New LNB's necessary for DishNetwork dishes?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My satellite guy tells me I need to get all new LNB's for my dishes because Dishnetwork is changing the 'frequency' which require new LNB's. Can anybody confirm this?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I could find nothing on a quick google search about this. It would be a big deal if everyone had to have their LNBs changed.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
My satellite guy tells me I need to get all new LNB's for my dishes because Dishnetwork is changing the 'frequency' which require new LNB's. Can anybody confirm this?

That would mean a truck-roll for every US customer to swap out an LNB at Dish's expense on labor and equipment. I think your guy is trying to soak you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That would mean a truck-roll for every US customer to swap out an LNB at Dish's expense on labor and equipment. I think your guy is trying to soak you.

With nothing about this requirement being posted, I agree.

DISH was supposed to change their encryption mechanism, which requires new receivers. That is going to completely shut off piracy of their signals .
DirecTV figured that out long ago. None of that would necessarily have any impact on what LNBs are used.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I went on tech support and they didnt know anything. I asked my 'technician' to send me the notice about this. Yes I think he is trying to take me for a ride. Unless it has something to do with the extra reception needed this far South of their normal umbrella.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
My Dish guy told me the same thing. Mine's in Santiago, it may be the same guy.

I now use 100% IPTV so I don't use Dish anymore anyway.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I gave up this hobby a while ago and went to internet streaming, now that I have a half decent internet connection.

I currently have, gathering dust in a drawer a: Limesat HD AIR, Connexsat CNX Nano2 and an I-link IS-9000 plus.

Free to a good home.

Need to collect from my home in Encuentro, Cabarete.

PM me if anyone's interested.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I gave up this hobby a while ago and went to internet streaming, now that I have a half decent internet connection.

I currently have, gathering dust in a drawer a: Limesat HD AIR, Connexsat CNX Nano2 and an I-link IS-9000 plus.

Free to a good home.

Beeza, could you post this in the swap thread in Living?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Free to a good home.

Same with me. IPTV all the way now. Nfusion, Viewsat and CNX Nano2 boxes all gathering dust . By the way, all of the older sat boxes with just MPEG2 coding, like the CNX are essentially obsolete unless you are really using them for true FTA and not pirated DISH Network signals.. The nFusion HD boxes can handle MPEG4.

But, IPTV is the way to go now. Works fine with a 5 Mbps download speed for me. For those wanting 4K streaming, you probably have to get much faster internet.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I can't even get football live from the NFL online in HD, internet is so slow here in Cofresi (Puerto Plata), despite me having the fastest residential connection available by Claro. Apparently, the city has not allowed Claro to install the proper fiber optic network, probably not getting the pay offs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just saw the news article on POP versus Claro on fiber optic cables. They are now in court over it. Years ago Claro ran fiber optic past my location in Cabarete. Still no fiber connection available where I live.
Conchman can you get a cable modem where you are with the company that supplies television programming? That would give you enough speed for IPTV. You are too far from the central station for fast DSL. Getting a cable modem at least got me sufficient speeds.