Is Dominican Republic safe for LGBT people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone1997

Feb 21, 2016
I have a question. How do Dominicans feel about LGBT people? Do they accept them or condemn them? I don't
think about tourism, but about life in this country. I dont't think only about gays and lesbians, but also about
transsexuals. Is it problem for Dominicans or they are totally ok with this? I don't know what to think about it,
because I know that many LGBT people go to DR, but I've heard very much about homophobia among
Dominicans and they are fanatic Catholics. What is true? I think about life in DR, not only holidays.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Whether they do or not, there has been an annual parade for almost as long as I've lived here (17 years).

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
This being an election year in the DR, I was curious to see if any DR officials attended. In Canada mayors and politicians tend to run hot and cold on the issue depending on whether or not they are trying to get elected. Rob Ford, the former mayor of Toronto is a classic example of that.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Ecoman, just accept that the parade is a huge event in the capital and very popular with non gays also and there is no way of knowing if various political people dress up in drag or whether they do not but the parade is sanctioned by the government officials.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's fine as long as you stay away from riffraff and grudgingly accepted play for pay. i know some both local and imported LGBTABCXYZ and they are rather happy.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
In Puerto Plata, I often see gay and crossdressing Dominicans. Talking to straight Dominicans they find it more amusing than dreadful.

Sos?a has all flavors of sexuality to accommodate tourists. Well, I should qualify that. I haven't seen sadists or dominatrix. :)

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I agree with all of the above.

Dominicans believe in Liberty. You can live your life however you want to. Flamboyant men might get teased behind their back or mockingly cat-called. Nobody is going to threaten you with violence just because you are gay.

Also, people would be less likely to make that assumption about you, unless you're a make-up kind of guy.

I'm a self taught Spanish speaker so my syntax could be off...some relevant terms applied to gay men.

Plumas-feathers. So "con plumas". Bien Plumado. Callendo sus plumas-dropping his feathers.

Amanerada-technically well mannered. Implies an over abundance of manners such as lifting a pinky while drinking tea.

Recoger flores-picking flowers

Jota-pronunciation of the letter J in Spanish.

Pato-duck. Referencing the way a duck tail wags while walking. More PR than DR.

Maricon-weak, ineffectual. Marica in adjective form. Not always an insult. Kind of like when the football coach chides his team he may say "ladies".

Bugarone-a straight man who goes with dudes. Shortened to buga.

Check out monaga.net as mentioned. Forewarned, NSFW.

I can't tell you what it's like for a transgender person.

Unless you're a screamer most women will assume you are straight.

I was completely naive about Dr's reputation prior to going there for the first time. Fortunately DR1 schooled me before I could make a mistake.

Once you get 10 posts you can IM me for specifics

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans tend to make fun of them, and parody gay men on EVERY variety show, not much more.
My wife is "GAY" every weekend, and never has any problems.
Secretly Gay women are common.
They have a straight man in their life just to pay the bills.
The men never know.
I KNOW, but don't "Give a $hit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The US ambassador, and his "husband" are openly gay.
They tend to rub their lifestyle in the face of Dominicans, which has not made them popular here.
Dominicans are "Catholic" only when baptised, and when buried, not much in between.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Catholicism is not as important to the younger Dominicans as it was to their parents. I've noticed that Evangalism based Faith's are on the increase in certain parts of the DR and are recruiting former Catholics.

What on earth are you trying to say? In the DR evangelicals are typically MUCH MORE conservative than Catholics, especially when it comes to social issues. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I have a question. How do Dominicans feel about LGBT people?
Are you into sweeping generalizations and stereotyping?

Have you considered the possibility that Dominicans are not factory-made, and hence SOME Dominicans hold certain views on this matter that are different to the views of other Dominicans? Is that at all possible in your estimation?

Isn't that the situation in the vast majority of the countries on earth, including where you now live? Or does each and every one have identical views on this matter, wherever you live?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There are lots of gay/crossdressers/trannies in Jarabacoa. They don't seem to be bothered or go into hiding here. Interestingly a guy from another part of the DR said they would kill them or beat them where he's from.

Status
Not open for further replies.