Getting from Sosua to La Romana

sosua-laromana

Feb 1, 2002
My wife and I need to travel from the La Cana hotel in Sosua to the Coral Canoa in La Romana. Can anyone give me advice on the best way for Americans to do this. I wanted to fly from Puerto Plata to La Romana, but have not found flights between the airports, except overnight through San Juan, PR.

Thanks.

AJP

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
Caribe tours bus is the best way to get around.

$10 can get you pretty much wherever you want to go on the island. They're comfortable, and air-conditioned.

Don't settle for your own personal taxi, though many will try to push it on you. It's not necessary.

I would prefer going East first instead of backtracking through POP and Santiago. As La Romana is east of SD, you might be able to shave a couple of hours off the trip.

The POP to SD route would take a good 6 - 8 hours.

There is only 1 eastbound bus a day and it leaves from Charamicos ( Sosua ) at around 7:30 AM to Samana. There would be a change en route. I'm thinking Nagua. Maybe furthur on from Nagua.

Get the details for the itinerary ahead of time. If necessary bring an interpreter to the caribe bus stop in charamicos a day ahead, then write it down for reference ( in English, and Espanol ).

I think the eastbound / overland route would be more fun than the long boring highway POP to SD. And it may be quicker, swinging closer to La Romana sooner than the other route would.

If you can't connect to another caribe tour bus on the South coast on the same day ( I'm thinking you should ) , then a taxi for the last leg shouldn't cost no more than 2 hundred or so pesos.

have fun!

sosua-laromana

Feb 1, 2002
I did get a reply from Rafael Silva of Taxi Tours RS. His price is US$250 for the entire trip.

How can I contact Caribe Tours to find out if I can do the entire trip, or what changes I have to make in which towns?

Thank you for your assistance.

Al Pirigyi

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
The phone number for Caribe Tours in Santo Domingo is 809-221-4422. They'll probably have an English speaking clerk there to help you. Call before you leave the states.

$250 US is quite a lot of money compared to as I said about $10 to get you most anywhere. The direct route is straightforward and sure to get you there in about 8 hrs. But being as it's so long to get to SD, calling ahead to get the connection time is a wise move.

Being adventurous and taking the eastern route is bound to have more interesting experiences, but I would be prepared to possibly spend the night somewhere if necessary. Maybe not an option for you if you have a schedule to keep. In any case the office should help with your options.

Here's a good map of the island.

http://www.dominicanrepublicpage.com/Map.html

Bien viajes ( happy travels )

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It is $2,600 RD$ Sosua to Boca Chica and $1,200 RD$ from Boca Chica to La Romana, so $3,800 RD$ or $220 US would be 2 trips - I can imagine the taxi over a shorter route must be less than that.

I agree with the Caribe or Metro advice - you can always go Sosua to Santo Domingo for $7 or so and then take a cab to La Romana.

rasilm

Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
ricktoronto

Rate from Bocachica to La Romana Town is DR$1,200.00 pesos but if you go to Bayahibe is DR$1,400.00 pesos from Bocachica. (check Taxi Cabs rates) plus the other trip from Sosua to Bocachica DR$2,600.00 pesos Which makes the trip cost around US$235.00 dollars.

The previous post regarding the rate I gave to that gentleman was not US$250.00 dollars for the trip, I still have the e-mail I sent to him and my rate is US$225.00 dollars, still US$10.00 dollars below the normal price. Regarding the route the fastest way is going thru La Cumbre road to Santiago / Santo Domingo / Bayahibe. Rates are calculated following that route my friend. Just want to make things clear. Regards.

Rafael Silva

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
Those prices are for a personal taxi, right?

Before paying those kind of bucks, I'd bus into SD, then connect from there. La Romana must be within 2 or 3 hours from SD. It's just that the traffic thru SD must be horrendous as there is no highway bypass.

soul man

Jan 31, 2002
I'm a real adventurer when traveling the beautiful and safe DR - my route might be

Caribe Tours, POP > Samana
Ferry, Samana > town 1 hr north of
Punta Cana - the name
escapes me right now?
Taxi/local bus > LaRomana

Does this sound like fun, or I am 'loco'?

SM

sosua-laromana

Feb 1, 2002
Interesting ideas, keep them coming. I am staying at La Cana in Sosua and Coral Canoa in Bayahibe. Can anyone show me on a detailed map or by street names where these places are located? It is strange talking about going from one part of the country to another and not even knowing the street address of the places.

What is La Mulata in Sosua? I have a map of Sosua that shows the Gregorio Luperon and Dr> Alejo Martinez.

sosua-laromana

Feb 1, 2002
My apologies to Rafael. I incorrectly quoted his price. It is US$225.

