canadian tourists robbed in POP

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
When will people who travel start bringing their street smarts with them? Leave the bling home!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
urbanizacion atlantica is a regular residential zone. not bad. padre granero, on the other hand...

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
When will people who travel start bringing their street smarts with them? Leave the bling home!

Most people dont vacation to practice their street smarts. And it is a shame that robbing and taking advantage of tourists isnt more frowned upon, as opposed to you know, leave your bling at home. The statement kind of reminds me of people asking what a rape victim was wearing. Anyway, I am betting that at least those tourists wont be returning and they will probably share their experience of their visit to a #%*#% hole country with all of their friends.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
poor barrios make me feel slightly claustrophobic. the maze of narrow streets is kinda hard for the size of the car i drive and my level of driving skills. :rolleyes:
it's no surprise that the thieves managed to escape, they must know every nook of that area.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
urbanizacion atlantica is a regular residential zone. not bad. padre granero, on the other hand...

I lived in that area last year for 7 months,it's all bad at night. I could make a case that you don't walk anywhere in Puerto Plata at night,period. And what is a tourist doing in that area in the first place,Atlantica is not exactly a tourist destination.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I lived in that area last year for 7 months,it's all bad at night. I could make a case that you don't walk anywhere in Puerto Plata at night,period. And what is a tourist doing in that area in the first place,Atlantica is not exactly a tourist destination.

Maybe they were visiting the Brugal factory.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007

Made a wrong turn one night into Padre Granaro. Still have no idea how I escaped with four tires on my car.:eek:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe they were visiting the Brugal factory.

i frequently see tourists walk from iberostar to the city centre (not that far, really). so maybe the canadian was just passing that area and stopped at a colmado to get something to drink. or maybe he is a frequent visitor in the area.

try it in a truck. sometimes you have to back up

it's more of a moto paradise, i recon :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Street smarts are a learned skill set. The skill set tourists employ at home is often not enough in a foreign country. It takes time and experience to develop a robust survival strategy. If you never look behind you to see if you are being targeted, you'll never see them coming. Here in the DR anything that catches the interest of a ladrone is more than enough provocation. All they then need is the opportunity and the desire to act (poverty provides more than enough desire).

If you provide the opportunity to become a victim then you have to accept that you may well become one. Unfortunately, most people aren't being stalked by tigers as prey most days, so it is understandable that they don't appreciate the nature of their environment when on vacation.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
regardless its still a shame you have to have your guard up when visiting here on a vacation. I was downtown in the square in Puerto plata last night and there were 9 armed guards. its not the tourists fault. people will stop coming here again if they cannot stop the crime. Jewelry, ipads, phones or not they are going to rob tourists. they need to kill the thieves. You cannot prepare yourself enough in this country. the best way is to not go there. You can think you are street smart all you want and they will still rob you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think this talking about tourists being so silly and unprepared is a bit disdainful. puerto plata digital almost daily puts out articles about dominicans being robbed and attacked in puerto plata and they are not blind, dumb and unaware of their surroundings. yet daily they get phones stolen from their hands, bags ripped from their arms, small items stolen from houses and cars. heck, just this week some poor gal was on her way back from church when she was attacked and had the bible stolen from her (on the account of having nothing else) but not without being groped first.

you cannot blame victims for walking around, holding things, basically - just living their lives.