Good DR bank account that does not make it difficult to open?

Apr 20, 2013
I recently attempted to open a savings account (with debit card) in Banco Popular and BHD, 2 different banks each
with no success. I live in Santo Domingo.

This is what I brought based on what they told me I needed beforehand:

1. Passport
2. 3 months bank statements from other bank
3. Reference letter from other bank
4. Reference letter from Dominican person and client of bank
5. Apartment rental receipt
6. Letter from Employer

Both BHD banks told me I couldn't open an account because I have been in the country over 3 months
and my tourist visa was expired.

Both Popular banks told me that my Bank reference letter had to be in Spanish (it's a USA bank) and that my
Apartment rental receipt and my Dominican reference letter were "informal". I rent my apartment every 2 weeks
from the landlord and he prints me off a receipt with the dates, signatures, address and everything from his
computer. The Dominican reference letter was hand written. They also told me that my scanned/printed
bank reference letter and employee letter that I had emailed to me had to be the originals.

To me it seems ridiculous to give me that much hassle just to open a savings account especially when I brought
everything (and more) that they asked for. They need the 2 sentence bank reference letter in Spanish when
it's a USA bank? They need me to hassle my bank and employer to have them mail me a letter outside of the country because
it can't be a scanned copy? At BHD I was even friends with an employee there who was referring me to the bank
and they still wouldn't let me open an account since I've been here more than 90 days with no cedula.

I had the vibe at Popular that the male bankers at both banks were just making it difficult
for me because I was a foreigner and they had some type of insecure ego thing going on.

Anyways, can someone tell me where I should go specifically (branch and location in Santo Domingo) to open a savings account
(USD and Peso) with debit card (with Visa/Mastercard logo) where I won't have a problem opening the account
when I come with all of these documents. If anyone has a reference at the bank that could help me that'd be
cool too. English preferred but I can do Spanish also.

And also based on what you experienced what documents does this bank need specifically?

Thanks

Last edited:

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Try with another branch... perhaps more easy

I opened mine with BHD with bank reference letter (from another local bank in my case, in your case you need one from USA), passport, proof of income (in my case was 3 months bank statement no-local), and 2 local reference (just wanted the name and phone number).

Before was more easy

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I?d try (various branches) of Banreservas. I have opened various accounts, but in Puerto Plata, with no documentation except my passport. I was asked for 1-2 references, which I gave instantly (as in, speaking), I was asked very generally what do I do, and that was all.

The tourist visa being expired sounds strange to me, as I always keep my eyes on my passport when in bank, and no matter what bank or branch, they have never ever looked it further than the identification page. This even after the immigration rules changed.

From Banreservas I have had a DOP account, USD account and the MC debit card, all with the same requirements.

With the exact same requirements, also opened an account with Banco Leon, but that was before BHD had something to do with that. However, I did apply for their new prepaid debit card recently, and again, no requirements.

I?d try a branch (sorry, no idea of Santo Domingo) to where you?d imagine not a lot of expats go, and try my best to carry out things in Spanish.

Could be that things are different at diffent banks, but the 3 bank statements and apartment rental receipt sound absurd to me. Nothing like that is required even in EU (where I have been).

The latest account I (USD savings account) opened jointly with my wife, and to my surprise they were not able to open the account from her side with her cedula, but only with her Domicinan passport, and only for the reason that she has a EU-residency. So for me it was ok to open it just with my foreign passport, but her national identity card was declined, and this she having another account with them for more than 10 years...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I've had an account at Popular for years and they know me at the main branch in Santiago. If you are ever in Santiago I wouldn't mind meeting you there and try to help you out.
Even 9 years ago, I had to jump through all their hoops, and, it was easier then than now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The expired tourist card might be a bigger hurdle than you think.

If they find one way to refuse you - they will 'pile on'.... and give you 3 more shortfalls (IMO)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The OP could be retitled, "How does an illegal alien open a bank account in the DR?"

It appears the answer is with difficulty.

Jan 7, 2016
Actually, Popular provided me with an account only on the word of our realtor when we bought our condo here several years ago. They looked and copied our passports and opened the account immediately. Wasn't a problem in 2011, but who knows now...

Actually, Popular provided me with an account only on the word of our realtor when we bought our condo here several years ago. They looked and copied our passports and opened the account immediately. Wasn't a problem in 2011, but who knows now...

It has been said that some Popular's are not as difficult, who knows really?! Our experience was 2 years ago and Scotia was almost as difficult . Other banks are supposed to be easy but who knows how much that has changed. Banking here has aged me 10 years easy!

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
This one is not the DRs fault. If you are a US Citizen it is the US government that is making it extremely difficult to open accounts outside the US. It is really at a point where the other countries banks don't want the business because the reporting requirements are too cumbersome.
Try opening a bank account in Canada and you'll have similar issues (now). It's a different world with capital controls everywhere.

fivefingers

Jul 8, 2011
Very difficult. I managed to get one after several months of insisting at the same branch over and over with my employer's letter. I am not U.S. Citizen. I have overstayed my welcome in the country. I finally have accounts with popular and bhd.

Enviado desde mi HTC Desire 820 mediante Tapatalk

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Read up on "FATCA". Some banks here in the DR are now telling Americans that they have to close their accounts.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Banco santa cruz very easy on my part

1) letter of reference from somebody in DR
2) letter from my bank in Canada
3) proof that I live here
4) passport
5) 500$ USD deposit

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
it is actuallya good idea to open a bank....people are always depositing money////etc,,,

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I like Banco Progreso.

I am warmly greeted by my first name when I enter the branch. I walk straight up to the counter to do my business and I'm out again 1 minute later.

The people who like Banco Popular or BanReservas are those with way too much time to waste and see queuing a hobby.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think the key for you and others is the employer's involvement. Payroll accounts (aka "cuentas de nomina") appear to be easier to obtain. I converted several into a personal accounts that the banks have allowed me to enhance with various products of theirs (debit cards, etc.). The downside is both Popular and BHD relentlessly spam me with e-mail and telemarketing offers. They ignore my online, telephone, and in person requests to discontinue marketing contacts.

Very difficult. I managed to get one after several months of insisting at the same branch over and over with my employer's letter. I am not U.S. Citizen. I have overstayed my welcome in the country. I finally have accounts with popular and bhd.

Enviado desde mi HTC Desire 820 mediante Tapatalk

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
easy peasy, maybe the $500 is what's making it hard for some?

Banco santa cruz very easy on my part

1) letter of reference from somebody in DR
2) letter from my bank in Canada
3) proof that I live here
4) passport
5) 500$ USD deposit

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I asked my bank - Progreso - just today, about the requirements.
Remember, they change from place to place it seems.

Passport
Letter of reference form your home bank supported by bank statements
Driver's Licence from home country

That's it if you live in Cabrera.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have a Santa Cruz account that I have been attempting to close for months. It's like banking in the 1950s. Everything is done by hand and even by the slightly more relaxed attitude I have developed towards time, everything takes forever. I am just going to let the service charges deplete the balance.