Thomas Cook may favour Dom Rep over Cuba

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I had an interesting conversation with a Thomas Cook captain yesterday. Currently Thomas Cook have three destinations in Cuba; Varadero, Holguin and Cayo Coco. But in the DR, they only have Punta Cana. In his opinion, Cuba sucks! There is nothing to do outside of the resorts. The resorts are a little bit tired and run down, and there is never anything on the menu available. They have always run out of one thing or another......But it's cheap. The cheapskate Brits love it because it's a winter sun long-haul destination for short haul money. However it seems that it's about to change.

Once the American tourists start coming, reports are saying that the prices of hotel rooms are set to quadruple!

As a result Thomas Cook are looking into adapting their Caribbean strategy and hopefully this will be for a positive move focused on the DR. As Turkey and Egypt are less appealing these days tour operators are always looking for new destinations. Cape Town has become a new one for example.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Point them to AZS, Beez

I, too, have heard Cuban prices are not going up..... are up already....

They will go up....
The Cuban equivalent to Paul Revere's
The British are Coming,,,

The Yanks are Coming...... screams every Fidel in the country

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if they love DR so much why they stopped flying to POP? there used to be more options for travel to puerto plata from london, now things are down to one charter a week (thompson, i believe).

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
if they love DR so much why they stopped flying to POP? there used to be more options for travel to puerto plata from london, now things are down to one charter a week (thompson, i believe).

I stopped flying to POP do to theft, much less than STI. Not sure about Brits.