An open letter to the DR1 ?Oldtimers?

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
After many years on DR1 and many stays in the Dominican Republic, my time on this forum and in such a beautiful country has probably come to an end. Age, and the recent loss of my wife mean that my trips there will now be only fond memories. But I feel that I must not only say goodbye, but let many of you know how much your posts, information and advice were appreciated.

I have watched this forum evolve over the past 13 years or so, just as the DR has changed in that time. But I no longer see posts from many people that helped me in so many ways over the years and I miss their daily imput. DR1 was required reading between trips to keep up to date on local happenings and, at times, to get much needed information.

I wish I could name all those who offered help, but because there were many, I know I would leave out some if I tried. Some are still here but not active, some have passed on or moved away. But all were part of my DR family. I would be remiss however if I did not recognize Hillbilly, Ken, Ginnie (R.I.P.), and Camden Tom for their help. I will miss you.

I probably will not be able to wean myself away from this site right away, but even though the posts are no longer relative to my situation, I enjoy reading and hearing about the many places I have been and people I have met. So to everyone here and especially to the Oldtimers...Gracias and ?Mucho Gusto?.

bob

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My sympathies to you for the loss of your wife.
Please do continue to read and enjoy DR1 to keep updated on things.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Please stay so you can pass on your experiences to other newbies when they need it.

So sorry to hear about your wife.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Good to hear this. Thanks.

I'm one of the old-timers who doesn't frequent the site much nowadays. I am still a lurker -- sure. But the whole tone of the site has changed. It's gone from mostly kind, helpful and informative to . . . so often critical and cynical. So I rarely feel the urge to start a post or even respond any more.

But we lurkers should hang together. Perhaps there's a place for a DR1-old-timers-lurk.com sub-forum? Cheers to all of us old-timers who haven't turned up our toes yet. OldHippy RIP and . . . M. Beland! Are you still out there. A P-M would be evidence.

wbr

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Please accept our condolences and treasure your memories you shared here on the North Coast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear appleman.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. It is always a blow and a big hole in your life.
No way around it, you will miss her forever. ( I know about this)

You should take heed to the suggestions that you continue to lurk around and share some of your experiences with
the newbies that come on board. Sometimes (not all the time--a la Trainman saga) these new folks will take our advice
and avoid some of the pitfalls of life in Paradise.

Take care friend, you should drop in every once in a while.

Cordially,

HB

Aug 21, 2007
Sorry for the loss of your wife. And I am sorry another valued member of dr1 is leaving. Please continue to read now and then. Jump in and offer wisdom and advice. Be well. And best of health, love, and luck in this next chapter of your life.

Lindsey

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Sorry for the loss of your wife. And I am sorry another valued member of dr1 is leaving. Please continue to read now and then. Jump in and offer wisdom and advice. Be well. And best of health, love, and luck in this next chapter of your life.

Lindsey

Lindsey,

We never met, but I always thought your posts were insightful and on the mark. When you said something, I felt that I could trust that it would be just the way you said it was. Keep your advice coming for those seeking information about Sosua and the DR in general. You are a valued member of DR1.

bob

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
My deepest condolences. Don't be afraid to drop by every now and then to share your wisdom and knowledge-it is always much appreciated.