Another wind farm for the DR underway

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Parque Eolico Larimar!

image_content_5346707_20150805123744.jpg

ege-haina-anuncia-comenzo-a-recibir-aerogeneradores-del-parque-eolico-larimar.jpeg

CaYrgp6WAAA6TPz.jpg

CZ5x4rdWEAEKMz5.jpg

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
With the price of electricity in the Dominican spot market about 7 cents per kw/h, they are pretty much useless except for keeping down some bird populations. 7 cents per kw/h probably does not even cover the maintenance on those suckers, not to speak of capital costs.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
maintenance, what maintenance? We dont need no stinkin maintenance. Such pretty pictures. Almost wants to make me want to invest.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
With the price of electricity in the Dominican spot market about 7 cents per kw/h, they are pretty much useless except for keeping down some bird populations. 7 cents per kw/h probably does not even cover the maintenance on those suckers, not to speak of capital costs.

Think where the money stays and doesn't have to be exported.

It could be higher and yet benefits the local economy in the long term. The whole point is not just to create a cheaper means of producing electricity, but halting the import of non-renewable sources to do it. Leaving all that capital circulating in a loop within the local economy and also using renewable sources to that end.

Every 1% helps the end game = Energy independence! Capital stays home and grows the local economy in the billions of U.S. Dollars.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Still, so much better than those coal-fired power stations they are building.

Coal fired power stations that are designed to be fitted to also burn other renewable raw materials down the line!

Again, the end game is all you have to think about when you see these.

We also have coal in the DR, but we yet don't have the installed capacity to extract it in the amounts needed to feed these ones.

It's all a long term project that seeks to free-up the DR from raw material for energy generation imports.

This long term plan also includes efficiency appliances and energy saving guidelines that will be introduced in steps.

Just banning 100% the manufacture, sales and use of incandescent bulbs would have a huge impact on energy wasted in the country to name just one.

All gov buildings are being fitted to use solar energy and efficient lighting. It takes time and money to implement.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
these mofoka wings are HUGE! great things. i wish i could see them from up close.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Think where the money stays and doesn't have to be exported.

It could be higher and yet benefits the local economy in the long term. The whole point is not just to create a cheaper means of producing electricity, but halting the import of non-renewable sources to do it. Leaving all that capital circulating in a loop within the local economy and also using renewable sources to that end.

Every 1% helps the end game = Energy independence! Capital stays home and grows the local economy in the billions of U.S. Dollars.

A little energy independence goes a long way. Many of the oil exporters (middle east in general, Venezuela, Nigeria) are political basket cases, so anything that can be done to insulate oneself is a good idea.

Nice pics, Pitchy!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
T Boone Pickens says wind energy is dead and took out his investments. Says cheap natural gas has killed wind energy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Paul.
this is in my back yard... a huge wind farm

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/b...ickens-wind-claim-may-be-last-power-play.html

It's all about energy pricing... which price serves better

NextEra is a division of FLA Power & Light.... no midget company.

I think the Lake Huron wind project is the largest in NoAmerica..... huge.
My friend assembled the land leases for them... NextEra.... there is another company too

They're quite pretty on the horizon, majestic..... for me, anyway.
I have my back to them

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
good article... T Boone knows a thing or two about energy. Wind energy certainly would not hurt here on the island but cheap cheap natural gas in north America makes it only attractive to the hard core environmentalists. He predicted that oil would break 100 dollars a barrel and predicted its subsequent collapse. He has said oil will remain cheap or inexpensive for the next 15 years.
Anyway , ya gotta give credit to a guy who donates 100 million dollars to his alma-mater (Oklahoma State) so they can build a new football stadium. He definitely has an inside track on the keystone pipe line, he and his buddy Jerry(dallas cowboys) Jones

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Coal fired power stations that are designed to be fitted to also burn other renewable raw materials down the line!

Again, the end game is all you have to think about when you see these.

We also have coal in the DR, but we yet don't have the installed capacity to extract it in the amounts needed to feed these ones.

It's all a long term project that seeks to free-up the DR from raw material for energy generation imports.

This long term plan also includes efficiency appliances and energy saving guidelines that will be introduced in steps.

Just banning 100% the manufacture, sales and use of incandescent bulbs would have a huge impact on energy wasted in the country to name just one.

All gov buildings are being fitted to use solar energy and efficient lighting. It takes time and money to implement.

PICHARDO, can you tell us about the renewable raw materials the coal plants can be retrofitted to burn..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
good article... T Boone knows a thing or two about energy. Wind energy certainly would not hurt here on the island but cheap cheap natural gas in north America makes it only attractive to the hard core environmentalists. He predicted that oil would break 100 dollars a barrel and predicted its subsequent collapse. He has said oil will remain cheap or inexpensive for the next 15 years.
Anyway , ya gotta give credit to a guy who donates 100 million dollars to his alma-mater (Oklahoma State) so they can build a new football stadium. He definitely has an inside track on the keystone pipe line, he and his buddy Jerry(dallas cowboys) Jones

Old and wise

I was surprised by his age.

That fight is all around me on Lake Huron..... I forget how many they are.
It all keys to which source is the cheapest at the time.

Renewable? wind we have forever..... time will tell

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Saw a big wind farm in Barahona which surprised me.Right on the coast but when I was there nothing was turning out of scores of windmills.

Somebody is making a bunch of money,but it's sure not from power generation..

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
maybe you would care to divulge which pellets these may be....

There are plenty of these posted in this very DR1 forum Gorgojos, seek them!

Energy pellets that can be burned as it they were charcoal...

All from renewable sources! Before these alternates can become abundant enough, the demand must be there installed to be commercially viable in large scale.

That's why the DR picked this plant over other offered by the U.S. when they came to visit and push their companies here.

Mainly GE wanted to build their next generation Natural Gas plant here.

It was decided that until the Natural Gas Pipelines was installed from the facility where it stands now to the interior, such plant would be too expensive to finance until it became commercially viable.

We asked about financing included for the pipeline to the plant from our U.S. friends and the answer was it had to be done from a secondary deal in the commercial banking system.

The answer was this plant!