pistol licence renewal

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
I believe the process has changed since the last time I did it. last time I just went to banco popular and paid it. it was sent to bank a couple weeks later. what do I have to do now?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
When you guys are talking about Pistol Lic permits in the DR , are you referring to Carry Permits or Purchase permits , or is it one and the same..
If someone could maybe briefly explain the way it works in the DR and how many different permits are required..
much appreciated..

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I believe the process has changed since the last time I did it. last time I just went to banco popular and paid it. it was sent to bank a couple weeks later. what do I have to do now?

When was the last time you did it? Because this new system has been in place for a couple of years now.

You pay the renewal fee at Banco Reservas. I don't think it's Banco Popular, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
You will have to go to a local affiliated laboratory and do a urine anti doping test.
You will then have to take your weapon to Santo Domingo to to the ballistic test.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When was the last time you did it? Because this new system has been in place for a couple of years now.

You pay the renewal fee at Banco Reservas. I don't think it's Banco Popular, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
You will have to go to a local affiliated laboratory and do a urine anti doping test.
You will then have to take your weapon to Santo Domingo to to the ballistic test.

This is exactly the ridiculous procedure you must do every year. In particular, I am referring to the requirement for an annual ballistics test in Santo Domingo. Absolute nonsense, but that is the law.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is exactly the ridiculous procedure you must do every year. In particular, I am referring to the requirement for an annual ballistics test in Santo Domingo. Absolute nonsense, but that is the law.

That is the law, but the real question is how many licensed gun holders even bother to do this at all? I would like to have the money they are missing out on by people that just keep their guns and not renew anymore.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
That is the law, but the real question is how many licensed gun holders even bother to do this at all? I would like to have the money they are missing out on by people that just keep their guns and not renew anymore.

I think they have to renew or lose the pistol

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Pay your taxes at Ban Reservas, then go pee in a cup at an AUTHORIZED lab (Referencia for example), your lab results
are sent directly to the police, allow 3 to 5 days for the results to arrive. Take your Ban Reservas receipt along with your pistol
to "Sistema Nacional de Armas" (SISNA), en la M?xico No. 66 casi esq. M?ximo G?mez...

Drop your cedula & your Ban Reservas receipt at the front desk, pay again, your given a number, you take a seat,
your called into a booth, hand over your gun and magazine to the guy behind the glass, answer a few questions, leave the
booth and sit down again..
When your called (again) you get your prints and picture taken and sit down again...
You will be called one last time, handed your new license.. YOUR DONE &
the whole process is painless & takes maybe 30 minutes...

Very efficient, very polite people all the way through, what stinks is it needs to be done every year...
Perhaps one day they will charge more but let you come back say, every two years (?)...

Good Luck

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I think they have to renew or lose the pistol

You are absolutely correct. But my point is this: What are the circumstances and chance that someone in authority would come across your expired license pistol in the first place? You would certainly not volunteer this information along with your pistol to anyone.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
What are the circumstances and chance that someone in authority would come across your expired license pistol in the first place?

Funny you ask, just BY CHANCE last week we needed the police for a small infraction and when they saw the pistol they asked to see the license..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pay your taxes at Ban Reservas, then go pee in a cup at an AUTHORIZED lab (Referencia for example), your lab results
are sent directly to the police, allow 3 to 5 days for the results to arrive. Take your Ban Reservas receipt along with your pistol
to "Sistema Nacional de Armas" (SISNA), en la M?xico No. 66 casi esq. M?ximo G?mez...

Drop your cedula & your Ban Reservas receipt at the front desk, pay again, your given a number, you take a seat,
your called into a booth, hand over your gun and magazine to the guy behind the glass, answer a few questions, leave the
booth and sit down again..
When your called (again) you get your prints and picture taken and sit down again...
You will be called one last time, handed your new license.. YOUR DONE &
the whole process is painless & takes maybe 30 minutes...

Very efficient, very polite people all the way through, what stinks is it needs to be done every year...
Perhaps one day they will charge more but let you come back say, every two years (?)...

Good Luck

There is nothing painless about having to go every year to Santo Domingo from Cabarete. It is not painless, it is ridiculous, and it must be done according to the law. Yes it stinks. I doubt there is any other country that requires such foolishness.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I suppose it boils down to why you own a pistol. If all you do is squirrel it away, never go to a shooting range or take it out of the house, then you can probably posses that pistol for a long time. You won't be able to legally sell it or transfer ownership. Unless the authorities know that you have/had it, notice that the license has lapsed and then come looking for it. You will then have to give it up and you have a legal problem.

If, you at some point you do take it out of the house and get caught (however, unlikely) you have a big problem.
Heaven forbid you need to shoot at a ladrone. In which case you have a bigger problem even with a license. With an unlicensed firearm your goose is cooked regardless of how justified the circumstances might be. I guess being in jail is better than being dead, but just barely in this country.

If you own a firearm, It's assumed you have it to use if need be. Having a valid license gives you a chance of keeping your freedom if you ever do use it for its intended purpose. Without a license and being a foreigner, you have no chance. You may be alive but your life as you know it is definitely over.

We may now discuss how unlikely it is that anyone will come looking for a firearm with a lapsed license or how easy it may be to bring in a different barrel, firing pin and extractor.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
the fine for not keeping it up to date was 2 years in prison last I heard. I am not going to miss paying it. Its really another attempt at gun control that is not perfect like most laws.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We may now discuss how unlikely it is that anyone will come looking for a firearm with a lapsed license or how easy it may be to bring in a different barrel, firing pin and extractor.

Why the annual ballistics check has little value to anyone who realizes they can change those parts out when the pistol is not being tested.

Has this set of laws done anything to keep illegal firearms out of the hands of criminals?

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Why the annual ballistics check has little value to anyone who realizes they can change those parts out when the pistol is not being tested.

Has this set of laws done anything to keep illegal firearms out of the hands of criminals?

What gun law has ever kept criminals from getting guns? maybe some amateurs.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The licensing laws in the DR, just like the laws everywhere else in the world, do nothing to keep criminals from obtaining and using guns if that's what they choose to do.

These laws are used by the Govt to say with a straight face that "they are doing something" to curb gun crime, and they never say, "it's working."

Like a driver's license is a tax on those who drive, a gun license is a tax on those who own guns and a way to keep some sort of a list of those who admit to owning guns.