What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Why are posters constantly going off topic on the regular forums lately?

I know, at times, a thread can go off on a tangent. I also understand that, at times, a comparison had to be established.

Too many posters getting infractions and banned on a such a simple concept.

STAY ON TOPIC....................................

Also posted in the Off Topic forum.

This one is for all to see.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Unlike most rules in this country... I do my best to follow this one.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I posted this answer in the Off topic forum:
Because they can't control themselves. For Christ's sake they even argue and go off topic in the clown bin now! Imagine having to close a clown bin thread. It happens quite a bit now. Pay attention to the names. It is the same ones over and over again.
If I had know it was going to be in the general forum I would have posted my reply here ONLY. I avoid posting in the Off Topic form now. I already have one of my admirers trying to start crap with me. ARGH!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It's easy for this type of stuff to be monitored in the regular forums. Despite the fact that some threads stray, most of the time I don't feel it's a problem getting them back on track. I think we mods do a good job at this and we communicate together as a team whenever an issue arises.

There are other things going on that to me are more of a detriment to the site that has nothing to do with posters occasionally going off-topic. We are in dire need of some new blood around here, posters who see the DR (and the world) through a different lens and can capture the dynamics of a changing world for the sake of broadening the calcified perspectives that have become tiresome, boring, clich?d, and derivative.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
Also posted in the Off Topic forum.

This one is for all to see.
I think, man...it is because generally speaking, the country is just not that interesting. If guys move to a country and spend all day on the Internet might be because there is nothing else constructive to do. They are socially, culturally out of bounds because all the "back home" stuff they used to do they cant do because all the functional systems dont exist outside of Santo Domingo. And no offense to Virgo and Agualita and all them but the people are somewhat foolish and unstimulating. And you find associating with them to be a contemptuous affair over time.

It is hard to compare and contrast keeping it absolutely 100% DR related because almost nothing works to a suitable standard like it does in other countries unless it is imperative for international trade and those countries will only accept that standard(like air safety or food importation requirements).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i understand comparisons and contrasts, that serves some purpose. but lately it gets into the point when one poster would genuinely compare some event/idea/object to something from america while staying completely on topic. but in response some brainless dimwit would say "yeah, and i hate trump", then someone else would say "yeah? and i hate hillary" and then it's down the hill from there on.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think, man...it is because generally speaking, the country is just not that interesting. If guys move to a country and spend all day on the Internet might be because there is nothing else constructive to do. They are socially, culturally out of bounds because all the "back home" stuff they used to do they cant do because all the functional systems dont exist outside of Santo Domingo. And no offense to Virgo and Agualita and all them but the people are somewhat foolish and unstimulating. And you find associating with them to be a contemptuous affair over time.

It is hard to compare and contrast keeping it absolutely 100% DR related because almost nothing works to a suitable standard like it does in other countries unless it is imperative for international trade and those countries will only accept that standard(like air safety or food importation requirements).

some brilliant observations there, Commandah. . whenever people assess the merits of the DR in terms of being a habitable ecosystem, they always tell you about the beaches, and the savannahs, and the rolling hills, and bla bla bla. nobody stops to think that stuff like that gets old in a dead hurry. even compared to other caribbean islands, the DR has a lot of catching up to do in terms of things of interest. for me, at least. i am a stereo buff, and the state of high end stereo in Puerto Rico in 1988 was more advanced than it is in the DR in 2016. i saw stuff there that has not gotten here yet, and it amazes me. look at any high end stereo site and you will see posters from all over the world, excepting the DR. i am always exchanging pms with a guy from the Cayman Islands, but have never seen a Dominican in the site. the cultural tendency is to articles of ostentation, and cerebral exertions are unimportant. if you are from a first world society, it is hard to adjust.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
some brilliant observations there, Commandah. . whenever people assess the merits of the DR in terms of being a habitable ecosystem, they always tell you about the beaches, and the savannahs, and the rolling hills, and bla bla bla. nobody stops to think that stuff like that gets old in a dead hurry. even compared to other caribbean islands, the DR has a lot of catching up to do in terms of things of interest. for me, at least. i am a stereo buff, and the state of high end stereo in Puerto Rico in 1988 was more advanced than it is in the DR in 2016. i saw stuff there that has not gotten here yet, and it amazes me. look at any high end stereo site and you will see posters from all over the world, excepting the DR. i am always exchanging pms with a guy from the Cayman Islands, but have never seen a Dominican in the site. the cultural tendency is to articles of ostentation, and cerebral exertions are unimportant. if you are from a first world society, it is hard to adjust.

