Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Black History month in DR?

    I don't know if this event was planned to be held last night because February is Black History month in the US, but it was still nice to have it during this time.

    The event was Remembering The Harlem Renaissance. It was a exhibition of imagery during that time and a concert performing some of popular music of that era.

    The night was held at the Centro Cultural de Espana Santo Domingo. It was promoted through Jazz en Dominicana and the US Embassy. I was told that the US paid for the event, and I think the Ambassador was there. Not sure so don't take it as fact. One of those things that makes it nice living in the city of Santo Domingo

    It was a great turn out and great music. Here are few clips from the musical part of the evening. Watch in HD.


  2. Likes Hector L liked this post
  3. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Race is not supposed to be discussed on DR1.

  4. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    33,905
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    February is Black History Month in the USA.

    i see no link between that and a concert in the DR. i do not think more than 50 people in the DR know what is Black History Month, and when it is. i do not think that the 50 who know really care.

  5. Likes pauleast, Garyexpat liked this post
  6. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Race is not supposed to be discussed on DR1.
    Who's discussing race? This is about an exhibition.

  7. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    February is Black History Month in the USA.

    i see no link between that and a concert in the DR. i do not think more than 50 people in the DR know what is Black History Month, and when it is. i do not think that the 50 who know really care.
    You are probably right, because the Dominicans didn't see anything wrong with dressing as the Klan in the Parade. As I stated this probably wasn't planned because of Black History month, but I'm happy it did happen this month.

  8. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The event was sponsored by the US Embassy to celebrate Black History Month. They sent en email to the Americans who are registered with the Embassy. Unrelated but all US citizens should be registered with the Embassy.

  9. Likes AlterEgo, RG84 liked this post
  10. #7
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Please keep responses relative to the OP.

    Glad to hear the US Embassy sponsored it.

    Rg84, how well attended was it? A shame we didn't know about it here in advance

    Administrator
    DR1.com

  11. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
  12. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hector L View Post
    The event was sponsored by the US Embassy to celebrate Black History Month. They sent en email to the Americans who are registered with the Embassy. Unrelated but all US citizens should be registered with the Embassy.
    Wasteful spending.

  13. Dislikes Hector L disliked this post
  14. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hector L View Post
    The event was sponsored by the US Embassy to celebrate Black History Month. They sent en email to the Americans who are registered with the Embassy. Unrelated but all US citizens should be registered with the Embassy.

    Ahh thanks for the post!!!

  15. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Please keep responses relative to the OP.

    Glad to hear the US Embassy sponsored it.

    Rg84, how well attended was it? A shame we didn't know about it here in advance
    It was packed standing room crowd. Funny, some people would stay only for a couple of songs but there were soo many people that the seats were filled quickly. Although this was sponsored by the US, Jazz en Dominicana is run by a Dominican.

    BTW that was my video.

  16. Likes AlterEgo liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •