Last Minute Trip SDQ to PHL

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have to make an unexpected and last minute trip to Philadelphia. The only nonstop that gets me there at a reasonable hour is out of Santo Domingo, but I am in Puerto Plata.

So, I am planning to take the Metro Bus to SD, then a taxi from the Metro station to SDQ. Not my usual method oof travel to the US, so I have several questions.

1. I figure around four hours for Metro, but haven't the faintest idea how long the taxi ride from the bus station is. Departure is at 3:35 PM, so I am trying to decide when to leave Puerto Plata.

2. I recall reading that the taxi fare is around 1200 pesos. Is that still the case or has it increased?

Can anyone answer my questions?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
To play it safe figure close to an hour from Metro to SDQ Monday to Friday. Saturday and Sunday 45 minutes.

I am not sure on taxi prices but at the Metro Bus Depot there is a dedicated cab company whose prices I have found to generally be higher. I wouldn't be surprised if they would want to get 1500 pesos out of you. You could call Apolo, 809-537-0000, but not sure if you want to go through the hassle. Might just be easier to get off the bus and hop directly in a cab.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wonder if you can use Caribe Tours to get you the Southern end of the Autopista ( Samana Hwy)

From there it's just a short trip to SDQ.
They have a stop there.

That would involve Pto Plata through Nagua.. to the South end stop
Or going thru Sto Domingo and continuing to the Samana Hwy

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I wonder if you can use Caribe Tours to get you the Southern end of the Autopista ( Samana Hwy)

They have a stop there.

This is not very direct way as going str8 from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo but will take you closer to SDQ and will be less stressfull. My only recomendation is to remember sometimes there are accidnets and you can be stuck for 1 hr using that way so make sure to leave with planty of time in case of something like that happend.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I see it as....

POP to Cabrera... about 2hrs
to the Samana HWY... another 1hr
The highway itself, another 1hr
Then 10-15 minutes to SDQ...

If , big if, there is a bus for that route

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I see it as....

I see it as too many changes and too many chances of something going wrong. There is very limited bus service using the Samana Highway. Coming directly to Santo Domingo Centro and a cab to airport only requires switching from A/C bus to A/C cab. Also the OP can either do Caribe or Metro.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
those are time measurements, BB..... not stops.

I have no idea if that route even exists on a bus map.

It is the smoother, less trafficked route, that's for sure... no SD to fight through.

She'll be fine.... resourceful , she is

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
those are time measurements, BB..... not stops.

I have no idea if that route even exists on a bus map.

It is the smoother, less trafficked route, that's for sure... no SD to fight through.

She'll be fine.... resourceful , she is

OK, so what bus company serves that route? If the OP is traveling either Saturday or Sunday no problem getting in and out of the city

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, Caribe Tours is in Rio san Juan & Cabrera...
from Cabrera we go both ways.... the Samana Hwy is the 'Express' bus

Anyway, she has bought the ticket - Metro.

No more wheel spinning.... she's gone tomorrow.

Safe trip Prof.....

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
That doesn't work Willy.
Only via guagua on your proposed route. No Caribe T.
And that would take forever.
PP to SD to SDQ is the best bet. Approx 5-6 hours total.

I see it as....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

They have a stop there.

I agree if Metro is going to use the Samana Highway and stops at the small satellite bus station that is only 20 minutes to the airport get off there and take a cab for $30 US to SDQ. You will save a lot of tme

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Safe trip Prof.....

Thanks, William.

I did the Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo via Metro on Saturday. Left at 9 AM, arrived at the Metro Station in SD at 12:30 and was in the airport before 1:30.

It was a difficult flight since I was traveling to a funeral, but it went as well as possible in the circumstances. The return flight was a nightmare - left the place I was staying in Philadelphia at 6:30 AM, arrived in Santiago at 9:40 PM and to my apartment around midnight.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, I'm glad you made it.

The return sounds awful..... too bad, sorry for you.
Must have been changes.

My friend returned form MIA last Monday...
sat most of the day in the airport... plane needed a part form JFK.. before flying to RD

Travel is no fun these days.