Help with Claro #'s ??

viperpiper

Mar 1, 2016
I found this wiki on claro and the numbers you can use to navigate their menu but I"m not sure if it's current. Does anyone have an idea how to navigate the menu on the phone to top up etc ?

I'm just curious what the heck is "validity" ? I want to keep the sim active after leaving the DR so I guess I would need the roaming activated then top up.

viperpiper

Mar 1, 2016
If I could post the link to the wiki I would......it just said that If I want to keep the sim alive I would have to enable roaming on it. I can't post it on here

it also posted the numbers to navigate the menu...but what is this validity thing .. ??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If I could post the link to the wiki I would......it just said that If I want to keep the sim alive I would have to enable roaming on it. I can't post it on here

it also posted the numbers to navigate the menu...but what is this validity thing .. ??

Say what?

We gave you the solution, roll with it.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Buy enough credit before you leave to extend the active date to the date you return.

Or, set up a 'my claro' account on the Claro web site and manage all on line while you are away.

You can also buy credit from third parties as described above, but you will not know the date of expiration if you don't have access to the phone (roaming), or to your account on line.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
There was other threads on this.
In my experience, and mine only, the validity is the span of time/date before which you must use the credit/minutes, before they vanisb into thin air.
There was talk about the claro phone number/ SIM being desacfivated after a certain lenght of time. I do not believe this to be true.
Why ?
I have the same # since, maybe 6 or 7 years ( yes, yes, I know, not very dominican ;) ). During that time I have being out of the dr for months at a time, once it was 14 months. Back in the dr, topped up phone with credit, and pouuum ! it works.
Disclaimer : i have another claro # that i leave with a sobrina, so i can contact her. She tops it up with 50 pesos once a month. Just to be on safe side. Especially since that # is not in my name. ( to pi$$ off the nosy american big ears ;) )
Also, last year I visited claro big shop thingy in POP ( which I DO NOT recommend for the faint of heart, or the easily angered ) to get a phone with my point thingys. Well the lady asked us if we wanted to clear some #'s that we had, unused ( apparently u are only allowed a certain number of numbers by name/cedula ). My wife had a # dating back to 9 years ago........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The minutes may expire... but they don't vanish.... they just lie dormant until you top up anew.

the phone can be dormant for quite a while (as Malko says).
A simple top-up re-activates it and revives the dormant minutes.

I have done it.
If worried, I top-up before I arrive.... then I can call the driver if he's missing at the airport.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
When I dial #22 on my claro prepaid phone, it always says "the suspension of your service will be.." and the date. On that date, they suspend your service if you don't buy more minutes. But, the service can stay in that suspended status for some time. Mine has been in that status for about a month once. I don't know how long it can actually stay there. Try asking at a claro store. Or,on line. I have actually found the 'chat' function on their web site works well for this. In Spanish. Or, you can just call them. I think there is a line where they speak English if you need it.

viperpiper

Mar 1, 2016
There was other threads on this.
In my experience, and mine only, the validity is the span of time/date before which you must use the credit/minutes, before they vanisb into thin air.
There was talk about the claro phone number/ SIM being desacfivated after a certain lenght of time. I do not believe this to be true.
Why ?
I have the same # since, maybe 6 or 7 years ( yes, yes, I know, not very dominican ;) ). During that time I have being out of the dr for months at a time, once it was 14 months. Back in the dr, topped up phone with credit, and pouuum ! it works.
Disclaimer : i have another claro # that i leave with a sobrina, so i can contact her. She tops it up with 50 pesos once a month. Just to be on safe side. Especially since that # is not in my name. ( to pi$$ off the nosy american big ears ;) )
Also, last year I visited claro big shop thingy in POP ( which I DO NOT recommend for the faint of heart, or the easily angered ) to get a phone with my point thingys. Well the lady asked us if we wanted to clear some #'s that we had, unused ( apparently u are only allowed a certain number of numbers by name/cedula ). My wife had a # dating back to 9 years ago........

Thanks for answering my question, that's all I was looking for. If I was able to post the wiki link about the Claro I would but since I"m new here it won't let me. I think I'll set myself up an account so I can manage the sim card while there and abroad. That was the point of turning on the Roam feature too , so you can access things through your phone if you are our of country. They listed all the key presses that you would need to go through the menu system on the phone, I just wasn't sure if it was current or not.

thanks again

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you're overthinking this..... just top up the phone every 2 months or so if it worries you.

Nothing more to do or think about