In the D.R. how many watts you're cranking is much more important than S/N. The most fun I can have is trying to answer a cell phone call walking down the streets of SD Este. It's like trying to breath underwater without scuba gear. I'm surprised that you still have an ear for music having lived in the noise pollution experiment that is the Dominican Republic.

At the same time, it's why I love the place. The irreverence, the "wild westiness" in opposition to the world I live in where everything happens as scheduled and deviation from those schedules is not tolerated.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the D.R. how many watts you're cranking is much more important than S/N. The most fun I can have is trying to answer a cell phone call walking down the streets of SD Este. It's like trying to breath underwater without scuba gear. I'm surprised that you still have an ear for music having lived in the noise pollution experiment that is the Dominican Republic.

At the same time, it's why I love the place. The irreverence, the "wild westiness" in opposition to the world I live in where everything happens as scheduled and deviation from those schedules is not tolerated.

if the boredom don?t kill ya, nothing will.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
i understand comparisons and contrasts, that serves some purpose. but lately it gets into the point when one poster would genuinely compare some event/idea/object to something from america while staying completely on topic. but in response some brainless dimwit would say "yeah, and i hate trump", then someone else would say "yeah? and i hate hillary" and then it's down the hill from there on.

Actually, it's much worse. Things have gotten to the point where saying "I prefer candidate x" inspires the other person to make personal judgments about your character. If they prefer "candidate y," then you don't only have poor judgment, you're a genuinely "bad" person.

Which is why we're taught not to discuss religion or politics in polite company.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
if the boredom don?t kill ya, nothing will.

That's why I like to mix it up. I think that what my Dominican friends in the USA and my American friends in the D.R. have in common is that they each understand how to put their chosen environment into proper perspective. There is no such thing as "The Answer". There is only "Your Answer".

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Actually, it's much worse. Things have gotten to the point where saying "I prefer candidate x" inspires the other person to make personal judgments about your character. If they prefer "candidate y," then you don't only have poor judgment, you're a genuinely "bad" person.

Which is why we're taught not to discuss religion or politics in polite company.

Polite company died with our Grandparents. There is only vitriol and self interest left and the main appeal of politics seems to play directly to that. I find it hilarious that the same People who will run to my defense on hot button issues like gun rights and capital punishment where I agree with them will cast any aspersion when I argue in favor of education and healthcare. Common sense obviously has nothing to do with politics anymore. It's "US" and "Them" and there's no room for a middle ground.

Folks tend to get downright vicious around here. They don't want to learn anything, they just want to be "right".

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Polite company died with our Grandparents. There is only vitriol and self interest left and the main appeal of politics seems to play directly to that. I find it hilarious that the same People who will run to my defense on hot button issues like gun rights and capital punishment where I agree with them will cast any aspersion when I argue in favor of education and healthcare. Common sense obviously has nothing to do with politics anymore. It's "US" and "Them" and there's no room for a middle ground.

Folks tend to get downright vicious around here. They don't want to learn anything, they just want to be "right".

Well, then when you find a person who agrees with you on everything.. .

Marry them.. for life.. like our grandparents did,, for better or worse.
but thats just me thinking out loud .. and I aint found one yet myself..

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Ladies and Gentlemen,
From my perspective this forum has far more pros than cons. Granted I'm fairly new to Dr1 but there is a wealth of information here built up over quite a few years and this forum is the positive result of a lot of work by many people. Tempers do flare on certain topics and the social graces required for serious discussion often takes a back seat. It's not supposed to happen in the so called age of political correctness but it does. Passion often prevails where logic should. My comments have been misunderstood from time to time and people have been upset by them and called me on them. I don't take it personally or shy away from commenting on other threads. The fact is, politics and religion are so closely intertwined with the hot topic threads it's often hard to comment without including some aspect of it. Yes there are certain commenters that take liberties but they are often the best source of information on other important topics. The bottom line is the chances of a group this size and diverse agreeing on everything are minimal. I think the best the moderators can hope for is a middle of the road approach to the discussions. Moderators should use the carrot and the stick wisely, and let this forum do what it was intended to do.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
this thread itself is quod erat fcuking demonstratum. smh.

This is freekin' funny! I think I pizzed myself laughing.
Off topic?! Say what?!
I wouldn't vote for Trump if he paid me a million dollars. :bunny::bunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.