I prefer to travel on 23 Feb, which is a Saturday, is traveling on a Sunday any different? Do the buses run at different hours?

Thank you for any help.

Al

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is insane!!
Decide if you are adventureous or not

If you are adventurous, go the Sosua, Nagua, Saman?, Sabana de la Mar, Higuey, La Romana route. It will be fun. Have someone at the hotel in Sosua write out your directions and travel lightly.

If you are more conservative,, take the Sosua, Puerto Plata, Santiago Santo Domingo route. Change buses to a bus for La Romana, maybe on Metro Tours bus-Very easy to get to from Caribe Tour in Sosua. After arriving in La Romana get a taxi to Bayahibe.

Taxi is an expensive option, but, again, you must decide if you want to stop at the different places that sell stuff on the highways! then the taxi is the very good way to go.

Not rocket science.

RE: Maps. the map they sent you to is very outdated!. As for street maps, they are not needed here since in any town the people know where things are, especially hotels and stuff like that. Of course in the larger towns there are street maps, but you won't ever need them.

You can get a good map at just about any Texaco Station.

HB

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Take to the skies!

If you have ever smelt a Caribe Tours bus at the end of a long day, you may want to consider flying instead!

When we returned from Punta Cana to Sosua, we flew Punta Cana to PP forRD$1000 per person, then a cab to Sosua. May not be the cheapest way, but we went down via Bus, then private taxi....waaaaaaaay too long a trip for one day if you just intend on "getting there". Not sure how much it costs from LaRomana to PC, but I still think flying is the fastest painfree way to go about it...

If you plan on seeing the country during the trip, I would say you should do the samana route.

marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this is most certainly an option!! It is a bit expensive and you don't get to see much of the country. My sons and daughters in law have done this on several occasions. It is quick-like 1/2 hour to Bavaro. But then you have to get to Bayahibe.. Another story..

HB

khughes

Feb 4, 2002
allegro punta cana dr anyone been there

ArJay said:
The phone number for Caribe Tours in Santo Domingo is 809-221-4422. They'll probably have an English speaking clerk there to help you. Call before you leave the states.

$250 US is quite a lot of money compared to as I said about $10 to get you most anywhere. The direct route is straightforward and sure to get you there in about 8 hrs. But being as it's so long to get to SD, calling ahead to get the connection time is a wise move.

Being adventurous and taking the eastern route is bound to have more interesting experiences, but I would be prepared to possibly spend the night somewhere if necessary. Maybe not an option for you if you have a schedule to keep. In any case the office should help with your options.

Here's a good map of the island.

http://www.dominicanrepublicpage.com/Map.html

Bien viajes ( happy travels )

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
What's the ferry ride like?

Can anyone tell me what the ferry ride is like? I.E. is it open ocean, lose sight of land etc.

What's the overland travel from Samana to PC like? It was stated in another thread that it would not be very well marked.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The ferry ride is never out of sight of land. One day there will be a car ferry and things will realy pick up. Gee I can't imagine why there isn't one now. Could it be that Miguel Bezi, the owner of most of the ferry boats that operate now, isn't the owner of the car ferry? Gee!

it is no big deal. You get on, ride for a while and you get off.

As to the land route to Punta Cana, I am asuming (always dangerous on these pages) that you aim to cross over to Sabana de la mar and continue on. You can't miss it!. You go to Higuey, bear left and you are there. You can always ask for directions, but if the road ain't paved, you are on the wrong road...Just follow your nose...

HB

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
overland

Ok,
Another poster claimed it was almost too treacherous to attempt. Could be I mistook his advice.

Then is there a bus that runs Samana - Sabana Del Mar? Is Sabana del Mar far from PC? etc..

All details you can spare,
Thanks.
Ray

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, Ray. As I posted above, it is for you and your significant other to decide.
The absolute least hassle is to go from Sosua to Santo Domingo by Caribe Tour bus, get ataxi to Metro Bus, get the bus to la Romana and then get a taxi to Bayahibe.
to tell you the truth, I am not even sure where Bayahibe is Exactly. I know that it is past la Romana. I don';t think it is in Punta Cana. Dolores can tell you all ablut that.

From a purely adventure point of view, you really can't beat the trip (cone with as little luggage as possible) from Sosua to Saman?. Go early, so that when you get there you can take a trip and see the whales (if you are going to be here before March 15). Spend a nice evening in Samana-really tons of places to stay.

then get anearly ferry over to Sabana de la Mar. Ask locals for the buses to wherever you want to go. they won't be a nice and luxurious as the Caribe Tour or the metro, but you will get a "feel" for the land and the people.

And of course you can fly for about US75.00 each. R/T is $150...And it take all of 25-30 minutes...

All up to you and your purse and wife.

HB