How much and How often do you add water to your pool?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
For the past month, I did not have to add water to the pool, thanks to the rain we had... Pool is full... really full.... That's nice for a change. I'm in Sabaneta by the way.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
easy to figure. just measure depth. wait 24 hours measure same spot again. if you see a difference you have a leak. if very tiny difference may be evaporation. with area of pool you can determine what lose is in gallons

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In summer time, i have to constanly add water. Evaporation and rinsing of sand pump once a day.
With the recent heavy rains, i havent had to add recently.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
IF you have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch per 24 hours is evaporation. if more than that is probably a leak. of course it depends on your pool size.. higher humidity your pool evaps less drier it evaps more. like said wind, direct exposure to sun, humidity. effects it. go out an measure it now

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
1.Bring the pool water to normal level. Fill a 5-gallon bucket with pool water to about two-thirds from the top.
2.Place the bucket on the first or second step of the pool. Ensure the bucket is immersed in the pool at least five inches.
3.Mark the water level inside the bucket.
4.Shut off the pump and auto fill and mark the pool water level on the outside of the bucket.
5.Resume normal pool pump operation.
6.After 24 hours, compare the two water levels. If the pool water (outside mark) goes down more than the bucket's water level, there is probably a leak. If levels are the same, only evaporation has occurred.
In case of rain, repeat the bucket test. Expect water loss from normal evaporation. Test is invalid after 24 hours.

copied this from a pool testing company

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am losing 1 to 2 cm per day and have been trying to find this leak with different strategies for a while. They may have to tear up my tiles and dig for skimmer lines as I am running out of options and fixes.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I am losing 1 to 2 cm per day and have been trying to find this leak with different strategies for a while. They may have to tear up my tiles and dig for skimmer lines as I am running out of options and fixes.

You could easily lose that much to evaporation if the pool is in the sunlight for a good part of the day.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Also if you happen to have a couple of crazy dogs ( like I do :) ), they jump in, and come back out with a couple of gallons of water, then shake it out. Multiply by number of dogs and number of times they do that a day.
Sounds crazy ? I thought so too.
Then thought about it, watched them at it. Noticed the amount of water they shake out, and that trails behind them.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Also if you happen to have a couple of crazy dogs ( like I do :) ), they jump in, and come back out with a couple of gallons of water, then shake it out. Multiply by number of dogs and number of times they do that a day.
Sounds crazy ? I thought so too.
Then thought about it, watched them at it. Noticed the amount of water they shake out, and that trails behind them.

that's probably it, perro pool party

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016
IF you have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch per 24 hours is evaporation. if more than that is probably a leak. of course it depends on your pool size.. higher humidity your pool evaps less drier it evaps more. like said wind, direct exposure to sun, humidity. effects it. go out an measure it now

Wrong, it has nothing to do with the pool size.

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016
In summer time, i have to constanly add water. Evaporation and rinsing of sand pump once a day.
With the recent heavy rains, i havent had to add recently.

Evaporation is minute. You rinse the filter, not the pump. Doing this once a day is way beyond overkill.

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016
You could easily lose that much to evaporation if the pool is in the sunlight for a good part of the day.

Nope. Wind is the biggest factor. Second is if the water temperature is much warmer than the air temperature.
Evaporation is normally not an issue. One short spurt of rain will provide more water than evaporation typically will remove.

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016

Do not do this unless you are trying to get exercise. You can't just start guessing as to the location of a leak.
Have the returns pressure tested if when the pump is on, the level drops. If it makes no difference in the speed the water drops regardless of the pump being on or off, then it is in the shell of the pool. Skimmer crack, light niche, main drain etc.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My leak turned out to be a skimmer crack. I noticed it when we had a swarm of flying ants. They were drawn to the pool lights and drowned. But interestingly when their wings fell off, they slowly made their way to the leak!

So there you go. Proven pool leak detector.....ant wings!