Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by granca View Post
    Could you start a thread about relations between Haitians and Dominicans. For some of us ex-pats it is awfully difficult to know and to learn
    more about this subject in my adopted country. I have met quite a lot of Haitians and don't dislike any of them, why then the antipathy?
    For example; who, what, and why is this Amici family about whom I only ever hear snippets.
    Do people really find it hard to use the search option? Perhaps that's a more relevant question for Robert, how to make the search option more visible for newbies? (Are you even a newbie?)

Here are some hints:

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...h-the-Evidence

In many of the descriptions by foreigners that visited in the 1800's and early 1900's they mention the Haitian issue as well.

When a neighbor spends the better part of a century trying to dominate you and at times literally trying to wipe you out for good (the Dominican-Haitian War lasted 12 years, one of the longest wars of independence in the hemisphere and possibly the world, every single battle initiated by the Haitians and fought on Dominican soil -have a guess why-), that's not going to do down too well for many generations. That's the tip of the iceberg.

Polls Forum Moderator

2. Likes CristoRey, airgordo, spmc, Chellow liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drSix View Post
    HA!!! Thanks. Yup, "show images" was unchecked in the settings.

Now, back to the Haitians... I'm leaving the Island in a short 7 months, never to return. If I were to go to Haiti, where should I go?
    Well first off if you leave the island it won't get you to Haiti, since it is on the same island as the DR.

4. Likes drstock, Aguaita29, windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoRubio View Post
    This is quite a question for a forum. A few points:

* historical - there is a lot of history here as Dominicans are an unruly, independent lot and once ranged over the whole island of Hispaniola. That is until the Spanish allowed the French to set up a colony as a means to deal with this unruly lot with their dreadful notions of freedom, independence, and self determination.

* again historical - Haitians had more than a few military incursions into Santo Domingo (the country) and ruled it once.

* Haitians are black and this is a culture that has a fine tuned color social hierarchy based on the shade of your skin.

* Haitians displace Dominicans by working for lower rates.

* Haitians don't integrate - by and large they stick to their own and don't learn Spanish.

* and, the AIDS/SEDA thing is real. They suffer from much higher infection rates. Fear is always a basis for discrimination.

My girlfriend also speaks Creole so I move in several circles including Haitians. They are by and large very a decent people undeserving of the woe heaped on them.
    Almost all of the Haitians I meet speak Spanish. I spend time in the batay in Munoz. I was teaching English there, and have come in contact with a hundred or more. Only a couple do not speak Spanish. Funny thing though I can understand some of their Spanish better than my lady friend can. The seller of aguacate said 20 pesos and she kept saying huh? But I understood the first time.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Nals, can you make that thread a sticky?

is it possible to download and save a thread easily?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mofongoloco View Post
    Nals, can you make that thread a sticky?

is it possible to download and save a thread easily?
    What means a sticky? Is there some manner in which one of them is easier to access when it gets older than a regular one? We get people resuscitating threads 3 4 and even 7 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    What means a sticky? Is there some manner in which one of them is easier to access when it gets older than a regular one? We get people resuscitating threads 3 4 and even 7 years old.
    Sticky is a thread that doesn't disappear in time.........
    1. Click on the Forum button located in the Upper left hand corner of the screen, under the dr1 logo.
    2. Pick a particular Forum..........
    3. Scroll down a bit after you click on Forum, you will see this heading, " Title / Thread Starter"
    4. Under that, you will see this, "Sticky Threads ", now you can view threads that are deemed important enough to save.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Nals a most helpful post.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly is a helpful thread. The first online book I read cover to cover on an ereader was a 19th century travelogue nals led me to. I'll try to find the link.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

More visceral then that. Listening to my Dominicano gardener talk about Haitians, was the first time I had actually seen first hand, real racism. Not, "ha ha, Mexicans are lazy", but he actually thought of them as lesser beings, or animals. He said they all have AIDS, and are disgusting and stupid, lazy and are going to ruin the DR if the come. It was rather eye opening.
    Leaving the Discriminatory part of your statement, it looks like you had NOT seen this picture before...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

HA!!! Thanks. Yup, "show images" was unchecked in the settings.

Now, back to the Haitians... I'm leaving the Island in a short 7 months, never to return. If I were to go to Haiti, where should I go?
    Excellent...Go to Cite du Soleil on port au prince, that will teach you plenty stuff about HOW things are in that side
    Last edited by airgordo; 02-29-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast