Basic food basket in the DR is one of the most expensive in L.A.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
How much cost a basic food basket? How much we need from average salary to cover these essential products?

R?nking de pa?ses de Am?rica Latina
Pa?ses Porcentaje del salario Posici?n global
Panam? 16,54% 50
Uruguay 17,87% 55
Venezuela 18,05% 57
Chile 18,94% 59
Argentina 19,21% 60
M?xico 19,32% 61
Cuba 20,83% 63
Brasil 24,90% 76
Colombia 28,8% 81
Per? 31,68% 86
Ecuador 34,70% 89
Rep?blica Dominicana 34,84% 90
El Salvador 49,98% 100
Bolivia 62,95% 104
Honduras 100,54% 112

http://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias/2016/02/160224_america_latina_canasta_basica_cara_ppb
Sorry folks in the draft the numbers are stacked nicely but as soon as I save it it comes out like above

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Why compare this Afro-Caribbean Banana Republic to Latin American countries? Just because they speak Spanish in DR?

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
actually, the macroeconomic performance of the Afro Caribbean Banana Republic far outstrips most of Latin America...

I know... that's why IKEA built their store here, not in Panama... but anyway, if you have been to any Latin American country, you can see very clear that DR has nothing to do with Latin America except the ugliest version of Spanish ever.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know... that's why IKEA built their store here, not in Panama... but anyway, if you have been to any Latin American country, you can see very clear that DR has nothing to do with Latin America except the ugliest version of Spanish ever.

you will get no argument from me there. i always said that if you do not play soccer, and you have no interest in off road auto rallying, you are not Latin American.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Basically the same diet, same cultural customs ( catholic) , language. Soccer games in Jarabacoa ( men . women, and children) everyday of the week, but certainly not as popular as baseball. My stepson is a decent soccer player, holds his own playing with the Italians , Portuguese, and others in greater Toronto area, but then again he had good coaching from age ten up. Lots of Colombian relatives who all are futbol fanatics.
I doubt most in Venezuela can even find the items in the food basket to buy.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Basically the same diet, same cultural customs ( catholic) , language. Soccer games in Jarabacoa ( men . women, and children) everyday of the week, but certainly not as popular as baseball. My stepson is a decent soccer player, holds his own playing with the Italians , Portuguese, and others in greater Toronto area, but then again he had good coaching from age ten up. Lots of Colombian relatives who all are futbol fanatics.
I doubt most in Venezuela can even find the items in the food basket to buy.

The day a Dominican gets first page news on a major international soccer tournament and also gets a hefty contract, from then on Dominicans will dominate within stars of the game until kingdom come...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The day a Dominican gets first page news on a major international soccer tournament and also gets a hefty contract, from then on Dominicans will dominate within stars of the game until kingdom come...

i would love to know exactly why. you have a great 400 meters runner, whom i admire for his accomplishments. surely you do not believe that because you have that breakthrough, you are going to dominate track till kingdom come.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Why compare this Afro-Caribbean Banana Republic to Latin American countries? Just because they speak Spanish in DR?

Allow me to Get you out of the Sea of IGNORANCE that seems to bother you...THIS country and its people are the ORIGIN of Latin America, HERE is where it all begun, that should be enough to answer your question, if you need some more help with your problem let me know, i have a lot of love to provide specially for people like YOU

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
i would love to know exactly why. you have a great 400 meters runner, whom i admire for his accomplishments. surely you do not believe that because you have that breakthrough, you are going to dominate track till kingdom come.

$$ I think is what Pichardo is referring to..

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015

i wonder how much of latin america have you actually stepped in...clearly NOT MUCH...

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Are you guys going to tell me that DR is more similar to their Francophone/Anglophone neighbors than to the rest of Latin America?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Are you guys going to tell me that DR is more similar to their Francophone/Anglophone neighbors than to the rest of Latin America?

It's kind of funny actually.. to most people in this thread the language is the only thing in common with Latin America and to me the main difference in the DR to the rest of Latin America is the language.. weird how that works out..

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
The language is the SAME, the accent is the difference, and EACH single country in Latin America has it OWN accent, just like in english.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
It's kind of funny actually.. to most people in this thread the language is the only thing in common with Latin America and to me the main difference in the DR to the rest of Latin America is the language.. weird how that works out..

That's because you have non-Latin American people who most likely speak Spanish as their second language (if they speak it at all) given their opinion about the subject. I feel no connection at all culturally or otherwise with people from other Caribbean Islands, but I can't say the same about Latin Americans. Plus I am sure I would stick out like a sore thumb if I ever visited one of those islands.

jackfi

Mar 31, 2013
Must say IMO how Dominican's conduct themselves is often very different from other Latin Americans

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My parents went back to university for spanish courses, back in europe.
The first day the professor, a mexican dude, asked the students why they wanted to learn spanish.
My mum answered cos her son ( that would be me ;) ) was marrying a dominicana, and the in-law part of the to-be-extended family, only spoke spanish.
The professor said, but m'am you are in the wrong place, dominicans dont speak spanish......

True story.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My Spanish is still very limited but I can understand most of a conversation and ask and answer simple questions. The
local dialect has me completely baffled though. My wife taught Spanish speaking immigrants to Canada , most that came from Central or South American with a few Mexicans and Cubans thrown in. She never had any problems understanding them or vice versa.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We are drifting again. Interesting, but nothing to do with food costs in DR

A couple of months ago, chicken was 69 pesos a pound, Friday at La Sirena I paid 29 pesos. Prices fluctuate.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Jose Luis here in Puerto Plata has now raised their price of a bottle of Pepsi higher than La Sirena, first time for everything!