How about jobs in the hotel business?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ok...here's another question for all you "wise" and "lucky" people that already live in my "dream"...

My daughter has a B.S. in Hospitality Management...and she's coming with me when I move...She's 25...Beautiful!!!

How does one go about looking for a job in the Hotel Industry over there? Just call the hotels and make appointments like we do here in the States?

And, does anybody in this forum have any good connections with some of the better hotels? At least that's what they told me before. that a good recommendation is always better than any resum?, (c.v.)...

Please, good people...let me know...My "dream" seems to be getting closer and closer since I found this site!!!

Thanks...By the way...so you can see why I want to go to D.R.

It's Saturday morning...and I'm working!!! until 10:00 a.m.
If anybody wants to check it out...click on http://www.salsa98.com

You'll see!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
From a dream to reality...

All right, DR is a great place, but working here is nothing of a dream... In the hotel sector, your daughter might need to speak fluent spanish and english. German and french helps a lot... She might work more for less money, in a disorganised environement. Whatever you do, make sure she doesn't work for a spanish company, they are the worst, and the bad news is they own most of the hotels in the country...
Best would be to come with a credit card, live in the country for 6 months, and slowly investigate for a job...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks Squat!

Yes, I know about reality...

I came to the U.S. when I was 14...and have gone through 3 major moves in my lifetime...I'm 46...ready to ease up a bit and enjoy the rest of my life...

My daughter does speak, read and write fluent English and Spanish...so, I think she would have a better chance of getting a good job before I do!

I just need to know if the process for applying for a job is similar to the way we do it here...in the US...

My plan is to go with enough money (like Marc suggested) for 3-4 months...and plane tickets back home...I don't plan on selling my house here, at least until I live there for a while.

Thanks for your time!

AmyG

Jan 2, 2002
Grupo Punta Cana

Buena suerte a Usted y su hija. :)

I worked for Grupo Punta Cana this past Summer, as a naturalist and researcher at Punta Cana Ecological Foundation. The Group manages Punta Cana Beach Resort and Club, as well as the International airport in Punta Cana.

The resort is wonderful, great management and friendly staff. I truly loved working there. If you are interested in the East Coast and finding work in the hotel industry, you might want to check this place out.

<a href="http://www.puntacana.com/index.html">puntacana.com</a>

Grupo Punta Cana / Punta Cana Resort and Club
PO Box 1083
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
809-221-2262
809-686-0165 Fax