealing electricity the only way to recover it is to charge the actual paying customer more.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
In Santiago I was paying an average of 2000dp per month, here in the Campo it's 350.............
BUT, I have electricity on the average of 15 hours per day, off 8.
I can't complain, with an inverter, it's still very comfortable.....
Many many people here "borrow"..........
Ed comes out about every 3 months and cuts all the illegal wiring, they're all back up the same day.
Money is hard to come by in this Campo, food comes first, and many don't eat every day.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

It means I don?t pay for my electicity. My ?name?/ handle I chose is the name of a barrio I used to live in.
Not to worry buddy..
Just look at like I?m recouping some of my losses from past dealings with EdE.
Nothing like paying for something and getting
nothing in return.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It is certainly one the reasons for the huge debt owed to the companies. When you multiply his actions by the thousands of others stealing electricity the only way to recover it is to charge the actual paying customer more.

Thank you Bob for paying more. Myself and my neighbors do appreciate it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you Bob for paying more. Myself and my neighbors do appreciate it.

Hurts us all in the end. It's one of the big reason for lack of 24 hour power. I actually don't find the prices that high but we aren't large consumers, at least on an individual basis. We have 9 separate bills to pay so it does add up.
I can't help you with your low ethics, CristoRey , only Cristo can help you.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hurts us all in the end. It's one of the big reason for lack of 24 hour power. I actually don't find the prices that high but we aren't large consumers, at least on an individual basis. We have 9 separate bills to pay so it does add up.
I can't help you with your low ethics, CristoRey , only Cristo can help you.

Toda Bob.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I complain about most things in the DR, but not the price of electricity. More than fair where I live in Puerto Plata (and all legal).

I used to complain about the blackouts but they are now infrequent and usually brief. I used to complain about the queues to pay or for service in their offices, but that too has vastly improved.

Maybe things will slide after the elections.