How to wire Swiss Francs to DR

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, I know its not possible to open an account in swiss francs in this beautifull country...

But is it a way to get swiss francs sent from Switzerland over here?

:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
try a large cambio, like rusa. they have various locations and may gather smaller quantities of other money they change, aside from dollars/euros before they change elsewhere. don't ask whether they have it in a specific shop but rather whether they can check their other locations and main office. you can also inquire with banco popular. again, don't ask what they have in a specific branch but ask if they can look for it for you.

other than that, banco central.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hi everyone, I know its not possible to open an account in swiss francs in this beautifull country...

But is it a way to get swiss francs sent from Switzerland over here?

Are you trying to get CHF wired to a Dominican bank account or find hard currency in country?
To the best of my knowledge, only the latter is possible.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Im trying to get CHF wired directly from switzerland to here as I have an account in CHF and I dont want to exchange through usd or euro to get pesos...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can transfer the money in any currency you want but you can only pick it up here in the currency available. you may be able to withdraw this money in dollars but it will still cost you all the fees applicable.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
you can transfer the money in any currency you want but you can only pick it up here in the currency available. you may be able to withdraw this money in dollars but it will still cost you all the fees applicable.

The receiving bank is going to charge the OP to convert currency twice:
CHF > USD > DOP

The OP wants one Fx transaction, CHF > DOP, which is tricky, but possible.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if he has an dollar account he could do CHF to USD, right? would that be better?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How is the OP going to wire CHF in to a bank that only has USD, EUR, or DOP based accounts?

normally. he wires x amount of CHF and it gets converted into whatever currency he has the account in. or am i missing something here?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Have you spoken to a bank such as Scotiabank or BSC, and they told you they will accept a CHF wire?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
The OP wants one Fx transaction, CHF > DOP, which is tricky, but possible.

How is it possible?

Exactly I dont want to exchange chf > usd > pesos because the chf to usd went down by 20%

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It should get converted to the local currency on arrival....should be, as in maybe, as in I hope so.

Or you're going to convert twice.

Surely Switzerland can figure this out better than Chico at the RD bank ??? No ?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I asked bsc, they cant do that... But yes I should ask Scotia

According to dv8, an RD bank will take a CHF wire, ask her.
The strong USDCHF is obviously reflected in the CHFDOP tasa.
Either you are a local cambista are going to have to buy USD, there is really no way around this.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no need to get snarky, tambo. if one can do a transfer from poland in polish currency one can certainly do a transfer from switzerland in swiss currency. the issue of the OP is not how and where to find swiss francs but how to avoid exchange fees. and this is a different matter altogether.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
no need to get snarky, tambo. if one can do a transfer from poland in polish currency one can certainly do a transfer from switzerland in swiss currency. the issue of the OP is not how and where to find swiss francs but how to avoid exchange fees. and this is a different matter altogether.

A healthy debate, is not getting snarky, let's make that clear please miamol!
No need to get your VS's in a bunch.

The OP wants a single transaction from his home currency to DOP, and avoid two Fx transactions.
We both understand he is not looking to buy CHF in DR.
(The title of this thread is misleading)

I am relatively sure, not 100% positive, yes I may be wrong, one is not able to wire in CHF, based on two intelligent friends. One needs an account in the receiving currency.

There are other ways to perform this transaction electronically.
The big problem is DOP are an exotic and not traded like other pairs.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
send in CHF yes, receive in CHF, no. we both agree here. how to get around this, no idea.

i will ask the mods to change the thread title to reflect the question of the OP.