Rent a washing machine?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My Dominican friend Humberto had me in stitches telling me about these companies that will bring a semi-automatic washer to your house on a concho, you do your laundry, and return the machine. Apparently they are small-ish and very lightweight.

After I picked myself up off the floor from ROTFLMAO, I realized it might be just the ticket for several things I have that need laundering that I don't want to trust to the local lavanderia or my maid.

Anybody know anything about this service?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I cannot plug you into it, but one lady with whom I cohabitated for a short while had 2 brothers who had half a dozen washing machines that they rented out as a business in Santiago. So I know it is for real. Maybe it is a business I should try out!
Der Fish

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I've seen a guy in Charimicos on his moto with the machine strapped to his back with a rental tel# so it is true. Maybe someone in Sosua will respond for you.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
In Santiago you see this guys on motos with a washing machine all the time, - it's a real business in barrios - you rent a cheap plastic washer for like 100-200 pesos and then the guy comes back for it a couple of hours later. I am sure someone in Charamicos or Sosua Abajo can hook you up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i know is that such businesses exist and there are plenty of them. be warned that those lightweight small washing machines are pretty much a piece of crap. they take relatively small loads and require you to physically move laundry from the washing compartment to the spinner which is often even smaller. basically, doing weekly laundry will take you quite some time and effort.

for about 500 pesos you can have a full load of washing done for you by variety of ladies in any barrio who live from doing this. i recon it's a good deal. alternatively you can buy one of those tiny machines and just keep it at home. it does not require much in terms of hooking it up, in many places they are filled with water from a bucket or a hose and the dirty water is thrown out by a pipe placed on the floor or hooked outside window/balcony. they cost under 10,000 pesos.

or for about 20,000 pesos you can have a more modern machine that will actually do the work for ya but require some space and more permanent hooking to water supply.

in any case, the best people to ask about this are your local dominicans.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Rented a machine many times this way when my machine was broken. 200 pesos for the day. Last time I did this was around a month ago when the digital board on my machine got fried.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Some people need to get out more.

This is a normal everyday thing in the D.R.

Meemselle, for several things you have that need laundering that you don't want to trust to the local lavanderia, you definitely should not use one of these rental machines.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RD has answer for everything.... I can't think of a simpler, easier place to live.

Push button everything............ IMO

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How long have you lived here? This is what most people do who don?t own a working machine.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
machine

How long have you lived here? This is what most people do who don?t own a working machine.

I've lived here 4 years, but the first 3.5 were spent managing a small hotel and my ama de llaves did my laundry for me---beautifully, I might add---3 times a week. So I was pretty spoiled.

Since moving into my own apartment, the laundry issue has become a hassle. There's a laundry down the street and they pick up and deliver, but they're a little pricey, they use a dryer (which I don't like), and they are rotten folders.

I share a maid with a friend, and she's been doing the laundry there, but it turns out my friend is the one who gets stuck taking it off the line after Manuela leaves. So I'm looking around for other options.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I'm just running this up the flagpole. Why don't you ask your Dominican friend Humberto where to get a hold of the moto laundry dude?.......He probably won't tell you shyte since you laughed at him.
Good luck princess.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'm just running this up the flagpole. Why don't you ask your Dominican friend Humberto where to get a hold of the moto laundry dude?.......He probably won't tell you shyte since you laughed at him.
Good luck princess.

I will ask Humbie, but it will have to be by e-mail as he's hightailed it off to Amsterdam for the rest of the year. And since we've been friends for more than 30 years, we tell each other everything, doll.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Thanks to everybody who weighed in on this topic. It doesn't sound as if the concho laundromat is going to be the answer. I was so dearly hoping so, if only for the blog possibilities it presents......

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Cool.....you'll enlighten your viewership about doing your laundry in Sosua.

Pinch me...........I can't wait.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks to everybody who weighed in on this topic. It doesn't sound as if the concho laundromat is going to be the answer. I was so dearly hoping so, if only for the blog possibilities it presents......

i really think purchasing a washing machine would be best. when you do, don't forget that plug thingummy that protects from power issues. voltage regulator?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Sosua it is Meems? I'll drive mine over manana, inside the van, not balanced on the back of a bike. five hundred pesos should cover fuel. OK?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
i really think purchasing a washing machine would be best. when you do, don't forget that plug thingummy that protects from power issues. voltage regulator?

I really do not have the space for one. I keep looking around to see how it might work: bathroom is too small and the kitchen is getting crowded. I might be able to use this sort of anteroom but it's far from the water supply.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Sosua it is Meems? I'll drive mine over manana, inside the van, not balanced on the back of a bike. five hundred pesos should cover fuel. OK?

Thanks for the offer, Derfish. I'm going to start a search for a barrio lady. Maybe you can bring her over inside the van.