danilo coming to puerto plata province this saturday

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
he will be rallying from sabaneta de yasica to POP this saturday, 12th of march.
that means absolutely sh*tty traffic condition on the main road. allow yourself more time if you need to get to the airport that day.
http://notiplata.com/5679-2/

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
yeah I already know. I was in the embroidery shop when they came in to pick up the danilo ball caps this past Saturday. I asked them about it

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
we got stuck in the one by sosua last Saturday and are tire was going flat every few kilometers, we almost did not make it for air once. we limped all way to ptopta. but my son is a crazy Dominican driver he got us through

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
i will be driving from las terrenas that day. not happy.

Watch out on the road just before Nagua. It's atrocious. The potholes can swallow cars whole. I burst a tyre and bent a rim last time I drove that way.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I Danilo will be driving through the city of POP to see what a complete and utter balls-up the local government have made of it. Unfinished projects, a one way system that has no logic and nowhere to park. I hate POP at the moment.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Watch out on the road just before Nagua. It's atrocious. The potholes can swallow cars whole. I burst a tyre and bent a rim last time I drove that way.

thanks, beeza. i drive kinda slow so hopefully i will see them potholes with enough time to react. darn.

as for danilo, he will likely drive through barrios rather than the main road. that's where the votes are.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Believe it or not, this stretch of road has been repaired. Coming back from Bavaro on Monday evening about 1/2 of it had been repaired and they were still working on it with about 10 trucks lined up to feed the paving equipment.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I Danilo will be driving through the city of POP to see what a complete and utter balls-up the local government have made of it. Unfinished projects, a one way system that has no logic and nowhere to park. I hate POP at the moment.

I cannot believe what they did to Calle Camino Real from La Javilla up until Puente de Guinea (is that the correct name?). That stretch use to be vibrant, full of traffic and hosts a number of stores, now it is not even used properly, as it was made one-way street. And of course they did not think properly how can people drive to the other direction (from the city center towards Manolo Tavarez). I had my hopes up when I saw construction all over the place before the end of last year, but then I was hugely disappointed by the completely incompetent and unlogical solutions.

Basically I feel that the local goverment created just a pretty crust: They have a nice road leading the tourists to see practically nothing. But that?s unfortunately typical in the DR sometimes...

Once I saw the Cestur stopping the traffic completely on a street to board a bus with tourists, when there was an empty parking lot just aside. So basically the locals that are busy with their normal lives in the city center have to bend down to their knees when tourists come. I don?t consider that to be right or fair. Yes, tourists are an important income, but not for everyone, and everything could be done in an organized way.

I know, I know, think where you are...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, that street was a fcuking hellhole before because it was two way and with cars parked on both sides it was a crappy passage. not to mention problematic exit towards manolo tavarez justo. just tragic. i like it better now and it is much safer to drive through.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Doesn't really bother me, traffic here is not a problem compared to the 1.5 hours commute I had to work in usa

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
well, that street was a fcuking hellhole before because it was two way and with cars parked on both sides it was a crappy passage. not to mention problematic exit towards manolo tavarez justo. just tragic. i like it better now and it is much safer to drive through.

I agree on the part of cars parked on both sides and a few carritos stopping at the same time in the same place as well, and I also agree, it?s a pleasure to drive towards the city center, but how do go the other way? As far as I know, there is no decent or appropriate respective street going the other way? This part of the logisctics part, I think, they did not think through...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
but how do go the other way? As far as I know, there is no decent or appropriate respective street going the other way? This part of the logisctics part, I think, they did not think through...

through avenida caamano (former colon).

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
through avenida caamano (former colon).

This is just my personal opinion, but I would not consider that to be any sort of nice exit from the city, it?s slightly far away and it does not pair up with Camino Real in the way that e.g. Beller does with 12 de julio.

There are other streets of course as well, personally I have used Padre Castellano, but again, in my opinion, thy left no logical pair to exit the city center.

A taxi driver we know well, also said that apart from the lesser amount of traffic on Camino Real, he/they see no benefits of the new structure. Quite to the contrary.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wha? no way, jose. it's much safer and faster to exit the city through avenida caamano. in 6 or 7 years of driving here i never drove camino real towards manolo tavarez justo, always towards the city only. it was a good decision to make it one way street. javilla is a crap spot to cross at the best of times, now it's a lot better.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
wha? no way, jose. it's much safer and faster to exit the city through avenida caamano. in 6 or 7 years of driving here i never drove camino real towards manolo tavarez justo, always towards the city only. it was a good decision to make it one way street. javilla is a crap spot to cross at the best of times, now it's a lot better.

I suppose we agree to disagree partly :)

Again, I agree that it is faster indeed, but I find that route much uglier and it has a feeling of being in the outskirts. In particular in the evening I don?t enjoy the Caamano at all...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes I would love know when the circus will come to the Sosua/Cabarete area so I know when NOT to go into town.

Bob K