Taxes and bring TV back from U.S.

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Hey Guys what is the deal on bringing a TV to D.R? I want to bring a 32" inch flatscreen with me on my next visit to Punta Cana. I have a small apartment and I don't want to set up a projector anymore. I have read that if the TV is less than $200.00 I do not have to pay taxes, but does that only apply to stuff being shipped to D.R. Or does it also apply if I physically bring the TV with me? I would truly appreciate input from anyone who has been through both th experience of mailing a tv or bringing a tv by plane. Thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you can fit it in your suitcase just put some towels or clothes around it and bring it in. If you tell them you have it you will pay more than you like. I do this all the time and once they even found it and I said it was a computer monitor and went right through. In Punta Cana just go through with a crowd of people and you should just waltz through.

The 200 dollar rule is for shipping things here, not carrying them.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
bring your receipt if it new. if you claim its used take off all stickers. been discussed many times here with different results. They made me pay taxes on mine when they found it was a TV. That Was 3 years ago and TV are cheaper now. Other people paid no taxes. I would just put it in luggage and if they scan it and check it tell them its used. Santiago much better than Puerto Plata, POP can be jerks

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
Thanks guys :) will probably try the suitcase thing. I'm afraid of shipping it and having it arrive broken :-/ maybe a projector might not be such a bad idea after all.

SosuaEnVivo

Nov 13, 2014
I took a 19" t.v. that fit in my carry-on and no questions.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks guys :) will probably try the suitcase thing. I'm afraid of shipping it and having it arrive broken :-/ maybe a projector might not be such a bad idea after all.

If you want a projector, I have one for sale in Santo Domingo, lamp is still new, never have been use and its full HD, more details PM me!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you do this 10 times, your results are likely to be different each time.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Very true,
it may even be stolen. I have lost many things coming here. used to travel every month to usa.and bring things back

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

I shipped a 39" TV, arrived fine and still works to this day. I included a fake eBay receipt showing $175 value (it probably helped that the TV really was 3 years old).

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Buy it here, not worth importing anymore.
You get it immediately, and you have a gaurantee.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

What here carries a guarantee beyond a taillight guarantee, being when the store can no longer see your taillights the guarantee has expired. My favorite guarantee talk was when my 12 year old son and I were shopping for scuba gear, and the guy told us it had a lifetime guarantee. My son said that sounds pretty scary, right?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What here carries a guarantee beyond a taillight guarantee, being when the store can no longer see your taillights the guarantee has expired. My favorite guarantee talk was when my 12 year old son and I were shopping for scuba gear, and the guy told us it had a lifetime guarantee. My son said that sounds pretty scary, right?

That was true at one time.
Not so much anymore.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Not true. Bought a new GE washer last Feb from a small store in San Cristobal. It came with a one year guarantee. 11.5 months later it stopped running on the same day our inverter blew (we had electric, I think it was a huge spike). We half heartedly called the store, and they sent two guys the same day. They couldn't fix it so they called GE service, who came next day and proclaimed motor burned out. Two weeks later we had new motor installed. Would have been sooner but they had to ship motor from US

Moral of the story is buy a name brand that offers service here.

That being said, we brought a 32" tv in our suitcase with no problem (SDQ). Our daughter gave us a 42" for Christmas so we shipped it down via mundanza. No problems. If I had to buy one myself, I'd buy it in SD

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
yes my friend Tijo works for Gonzales Distribudora for 30 years now. He does warrantee work all the time. even comes out on sunday. He knows what he is doing.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I shipped 24" 1080p LG LED Smart TV from Miami to Santo Domingo using Mail Box Ect. MBE) It was delivered to Mega Centro. Paid the shipping fee. Brought it home. Hooked it up and it works.

The TV cost me $99.00
MBE charged me 2303 pesos to ship it.

I have never used a mundanza. I need to learn more about them. Because I'd like to ship heaver electronics that I need down here.

I am unfamilar with using a Mundanza.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I have ordered 3 tv's from amazon over the years, all under $200 and all arrived scratch free