Things to bring back from the US

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hi..

I'm going to the US tomorrow for 7 days and so far all I know I need to bring back is a couple of laptops.. Anything else you guys recommend buy in the states because of pricing in the DR.. been working on creating a list but since I can import anything under 200$ fairly cheap I haven't thought of many other things..

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
size 36 fruit of the looms formen on saleat walmarts double your money here...

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Always Nyquil. And flex trash bags with the plastic pull-thing thing to close them. Toothbrushes from BJ's or Costco. Laundry soap. Printer cartridges: as many as you can afford. They are expensive in the US, but a third of the price here. If you have animals and you are inclined to feed them wet food once a day, buy a case at your local Stop'n'Shop, Walmart, whatever. Horseradish, for sure. If you can smuggle a fresh horseradish root into a sock in a checked bag, do that and make your own here. They'll think it's a sex toy. If you need OTC medicines for acid reflux, bring them. Things like Neosporin: way cheaper in 1st world. Buy sunscreen at places like CVS, Duane Reade---especially now, as it's winter---and buy the store brand. So much cheaper. Just make sure the spray nozzles work. Put them in plastic bags in checked baggage. You don't want them to explode. Ballpoint pens. If there is a woman involved, buy nail polish in the US. The nail polish here is crap, and you can pick up 2 for $1 at Duane Reade that is highly superior to anything here. Vitamins. A Swifter. (not that big: they fold down and don't take up much room in a suitcase.) Chargers for any electronics. USB sticks. And if you like them: olives. Fresh ones from the olive bar in your local supermarket. Leave them in original packaging; put in double plastic zip lock. Put in carry on. They last forever; you just keep chging the oil. You will thank me for this tip. If they give you any crap about the olives or the horseradish, you tell them you are Jewish and you need it for religious reasons. (In my case, it happens to be true, but you have never seen a Dominican customs agent shut up faster. I have come back on at least 3 occasions with two suitcases weighing in at 50 lbs. each of frozen kosher meat. Never was an eye EVEN batted.)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sayonara, remember that $200 is per shipment, per day, not per item.

Just a word to the wise.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Also if two shipments arrive on the same day - they both count towards the $200 limit. Schedule them wisely to be sure to arrive on separate days. I'd add antibiotic cream, a must here and cheaper in states, especially store brands. I bring in peanut butter and salad dressing, 2 of my necessities.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi..

I'm going to the US tomorrow for 7 days and so far all I know I need to bring back is a couple of laptops.. Anything else you guys recommend buy in the states because of pricing in the DR.. been working on creating a list but since I can import anything under 200$ fairly cheap I haven't thought of many other things..

How many laptops can you buy for less than $200.00 total?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Go to Walmart and buy a dozen of everything in the $1.00 category. I always buy a couple of dozen ladies panties at $.99 each. As well as flip flops and flashlights, barbeque lighters are available there for $.79 and here they sell for 120 pesos. I turn them over to a Dominican who sells them at $100 pesos each and we split the profit.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
MagLite Flashlight, A and D ointment (Neosporin) and a real pair of Nike running shoes.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Also if two shipments arrive on the same day - they both count towards the $200 limit. Schedule them wisely to be sure to arrive on separate days. I'd add antibiotic cream, a must here and cheaper in states, especially store brands. I bring in peanut butter and salad dressing, 2 of my necessities.

Or use 2 different shippers. I do that when I need multiple items that will absolutely total more than $200.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
How many laptops can you buy for less than $200.00 total?

I've brought in 2 laptops and a tablet and was never questioned. They were all out of the packaging, and I made sure to re-wrap the cables so they didn't look new. When they search you, the look for new stuff, not used. Unless it's a TV, then you get screwed anyway.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A new liver. Preferably B positive and some anti rejection drugs to go with it

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
rolaids and quality paint brushes, Dominicans brushes are crappy for painting trim in homes

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
its always good to pack fresh cash....start out w/ten g 's then when you spend something cab fare a cupof joe u ok...save alot on fees,,etc

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Good lord chic..............thanks for putting everything in the right perspective.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Go to Walmart and buy a dozen of everything in the $1.00 category. I always buy a couple of dozen ladies panties at $.99 each. As well as flip flops and flashlights, barbeque lighters are available there for $.79 and here they sell for 120 pesos. I turn them over to a Dominican who sells them at $100 pesos each and we split the profit.

Dont spend the profits all at once !!!! :)

I agree, lighters, cheap brand tuppaware ( or real ones for that matter ), kitchen sponges + metal scrubby once + cloths ( they ALL suk here :( ), freezer bags, better looking plastic plates, cups, forks, etc...... hell, I even import toilet paper lol.

Usb sticks, memory cards, batteries, dynamo-flashlights+ the key ring versions, replacement cords for electronic alimentation + HDMI......
Sun cream, mosquitoe repellent, asprins, pain killers ( voltaren...), anti-flu powder thing, body cream, razor+blades, shaving cream, aftershave, deodorant, perfume, creme epilatoire.
( no one believes me back home. Same dove cream, night amd day between dr version and swiss version, same for charmin toilet paper...... i used drcbought deodorant once and got irritations and an outburst of god knows what ).

Thats for the expandables.

Then for living, crystal-ware, silver-ware, plates..... the special-use ones, not everyday ones.
Dvd player, tablet, phone, camera, blender, toaster, kettle, micro wave...... everything what.

I used to laugh at my wife. Not anymore.
House kitchen, swiss/US appliances and everything. 10 years and counting.
Outside kitchen, dr appliances....... i can just shake my head. Nothing, nothimg works properly for over 2 years ( and i am being kind ).