beer's good, rum's plentiful.. what about wine??

Datdanigirl

Jan 23, 2002
I'm coming to Punta Cana for a much needed escape to a beautiful beach. Traveling all inclusive because, well, it's cheap, and it's easy, and that's what I want right now.

That, and I drink ALOT when I escape.

So I hear the local beer is great, the rum will flow unendingly.. but I really enjoy wine with dinner, and word on the boards is that wine isn't offered at the resorts, or that the one they may have is dreadful. Can anyone confirm the availability of red wines in the vicinity (staying at Barcelo Bavaro) and/or attest to their 'drinkability'??

Also interested in other options, can I bring a few bottles, can I go get a few bottles somewhere and bring them back, can I buy some grapes and stomp them..

thanks in advance,
Danielle

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I stayed at the Palace...

and they always served a house wine with dinner, either white or red. Also a wine list is offered, mostly Chilean and Argentinian wines so yes its available. Enjoy.

Wines

House wines are available at Barcelo hotels, red, white and rose, it is very drinkable. Depending on what type of red you like is the question as to whether you will like their wines. I prefer a very dry (0) red and theirs is about a (1) but not to bad. The white,I did not like too grapey, rose not bad,
You don't need to clutter your luggage and bring along any, and should be able to find some at the local mercado.

Deb

Jan 1, 2002
redarding Wine

Is the house wine available at an extra charge at Barcelo, or is it included in the all inculive package??

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wine

Wine is produced here in the Dominican Republic in Neyba, but it is so awful that it is better used for hand to hand combat than drinking. luckily for you, it's not served in resorts. You should n't have any problem finding good wine. The best beer is Presidente and the best rum is Brugal Extra Viejo in my opinion.
Enjoy

cabaretekid

Jan 3, 2002
Do yourself a huge favor and bring a few good bottles and leave them in the a/c so not to spoil. Good wine is very hard to find. Hope this helps.