Lawyer extorting me :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea Duguay

May 2, 2015
I hate posting here because usually all I get is people bashing me. But, nonetheless, I will in, hopes that I can get some useful advice. Gave my lawyer money to deposit to the Banca De Agricola. He says he did but will not provide me with the certificate. He told me the lawyer of my landlord wanted to pick it up but when I spoke to my landlord's mother she said that is a lie. Everytime I mention the money my lawyer evades the topic. There is also an arrest warrant out for my landlord for harassing and threatening me and my lawyer says I need to give the police 1000 pesos to execute the warrant. I already paid my lawyer a substantial amount of money to keep me in the apartment but that never happened. Now I have moved. I have all the proof of the extortion through my Whatsapp messages and witnesses.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fabio guzman from guzman ariza looks at threads in this section and answers some of the queries. do you have any specific questions relating to the situation you described? like, do you want to sue lawyer and/or landlord? you want to know what are your rights in this situation? are you looking for reliable law firm to take you on as a client?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hate posting here because usually all I get is people bashing me. But, nonetheless, I will in, hopes that I can get some useful advice. Gave my lawyer money to deposit to the Banca De Agricola. He says he did but will not provide me with the certificate. He told me the lawyer of my landlord wanted to pick it up but when I spoke to my landlord's mother she said that is a lie. Everytime I mention the money my lawyer evades the topic. There is also an arrest warrant out for my landlord for harassing and threatening me and my lawyer says I need to give the police 1000 pesos to execute the warrant. I already paid my lawyer a substantial amount of money to keep me in the apartment but that never happened. Now I have moved. I have all the proof of the extortion through my Whatsapp messages and witnesses.

i only want to know one thing, and that is why you did not deposit the money yourself...you know the reputation of these dudes. putting money in their hands is foolhardy..

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If you want something done right, sometimes it best just to do it yourself.

drSooz

Nov 2, 2014
Such a shame to be ripped off by the ones who rip you off legally. We've used Guzemon for years....very honest man.
I have a friend who went back after living here for years and sold her car and had her lawyer 'hold' the money.....it never appeared. Sad.

Jan 9, 2004

IMHO...the best advice.....let it go....move on....lesson learned....do not throw away more good money and time.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
No point in hiring another lawyer. You got screwed off one, imagine how much two working together will cost you. Take yourself to a court and order a summons for him to appear. Not a court near where he operates and will know the magistrates. Go with your case, make it yourself, and hope you get a decent minded magistate.

Or, beat his head in with a tyre iron and call it a loss.

More money on lawyers is not intelligent financially. Move on.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No point in hiring another lawyer. You got screwed off one, imagine how much two working together will cost you. Take yourself to a court and order a summons for him to appear. Not a court near where he operates and will know the magistrates. Go with your case, make it yourself, and hope you get a decent minded magistate.

Or, beat his head in with a tyre iron and call it a loss.

More money on lawyers is not intelligent financially. Move on.

the big problem will be to find a decent magistrate....

welcome back, HUG.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
the big problem will be to find a decent magistrate....

welcome back, HUG.

Yeh, but can be had if you go out of city to the smaller towns. I took a lawyer from Boca Chica court and made him appear in the city and he was in a world of sh1t. Only knew the Boca Chica magistrates. Sounded more like a childrens entertainer than a lawyer in a different courthouse. Worth doing.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012

I suggest firing him, change your number and move on...Life is short and "justice" is in short supply (in the DR in particular).

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I suggest firing him, change your number and move on...Life is short and "justice" is in short supply (in the DR in particular).

Most if not all Dominican lawers have less education than you do. With that in mind try to do as much as possible by yourself. Some things need a lawyer but most do not. You will be supprised by what you can do yourself. Why hire someone dumber than yourself ?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Better not to fight here. With anyone. Better to keep things cool. You should forget it and move on. Lesson learned.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Most if not all Dominican lawers have less education than you do. With that in mind try to do as much as possible by yourself. Some things need a lawyer but most do not. You will be supprised by what you can do yourself. Why hire someone dumber than yourself ?

try to remember a basic reality about the DR. you qualify to be a lawyer by attending class once a week, 4 hours per day, for 3 years. that would not qualify you for a cashier?s job in a first world country.

Jan 7, 2016
Some people in this world thrive on being screwed...go figure. Keeps all kinds of dispute resolution companies and lawyers in business.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Lawyers in this country are like Bancas. There's one on every corner ( if not two or three ),

This should tell you something...

Jan 7, 2016
In the U.S. there are 5 times more attorneys than Medical Doctors and the attorneys spend all their time and energy going after the Doctors and the Doctors spend all their free time defending their reputations and practices to benefit the attorneys. Life goes-on!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You seem to get screwed all the time maybe contact CC to get a course in how to deal with Dominicans? ;)

"Don't get Mad, GET EVEN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't feel bad ANDREA, I have been "Screwed" by dominicans so many times over the last 30 years, I feel like a "Malecon Hooker".
Sadly, by the ones I have known the longest, and THOUGHT were my friends.

Sooner, or later, their real Dominican SIDE WINS THEM OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I DO get even from time to time, and it feels Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Gooooooooooooooooood!!!!
As I have said MANY TIMES, having a General in the "Policia National" as my next-door-neighbor opens many doors, and puts some people "Behind" closed doors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.