Amanera for a mere $$$$$$$$

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How very tacky to mention the model and make of the car. LOL at the way the writer oh-so-knowledgeably refers to chinola as maracuy? (the word for passion fruit in some other Latin American countries but not the DR). She also seemed to think that Punta Cana was just down the road, as they needed to be secluded from it.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Ahhhhh it's just a writer doing there job. I take no offense in it. Have better things to worry about

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i chuckled at "rustic cuisine" but in reality, i wish i had that kind of money. no hate from me. just pure jealousy.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The hotel cuisine isn't rustic..... or cheap !!

"rustic cuisine" refers to dominican food served in the beach shacks:
Seeking more authentic fare, I took a stroll to the end of Playa Grande. A quaint cluster of restaurants frequented by locals on weekends and holidays offers rustic cuisine and some of the most flavorful arroz con pollo (rice with chicken) I have ever had.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I like the part where she went into the "jungle". Monkeys, lions, elephants, hahaha. If she wanted a jungle she should have gone to Sosua.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I like the part where she went into the "jungle". Monkeys, lions, elephants, hahaha. If she wanted a jungle she should have gone to Sosua.

If you do not have anything useful and value added to add, dont comment!!!!!!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I recently stopped there on my way back from Du Du lagoon, and we had lunch. I have to say, it was the best pescado frito I've had in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The food is quite good.....
I don't go often since things changed a few years ago.

Remember, the Amanera end of the beach (west) was never used much .
Years ago, there was another hotel there that had a beach club.
So this is not a new set of circumstances for the beach.

The Playa Grande Beach Club is the one that changed life for most of us...
pushing the public beach to the extreme easterly end.

In spite of my criticism and much of the same from the 'beach boys' initially,
They all swear business is better.....

More power to them

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
This looks a wonderful place and I also remember the dreadful AI hotel that was more or less on the golf links and in which many tourists were poisoned on one occasion. It was horrid and then there were very dangerous steps going down the cliff to the beautiful but dangerous Playa Grande and further along towards Cabrera there wer the beach huts serving food . Then , of course, it all fell over and the hotel was finally pulled down and the golf course lacked maintenance and I think even the beach was closed for a while. Now it has come to life again but at a much higher price ..that all sounds wonderful to me and I hoper there are ruboffs for the locals. My greatest regret is that La Catalina has closed ..it proved that a hotel need not be pretentious or expensive to be wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that part of the north coast is simply stunning. maybe it's better to make it exclusive getaway for loc ricos than have it wasted and polluted.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
that part of the north coast is simply stunning. maybe it's better to make it exclusive getaway for loc ricos than have it wasted and polluted.

agreed. no need to cast pearls before swine, in this case.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This looks a wonderful place and I also remember the dreadful AI hotel that was more or less on the golf links and in which many tourists were poisoned on one occasion. It was horrid and then there were very dangerous steps going down the cliff to the beautiful but dangerous Playa Grande and further along towards Cabrera there wer the beach huts serving food . Then , of course, it all fell over and the hotel was finally pulled down and the golf course lacked maintenance and I think even the beach was closed for a while. Now it has come to life again but at a much higher price ..that all sounds wonderful to me and I hoper there are ruboffs for the locals. My greatest regret is that La Catalina has closed ..it proved that a hotel need not be pretentious or expensive to be wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable.

The beach is still open to the public... let's not misunderstand that.

The food shacks are still there serving the same good food.... at the east end.
Large signs pointing the way to the entrance, and plenty of parking
The government made sure of that.
The prices are what they were before.... very affordable.

The Amanera employs a lot of people..... good medical plan, etc... a boon to the community.
All facilities are private however.... no visitors/non-guests.

La Catalina is still closed.... missed by many.

You would be surprised how many Dominicans have never been to this part of the country.....
actually, you'd be shocked.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes WW ,Dominicans do not generally travel around their country very much and it is a pity to miss your area . I think the beach was only closed for a period when it got very dangerous but glad it is open and the food stalls are going strong..What is happening on the secarpment above the golf course .Is this being developed for high price housing ??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have a look at the website...

All that 'upper land' belongs to them too.
Someday it will be developed.

Golf course villas, hillside villas.... horseback events.
It is almost like Casa de Campo years ago - but prettier.

http://www.dolphinci.com/project/playa-grande-club-reserve/

It's a large scale development if they can keep it going....

Understand the relationships...
Dolphin Capital is the developer, Aman is a hotel operator.