Euro Bills

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
My wife needs to exchange some 500 and 200 Euro bills to Pesos but Dominican banks and casas de cambio don't want to accept them, claiming they are illegal in the DR.
Any ideas?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
How many and where are you? I need to buy euros to bring them to Europe and wouldn't mind carrying 200 or 500 bills.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
They are valid currency.

Straying a bit but Great Britain is moving forward to BAN the 500 Euro note due to it's ease of smuggling large amounts
of cash in small spaces, apparently it's the preferred bank note of the bad guys and commonly know as the Bin Laden...
The good guys know its moving across borders but they can't find it.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Straying a bit but Great Britain is moving forward to BAN the 500 Euro note due to it's ease of smuggling large amounts
of cash in small spaces, apparently it's the preferred bank note of the bad guys and commonly know as the Bin Laden...
The good guys know its moving across borders but they can't find it.

GB isn't part of the Euro currency. They have zero say in what to BAN.

The would be similar to Zimbabwe banning USD. Good luck to the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
They are valid currency.

Leave it to Dominicans to claim knowledge of illegality of foreign denominations..

As said in a similar thread, while they are valid and legal currency, I understand why businesses might hesitate accepting them, in particular if you are not using them to purchase something, only to change them / buying another currency.

I used to deal a lot with cash at work many years ago in Europe (where EUR of course is not a foreign currency), and the business I worked at, was relatively large (a few hundred locations), and we did not accept anything larger than 100 EUR bills either, unless used for paying for goods (meaning that if you purchased an item worth 299 EUR, yes, we took the 500 EUR note, just inspected it very carefully, but if it was clear that you were there to exchange it for change, then we refused the note).

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
As said in a similar thread, while they are valid and legal currency, I understand why businesses might hesitate accepting them, in particular if you are not using them to purchase something, only to change them / buying another currency.

I used to deal a lot with cash at work many years ago in Europe (where EUR of course is not a foreign currency), and the business I worked at, was relatively large (a few hundred locations), and we did not accept anything larger than 100 EUR bills either, unless used for paying for goods (meaning that if you purchased an item worth 299 EUR, yes, we took the 500 EUR note, just inspected it very carefully, but if it was clear that you were there to exchange it for change, then we refused the note).

This is a common policy with any amounts over 50 euros these days.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
This is a common policy with any amounts over 50 euros these days.

In this case, with all due respect, you have left me a bit confused as to why was it strange that the large bills are not widely accepted in the DR, if there is a strict policy in place in EU (where the bills come from, obviously) as well?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
In this case, with all due respect, you have left me a bit confused as to why was it strange that the large bills are not widely accepted in the DR, if there is a strict policy in place in EU (where the bills come from, obviously) as well?

I understand. In the end companies must accept legal tender as a matter of principle. It is not up to them to accept or not accept legal tender.

The only loophole can be found in the requirement to pay more or less in tender that corresponds with your purchase.

I have paid with large bills many times for purchases that warranted their use, nothwithstanding the company initially objecting.

bloody67

Jan 16, 2011
There is a exchange hoyse here in sabto domingo that does accept the 200 and 500 ..i will need to ask my cousin whats the correct name and address ..we change 7 , 500 Bills Euro about 2 weeks ago ...good rate and no problem..I just texted him ..once he responds i will post it.

bloody67

Jan 16, 2011
when u think about ..their are 1000 swiss feanc notes also ...so i guess the bad guy uses those to ....how stupid r u people. 1000 Swiss note r very widely used and accepted Worldwide . just like the Euro 500 notes...poor dumb peasants u lot

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
when u think about ..their are 1000 swiss feanc notes also ...so i guess the bad guy uses those to ....how stupid r u people. 1000 Swiss note r very widely used and accepted Worldwide . just like the Euro 500 notes...poor dumb peasants u lot

Who exactly are you calling a peasant?
DR is a 2.5 world country with a lot of poverty, and rampant fraud.
Guess where much of the fraud originates putz?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

It has been written up several times in the not too distant past that many countries are talking about banning large bills. It is just a method of keeping the little people down if you ask me. If you have illions you swap it from one bank to another, but if not it is a sin to carry around large bills?
Der Fish

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Dont know about 500€ bills.
But the 200's I have changed in lots of places. In caribe express santiago and imbert, for sure, and recently.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
How many and where are you? I need to buy euros to bring them to Europe and wouldn't mind carrying 200 or 500 bills.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier but I am travelling and have only occasional internet access.
I will sent you a PM later today after my wife will have told me how much she would like to exchange.
Thanks!