Freight/Package Forwarding Business

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
I have been trying to figure this type of business set-up for
a couple of weeks now and I have gotten nowhere. How is it done?
I'm looking to get in on this, I think there is gonna be a boom, and
the marketing sux for these places like Aeropaq, EPS. TPak.

Who brings the stuff to the DR from Miami? MAERSK? I ruled them
out on account MAERSK ships stuff in containers and it takes a week
at best, UPS/DHL not into selling their services on the cheap for it to be re-sold.
So Who?
Anyone have any info on this? Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Small stuff comes in via air, larger stuff on ships. DR customs is probably the bottle neck. The market has quite a few players in it already.

Feb 7, 2007
You want to start in this business and you cannot even find answers to such a basic question yourself?

It's called Market Research. as in R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H.
Market research does not only encompass sales opportunities, but supply chain structure as well.
M.R. gives answers to Who/Where/Why/When/How... *

Good luck in your business, you WILL need it.
Maybe invest your money in a business/entrepreneurship degree first. Or start for free on Coursera!

* Market research is NOT done on DR1.

P.S. I have answers to all your questions of "paqueteria" business, but I am not telling ... and I am not starting in this business, the reason I am not telling is that it actually is not that difficult to find out answers to your questions, right from the best source(s)! As in doing... Market Research!

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Many people think they are going to make a lot of money importing items here. good luck you will need it. I am still trying been doing it for years now

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Windeguy said it: customs is the bottleneck. If you don't have good contacts there forget it. Besides that there are too many players already in the market.

Feb 7, 2007
There are many players but the market is not saturated yet from economist's point of view (there is still more than normal profit to be made). Most couriers now charge 180 to 200 pesos per pound. I now started using one who charges 100 pesos final rate and bills in 0.1 pound fractions. So far 4 deliveries, no hiccups.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes rubio, who is the 100 pesos per pound company? How fast are you getting things once they are in Florida?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
eee, i just checked that site and calculated a price of 20x20x20 package... about 50 euro. ha ha ha.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
eee, i just checked that site and calculated a price of 20x20x20 package... about 50 euro. ha ha ha.
about 50.00 usd. i shipped 1 ib of usa mail here was 100.00 by fedex.
i was just showing him an example of a forwarding company that is new. that website alone is very expensive.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There are many players but the market is not saturated yet from economist's point of view (there is still more than normal profit to be made). Most couriers now charge 180 to 200 pesos per pound. I now started using one who charges 100 pesos final rate and bills in 0.1 pound fractions. So far 4 deliveries, no hiccups.

I just got fed up with Encargo Pac. They say their rate is 165 per pound, and I rec'd two packages two days in a row and they charged me 208 pesos for one and 244 for the other. They both together didn't weigh half a pound. One had a pair of sterling silver earrings in it and the other held 3 pairs of panties.
So I signed up with a different one and will see how they go.
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
he is not looking for a shipping company he is wanting to start one.

Yes he is looking for information about the industry I believe. The more info he has the better he can do what is referred to as Due Diligence.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
plenty of posts on shipping here for shipping rates however. he can call for shipping rates if he is a serious player. that's how i started. Go straight to the companies to learn how. learn how to do bill of ladings, customs forms etc. The united states government is a wealth of info on this. i have a list of every shipping company in the world from them with contact info just for example. learn about roll on roll off, air weigh bill etc. Maybe i am wrong but that's what i think he wanted. the rates you are quoting are not what you would pay if starting a business they are consumer rates. just sayin. nice to know rates i agree

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I just got fed up with Encargo Pac. They say their rate is 165 per pound, and I rec'd two packages two days in a row and they charged me 208 pesos for one and 244 for the other. They both together didn't weigh half a pound. One had a pair of sterling silver earrings in it and the other held 3 pairs of panties.
So I signed up with a different one and will see how they go.
Der Fish

pleeze arent the unmentionables worth it???