Cake shops in Santo Domingo?

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Trying to get a birthday cake for my friend for his birthday. What's s good place to get a custom cake quickly? Also as important the cakes have to be amazing!

I'd appreciate any help!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Bondelic has good cakes. There's one in Bella Vista (Sarasota, near the corner where McDonalds is). Another one in La Julieta (the street where Supermercados Bravo is, going westwards: Heriberto Nunez).

Others : Delacasa / De la casa - Agustin Lara (seralles)
Fresco del Horno: Lorenzo Desparadel (Los Prados.)

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Fifi Postres Caseros

Calle Olof Palme, esquina Manuel Mar?a Valencia, Plaza Galer?a Floral,, Santo Domingo
Phone: (809) 563-0941

This has to be the best I've tasted in a while!

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Any places closer to Zona Colonial with great cakes? I googled and most of the places mentioned so far are 30 minutes from Zona Colonial where I'll be staying during my vacation.

Any places closer or should I just make the half an hour trip?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Within the Zona Colonial, I would suggest you go into the Paco Cabana cafe in the Conde, it's almost opposite the California shop, near the junction with Supermercado Nacional. They have a French baker and I think he can make nice cakes. There is also the upscale bakers and cafe also on the Conde, it's a guy's name and "De Bani", like "Paul De Bani", something like that. It's on the left, and they look like they sell nice cakes.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Any places closer to Zona Colonial with great cakes? I googled and most of the places mentioned so far are 30 minutes from Zona Colonial where I'll be staying during my vacation.

Any places closer or should I just make the half an hour trip?

Villar Hermanos, is not on the same conde, but it near.
Great breakfast also.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Nicolas de Bari - on the Conde in Santo Domingo, very last block before Parque Colon on the left hand side. Excellent variety of cakes.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Nicolas de Bari - on the Conde in Santo Domingo, very last block before Parque Colon on the left hand side. Excellent variety of cakes.

Thank you do you know if they have a website? I can't find them on google and I don't speak Spanish so most communication might have to be through email before I get there

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Thank you do you know if they have a website? I can't find them on google and I don't speak Spanish so most communication might have to be through email before I get there

Sorry, I'm not meaning to sound bitchy, but you don't seem to "get" the way that the DR works. Nobody has a website that works, apart from expat run businesses, even online banking stops working for a few hours most days. And if a bakery did have a website they certainly wouldn't take online orders for cakes that you could pay for with a credit card. It's a third world country, don't expect that level of sophistication. The only way you're going to get your cake is to pitch up at the bakery yourself. The Nicolas de Bari will have someone who can speak English (kind of) they are in a very touristy area. And the Paco de Cabana cafe that I recommended also definitely has someone who speaks English.

Part of the fun of going to a country like DR is to have to try and communicate with the locals and do things like buy cakes when you don't speak a word of Spanish. Finally, please remember that things often go wrong in DR, and "it will be ready by 3pm today" means "it will be ready in about 3 days time maybe". Your friend will still love that you went to the effort to get a cake, no matter how it turns out and how late it arrives. Again, all part of the fun of being in the DR.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Sorry, I'm not meaning to sound bitchy, but you don't seem to "get" the way that the DR works. Nobody has a website that works, apart from expat run businesses, even online banking stops working for a few hours most days. And if a bakery did have a website they certainly wouldn't take online orders for cakes that you could pay for with a credit card. It's a third world country, don't expect that level of sophistication. The only way you're going to get your cake is to pitch up at the bakery yourself. The Nicolas de Bari will have someone who can speak English (kind of) they are in a very touristy area. And the Paco de Cabana cafe that I recommended also definitely has someone who speaks English.

Part of the fun of going to a country like DR is to have to try and communicate with the locals and do things like buy cakes when you don't speak a word of Spanish. Finally, please remember that things often go wrong in DR, and "it will be ready by 3pm today" means "it will be ready in about 3 days time maybe". Your friend will still love that you went to the effort to get a cake, no matter how it turns out and how late it arrives. Again, all part of the fun of being in the DR.
Thank you but that may just be the case with the ones in Zona Colonial. Most of the ones in Piatini I found have both websites and Facebook pages where I could message them. I just wanted to see if it was the same with the Zona Colonial ones you mentioned.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
On the other post you mentioned that they may charge you up to 40$ to get to piantini.
You are being robbed, you could try Uber, it will charge you top $200 Pesos each way to Piantini, There is a Bondelic in Bella Vista, also a Cuchara de Madera in Bella Vista Mall, the ride is going to be cheaper.

I suggest just go to one of those, cab ride you should not be more than 10usd both ways, plus you'll get what you want.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

Not true about bakeries not selling online.

Contact
http://www.delacasard.com/index.php/es/
http://www.deljardin.com.do

They take orders online. Of these two, though, only Pasteleria del Jardin has delivery. Pasteleria de la Casa will take your order and have it ready for when you pick it up.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Thinking about it… why don't you just plan a lunch/brunch/ dinner outing to the Piantini section of town and celebrate the birthday cake with dinner. You will be eating out in restaurants, so why not go to one of these places and then have them bring the birthday cake as a surprise at the end!

The western side of the city is packed with wonderful bakeries.

For instance, you can have lunch, dinner at http://ladolcerie.com/index.php?page=bakery

joselowe

May 5, 2015
On the other post you mentioned that they may charge you up to 40$ to get to piantini.
You are being robbed, you could try Uber, it will charge you top $200 Pesos each way to Piantini, There is a Bondelic in Bella Vista, also a Cuchara de Madera in Bella Vista Mall, the ride is going to be cheaper.

I suggest just go to one of those, cab ride you should not be more than 10usd both ways, plus you'll get what you want.
Thank you!