Master of the Ocean

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The final for surfing event has been moved to Celuisma near LaBoca from Encuentro. Police have the Encuentro area cordoned off due to vandalism according to beach talk. Does anyone have the details of what has actually happened for the venue to suddenly change? This is such a wonderful competition it is a shame if fools have ruined the finale.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
There always seems to be problems in around Encuentro beach. Shady real estate and business deals, vandalism.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Encuentro looks a bit different today

2n9w7dl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did not understand this article at first. the connection was not there until OP asked about moving the event and then it all fell into place.

sad.

cabarete noticias is a neat page i look at sometimes. it is mainly dedicated to environmental issues and all sorts of shady deals going on in cabarete area. it's a nice stretch of a coast, starting after sosua, through cabatere and past it, towards nagua and further. lots of the places are really unspoiled and pristine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now the question is, the government went in to close a certain business. Did the government go in an just take out all of the businesses?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's always our Sindico candidate..

Arismendy.

No idea what's going on but be sure he is behind it..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The rants on the FB page are useless, as to be expected.

As far as I see it, the government just came in and took out illegal businesses. Much like what has been said would happen on Sosua beach for years.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
The rants on the FB page are useless, as to be expected.

As far as I see it, the government just came in and took out illegal businesses. Much like what has been said would happen on Sosua beach for years.

Not even close windeguy. The Master of the Ocean event was sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism. The vandals caused the destruction seen in the pictures requiring the event to be moved. The Ministry of Tourism ordered CESTUR into action. They leveled a restaurant belonging to the suspected ring leader. Some of the gang have been arrested and CESTUR and PN have been involved in a major manhunt for the suspected ring leader who has been hiding out. CESTUR did close the beach as a precaution against further violence

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not even close windeguy. The Master of the Ocean event was sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism. The vandals caused the destruction seen in the pictures requiring the event to be moved. The Ministry of Tourism ordered CESTUR into action. They leveled a restaurant belonging to the suspected ring leader. Some of the gang have been arrested and CESTUR and PN have been involved in a major manhunt for the suspected ring leader who has been hiding out. CESTUR did close the beach as a precaution against further violence

On this, I am glad to know that I am not even close. Thank you for the information.

I would say that it is surprising that this concise information is not readily available, but then I realize where we are.

What was the motivation for the vandalism?

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
The fear factor explains why there is not much info out there on this. But the police say the wanted man sent a message to the authorities that he will turn himself in on Monday. Meanwhile he is apparently contacting his political connections trying to arrange a safe landing which has worked for him in the past. The motivation is that the organizers of the annual event did not pay him off this time. Think of the movie The Godfather. I'm sure there will be more coming out in the week ahead.