Dominicanisms

Jul 28, 2014

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Unique? Taking advantage of genuine kindness. But you can't blame them. Common sense doesn't really exist. Not complaining just observation. The majority can't "reason".

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
que lo que mi hermano is a very nice barrio expression that I prefer to que tal ? I also like the pouting of the lips and the wrinkling of the nose normally done also witha slight closing of eyes .

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
que lo que mi hermano is a very nice barrio expression that I prefer to que tal ? I also like the pouting of the lips and the wrinkling of the nose normally done also witha slight closing of eyes .

Or rolling of the eyes. First time I saw that thought it was having a stroke.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have always been amazed by the fridge/iron belief. Every time i iron i open the fridge, just to show off my special immunity skills.

we could also add the galipota (??), ie a human can transform himself into an animal, witches, nanitos ( small elf like creatures that live in the hills )
Yes, yes unbelievable. Heard it often from my in-laws. Less from aquaintances, especially city folk. So I thought it was a campesino belief.
But no it turns out they are very, very wary of disscussing galipotas with foreigners, cos " all you will do is laugh at us ". Who ?? Me ??? No !! :) :) :)
Had that talk this evenning at apero time with successful dominicans.
( obviously not proper to the dr. This is a disclosure for the white lone dominican ranger.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I have always been amazed by the fridge/iron belief. Every time i iron i open the fridge, just to show off my special immunity skills.

we could also add the galipota (??), ie a human can transform himself into an animal, witches, nanitos ( small elf like creatures that live in the hills )
Yes, yes unbelievable. Heard it often from my in-laws. Less from aquaintances, especially city folk. So I thought it was a campesino belief.
But no it turns out they are very, very wary of disscussing galipotas with foreigners, cos " all you will do is laugh at us ". Who ?? Me ??? No !! :) :) :)
Had that talk this evenning at apero time with successful dominicans.
( obviously not proper to the dr. This is a disclosure for the white lone dominican ranger.

Think about it, the iron and the refrigerator are the two hungriest power consuming appliances in the house (assuming they don't own a clothes dryer) and power distribution there isn't exactly up to NEC standard. Anyone who has no idea how electricity works is going to experience the lower line voltage and dimming of lights that comes when household current crowbars bringing the voltage below operating level and after the 2nd time it cannot be explained and has to be "magic" just like how they get all those little People in the TV box.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Twenty years experience with the Dominican Republic and I never picked up on the facial expressions. Thank you. For clearing up a couple of things I didn't realize needed clearing up .

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Unique? Taking advantage of genuine kindness. But you can't blame them. Common sense doesn't really exist. Not complaining just observation. The majority can't "reason".

Common sense? Reason?

You're asking way too much.

These semi humans in the Dominican can barely take up space and oxygen. And I give them a lot of credit for that.