Good neurologist for neuropathy symptoms who speaks English?

Apr 20, 2013
I'm a 31 year old male and for 2 months now I've been having neuropathy symptoms: pricks and pains in feet, hands, and arms and muscle/finger/toe twitching. No other symptoms present. All started after a couple weeks of drinking alot of beer (4 nights per week maybe 10+ beers per night) and alot of beer drinking in general in 2015.

Saw a neurologist here in Santo Domingo a week after symptoms started and she diagnosed alcoholic polyneuropathy after doing blood tests and gave me b12 shots and b12 pills (b12 was 333 but now its 1274) along with some other pills called Nucleo. She told me she thinks that is the correct diagnosis but wanted me to take a EMG and nerve velocity test anyway, but I'd rather not stick a bunch of needles in my muscles if it won't really tell me anything in the end.

I need a second opinion (not sure if quick onset is normal or if the muscle twitching (legs, arms, and under ribs etc) is normal) and also more clarification on time frame for recovery and on what exactly the EMG will do for my diagnosis if it's needed. English speaking doctor wanted. In Santo Domingo preferably but will take recommendations outside of the city too. Email contact is a plus! Thanks!

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I would say that Dr. Spatali (sp?) at CMC is the best in the country - he saved my life with my brain tumor....tom

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Another recommendation for Dr. Spitali. 3 years ago he saved the life of our daughter in law who had a serious brain related illness that appeared suddenly. He diagnosed her in 20 minutes and treatment began immediately.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
I'm a 31 year old male and for 2 months now I've been having neuropathy symptoms: pricks and pains in feet, hands, and arms and muscle/finger/toe twitching. No other symptoms present. All started after a couple weeks of drinking alot of beer (4 nights per week maybe 10+ beers per night) and alot of beer drinking in general in 2015.

Saw a neurologist here in Santo Domingo a week after symptoms started and she diagnosed alcoholic polyneuropathy after doing blood tests and gave me b12 shots and b12 pills (b12 was 333 but now its 1274) along with some other pills called Nucleo. She told me she thinks that is the correct diagnosis but wanted me to take a EMG and nerve velocity test anyway, but I'd rather not stick a bunch of needles in my muscles if it won't really tell me anything in the end.

I need a second opinion (not sure if quick onset is normal or if the muscle twitching (legs, arms, and under ribs etc) is normal) and also more clarification on time frame for recovery and on what exactly the EMG will do for my diagnosis if it's needed. English speaking doctor wanted. In Santo Domingo preferably but will take recommendations outside of the city too. Email contact is a plus! Thanks!

At Hospiten in Santo Domingo there are two. One male and one female. Sorry but I cannot recall the name of the male doctor at this moment but he is very good and speaks fluent English if you need him to - ask him to.