Puerto Plata to Luperon by public transit ...and sailboat info ???

Mopar man

Oct 27, 2015
Good morning to all,

I am currently staying in Sousa for a few weeks. In the next week or so I would like to make , initially, a day trip to Luperon. I am interested in checking out the town and it's connection with the Caribbean saiboat/cruising community.

I believe I go from PP by small bus / taxi publico or gua gua first to Imbert, then switch to taxi or gua gua to go on to Luperon? I'm not sure where in PP I would start the first leg of my trip.

I would like return to Sosua the same day so I will make a early start in the morning, no problem. Would anyone know if transport leaving Luperon for Imbert and then baby to PP stops running in the early evening?

My interest in Luperon is to see if there may significant, or any, number of sailboats for sale. And to see the moorage facilities in general.

I'm kicking around the idea of cruising in the Caribbean for a winter season or two. So any comments on that thought would be appreciated as well. My initial internet research indicates piracy and security risks for small sailboats is a serious risk.

Ok, cheers to all
Dave

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Good morning to all,

I am currently staying in Sousa for a few weeks. In the next week or so I would like to make , initially, a day trip to Luperon. I am interested in checking out the town and it's connection with the Caribbean saiboat/cruising community.

I believe I go from PP by small bus / taxi publico or gua gua first to Imbert, then switch to taxi or gua gua to go on to Luperon? I'm not sure where in PP I would start the first leg of my trip.

I would like return to Sosua the same day so I will make a early start in the morning, no problem. Would anyone know if transport leaving Luperon for Imbert and then baby to PP stops running in the early evening?

My interest in Luperon is to see if there may significant, or any, number of sailboats for sale. And to see the moorage facilities in general.

I'm kicking around the idea of cruising in the Caribbean for a winter season or two. So any comments on that thought would be appreciated as well. My initial internet research indicates piracy and security risks for small sailboats is a serious risk.

Ok, cheers to all
Dave

As someone with no vested interest in the Luperon area but who is quite familiar though with this area...I say save yourself the trip and skip it unless your bored

How to get there

Sosua - Pto.Pla Public car take until the end ( javilla Tours )
then Pto. Pla.- Imbert public car take it until you get to the javilla tours station in Imbert
Then Imbert- Luperon public car take until you arrive to Luperon
Catch a moto concho to the marina's in Luperon if you so desire

All the public car stations are right where you get dropped off at each spot

one way transport should be under $ 200 pesos's..but it's been awhile since I've done it this way