What is an acceptable wage for expats wanting to work here in the DR?

web

Nov 5, 2005
Hi, so most of the call centers as you know are located in Santiago and Santo Domingo and employ dominican residents. However they only pay about 125 pesos per hour at the most plus some commission which for the most part is unreachable to obtain. This is fine for residents as they need to make a living and I understand that. What I have found however is that the quality of the call center agent is very low level and that expats are not willing to accept $2.50 usd per hour. My question is what would you the expat be willing to accept for a wage in us dollars if in fact you would agree to a telemarketing position either working from home or in an office? We are a startup and will pay a base salary plus commission for lead generation and appointment setting and will be compliant with DR labor law.

Sep 4, 2012
Chicken and the egg -- if you'll be in compliance with DR labor department then a expat should not be allowed to make more than their DR counter-parts for the same job skills.

web

Nov 5, 2005
You asked what would be an acceptable paycheck for an expat doing what Dominicans do at call centers?

Expat's (most) and I am generalizing, would not work for $2.50 an hour, hence my reply.

Exactly, thus we are willing to pay more for expats and the best Dominican agents. What would you accept for an hourly wage in dollars keeping in mind we will also be paying per appt or lead?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
How much average could someone expect to make off the extras only? I would personally take that into account as people often look at the end result rather than how they would get there when they first consider applying for a job.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I haven't worked for 2.50 an hour in 40 years. 14-15 I might think about doing it but that is because I am bored.

web

Nov 5, 2005
How much average could someone expect to make off the extras only? I would personally take that into account as people often look at the end result rather than how they would get there when they first consider applying for a job.

A realistic projection is $2000 usd a month
$1000 in base salary and another $1000 in bonus

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have managed a few centers here.

If you managed a center then it was up to you to hire the right people and then make sure they had the training to do the job correctly. I broker to call centers and have also owned them. Yes, the good, responsible employees are far and few between but they surely exist.
On a recent call to the new offices of the largest call center in the country I commented to the owner that anyone would be hard pressed to say what country his center was located if they didn't already know. He has a nice cafeteria for his employees, a medical area to attend to basic illness problems and a day care which is almost free to the employees. He has a quality staff and employees.

web

Nov 5, 2005
If you managed a center then it was up to you to hire the right people and then make sure they had the training to do the job correctly. I broker to call centers and have also owned them. Yes, the good, responsible employees are far and few between but they surely exist.
On a recent call to the new offices of the largest call center in the country I commented to the owner that anyone would be hard pressed to say what country his center was located if they didn't already know. He has a nice cafeteria for his employees, a medical area to attend to basic illness problems and a day care which is almost free to the employees. He has a quality staff and employees.

Thats great! Congratulations! How much would you accept per hour?

Sep 4, 2012
Exactly, thus we are willing to pay more for expats and the best Dominican agents. What would you accept for an hourly wage in dollars keeping in mind we will also be paying per appt or lead?

Personally and thank God (knock on wood), I don't need the job, however; (and I am assuming) I don't believe you'll get any reception from expat's unless the pay + benefits are close to the poverty line in the USA..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
eh... i remember when this canadian gal who opened "healthy" restaurant in sosua posted employment offer at low salary people her laughed at her yet she still got few interested expats willing to do the job. thus, the acceptable wage is a wage that will be accepted by the actual candidate. there are many expats who are on here low income, who need to supplement their pension, who are bored out of their heads and just want to do something.

Sep 4, 2012
That is a possibility but the OP is also looking for certain skills, talent and experience; all of this comes with a price. There are no doubts some expat's would accept it, but will it be plausible to accept the conditions....

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
A realistic projection is $2000 usd a month
$1000 in base salary and another $1000 in bonus

Huh? What am I missing here? $1000 in monthly "base salary" divided by $2.50 per hour = 400 hours per month or approximately 100 hours per week!

web

Nov 5, 2005
Huh? What am I missing here? $1000 in monthly "base salary" divided by $2.50 per hour = 400 hours per month or approximately 100 hours per week!

Base salary / hrs worked in one month

$1000 / 160 hrs = $6.25 usd per hr

web

Nov 5, 2005
Personally and thank God (knock on wood), I don't need the job, however; (and I am assuming) I don't believe you'll get any reception from expat's unless the pay + benefits are close to the poverty line in the USA..

Not far away I think minimum wage in the states is $7.25 an hour...Then there are certain tax advantages

Sep 4, 2012
I believe you could draw some attention selling the eggs not just for the hourly value but due to the tail in terms of housing, tax, bonuses and commissions. Perhaps flexing in the amount of hours required (expats need time to enjoy themselves, hence the reason they became expat's), a good PR campaign will do the trick.