Black History month in DR?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I don't know if this event was planned to be held last night because February is Black History month in the US, but it was still nice to have it during this time.

The event was Remembering The Harlem Renaissance. It was a exhibition of imagery during that time and a concert performing some of popular music of that era.

The night was held at the Centro Cultural de Espana Santo Domingo. It was promoted through Jazz en Dominicana and the US Embassy. I was told that the US paid for the event, and I think the Ambassador was there. Not sure so don't take it as fact. One of those things that makes it nice living in the city of Santo Domingo

It was a great turn out and great music. Here are few clips from the musical part of the evening. Watch in HD.

[video=youtube;AsayMxSHc5Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsayMxSHc5Q[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
February is Black History Month in the USA.

i see no link between that and a concert in the DR. i do not think more than 50 people in the DR know what is Black History Month, and when it is. i do not think that the 50 who know really care.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
February is Black History Month in the USA.

i see no link between that and a concert in the DR. i do not think more than 50 people in the DR know what is Black History Month, and when it is. i do not think that the 50 who know really care.

You are probably right, because the Dominicans didn't see anything wrong with dressing as the Klan in the Parade. As I stated this probably wasn't planned because of Black History month, but I'm happy it did happen this month.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
The event was sponsored by the US Embassy to celebrate Black History Month. They sent en email to the Americans who are registered with the Embassy. Unrelated but all US citizens should be registered with the Embassy.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Please keep responses relative to the OP.

Glad to hear the US Embassy sponsored it.

Rg84, how well attended was it? A shame we didn't know about it here in advance

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The event was sponsored by the US Embassy to celebrate Black History Month. They sent en email to the Americans who are registered with the Embassy. Unrelated but all US citizens should be registered with the Embassy.

Wasteful spending.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010

Ahh thanks for the post!!!

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Please keep responses relative to the OP.

Glad to hear the US Embassy sponsored it.

Rg84, how well attended was it? A shame we didn't know about it here in advance

It was packed standing room crowd. Funny, some people would stay only for a couple of songs but there were soo many people that the seats were filled quickly. Although this was sponsored by the US, Jazz en Dominicana is run by a Dominican.

BTW that was my video.