dominicans invest in security precautions

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...de-hasta-rd-100-mil-en-su-seguridad-AX2819233

interesting article in DL. it talks about increased interested of dominicans in improving safety of their houses and business by installing various security systems from electric gates, through the use of motion controls and cameras to employing watchmen.
it mentions various options and costs.

one of the comments points that the article missed the costs of most common and popular safety measure in DR: metal bars in doors and windows. indeed, they can cost quite a lot of money.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
security systems have gotten more affordable everywhere. gone are the days where the wife has to sit with a machete

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
iron bars are decorative not security. A dom thief goes thru them in under a minute with a scissor jack from a Toyota. Wife put them on our house. I thought oh, good, how safe, she laughted and told me its for decorative look. I think the house looks like a prison but she is happy. Maybe the thief will not have a Toyota.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
iron bars are decorative not security. A dom thief goes thru them in under a minute with a scissor jack from a Toyota. Wife put them on our house. I thought oh, good, how safe, she laughted and told me its for decorative look. I think the house looks like a prison but she is happy. Maybe the thief will not have a Toyota.

Its a combo security thing.
It will take longer to get through window + iron bars, than just windows. Even if its only a couple of mn longer.
Add motion lights and/or dogs, or even cameras, and you have a few more minutes to wake up and prepare. Just might save your life.
Obviously it is only for when you are in the house, as if its empty, the thieves have as long as they need to get through ANY security mesures.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree with malko. it's a question of slowing thieves down and maybe getting them to pick an easier target.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
that's the whole idea. the harder it is they may move on. our place is like rykers island. that scares them off / reminds them when they were there. Little dogs who bark a lot are good at night. having good neighbors helps. we are spending more that's for sure. you can have a system that is very fool prove but its very expensive. many duplicate and triplicate systems, fake wires, most people do not want to spend. we hire a watchmen when gone long times very inexpensive

Sep 4, 2012
Deterrence people, its about avoiding to become the easy target. I hated to be jailed in like a parrot at my own house in DR, but it did kept me safe to a point. Never had to worry about any of this in Panama and other South and Central America countries I lived in.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I got the best security in the world
We hear a noise at night and instantly the wife is sneaking down the stairs with her machete. Asked her what she will do if the thief has a gun? Told me " I will cut that hand off first." Did I marry the tight girl or what?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
does your wife hold the machete between her teeth, like do, so that our hands are free to silently strangle the intruder?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not sure about how she holds the machete. Its in the dark. Trying to be silent is certainly not her thing. When she comes back to bed she usually does not have the machete in her teeth.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I got the best security in the world
We hear a noise at night and instantly the wife is sneaking down the stairs with her machete. Asked her what she will do if the thief has a gun? Told me " I will cut that hand off first." Did I marry the tight girl or what?

sounds like my wife.. a thief would end up spread out over the countryside