Question about ATMs in DR

JTakaMakaveli

Dec 31, 2015
I will be renting an apartment in Bavaro for 2 months. I do not want to deal with traveler's checks, personal checks, or credit/debit cards if possible. If I go to a bar/restaurant/supermarket I would prefer to stick to cash transactions. I also do not want to bring thousands of dollars with me and leave it in the apartment or carry it on me. I know I will have to pay a small ATM fee and a small fee from my US bank when I make a withdrawal. I am fine with that. The only time I have had to use an ATM in DR was at an AI and it only gives you 1000 pesos per transaction. I do not want to pay a fee for every 1000 peso transaction. My question is are there ATMS in DR either at a bank, store, or residential community that would allow me to withdraw the equivalent of say $300-400 US dollars in a single transaction so I do not have to pay a fee over and over for multiple minor transactions? Thank you in advance for any information.

Apr 7, 2014
yep. I used to used Cibao Associacion Prestamos but there was a software change in 2015 and my card wouldnt work in their machines. So I wound up using Banco Progreso or Banco BHD. I only use the ATMS AT/IN the bank where the watchman and all that. But at Progreso and BHD I would typically withdraw 12,000 or 15,000 pesos at a time. And with that I do everything else in cash(local currency).

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
I've used my BOA card on Banco Popular ATM, I was able to withdrawn 20k on 2 different transactions, got charged 5usd for each one.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The sum you can withdraw will also likely be determined by your home country bank with them having a daily limit for overseas ATM withdrawals. Check with them too.

I've used Scotiabank ATM's around the country and I find I am limited to 10,000RD if I withdraw from my local account or use my foreign account. Other bank ATM's have lower daily allowances from experience and in some locations the amount that can be withdrawn is restricted....example SDQ arrivals hall......2500RD.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I use Western Union to wire myself money. After a certain $$$ amount, it's cheaper than ATM fees and international fees. It takes 1 transaction and I have the money I need in a single visit. It also keep my ATM card from getting eaten by a Banco Popular ATM and being demagnetized again.

You can also wire money to your rental agent for your rent. Most will accept that kind of transfer.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I use Western Union to wire myself money. After a certain $$$ amount, it's cheaper than ATM fees and international fees. It takes 1 transaction and I have the money I need in a single visit. It also keep my ATM card from getting eaten by a Banco Popular ATM and being demagnetized again.

You can also wire money to your rental agent for your rent. Most will accept that kind of transfer.

does not work good for large transaction. I was sending 3000 usd a week here and WU stopped and refused to allow me to send.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
yep. I used to used Cibao Associacion Prestamos but there was a software change in 2015 and my card wouldnt work in their machines. So I wound up using Banco Progreso or Banco BHD. I only use the ATMS AT/IN the bank where the watchman and all that. But at Progreso and BHD I would typically withdraw 12,000 or 15,000 pesos at a time. And with that I do everything else in cash(local currency).

I've withdrawn RD$30,000 pesos at a time as recently as a few weeks ago from a Banco Progreso ATM-there is a RD$120 fee per transaction.

Problem is that not all Banco Progreso ATM's are the same. Some read chip cards better than others.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I will be renting an apartment in Bavaro for 2 months. I do not want to deal with traveler's checks, personal checks, or credit/debit cards if possible. If I go to a bar/restaurant/supermarket I would prefer to stick to cash transactions. I also do not want to bring thousands of dollars with me and leave it in the apartment or carry it on me. I know I will have to pay a small ATM fee and a small fee from my US bank when I make a withdrawal. I am fine with that. The only time I have had to use an ATM in DR was at an AI and it only gives you 1000 pesos per transaction. I do not want to pay a fee for every 1000 peso transaction. My question is are there ATMS in DR either at a bank, store, or residential community that would allow me to withdraw the equivalent of say $300-400 US dollars in a single transaction so I do not have to pay a fee over and over for multiple minor transactions? Thank you in advance for any information.

Try Asociacion La Nacional-they do not charge a fee for withdrawals. They have several ATM's in Bavaro. Only problem is that if you have a chip card, it may not work at their ATM's.

BAVARO
Av. Estados Unidos, esq. Av. Espa?a, Friusa Center, local 12, B?varo. 5702

POLA BAVARO
Av. Barcel?, Cruce Coco Loco, Plaza San Juan Shopping Center, Supermercado Pola. B?varo, Hig?ey.

Apr 7, 2014
I've withdrawn RD$30,000 pesos at a time as recently as a few weeks ago from a Banco Progreso ATM-there is a RD$120 fee per transaction.

Problem is that not all Banco Progreso ATM's are the same. Some read chip cards better than others.
I tried to use the ATM at STI airport and they all gave me problems. U used the Progreso ATM at Clinica Corominas so I dont know. I used every Cibao ATM I could find and only got problems so I went across the street to a Banco BHD and got it done all the time.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
does not work good for large transaction. I was sending 3000 usd a week here and WU stopped and refused to allow me to send.

The reason they probably didn't allow you to send more every week is that when you do smaller lots under $10,000 in a short period of time, they can consider it structuring to avoid the over $10,000 reporting requirements.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Many if not most AMT's here have a ceiling of 10,000 pesos. My bank charges me five US dollars for each such transaction as well as most banks here charging a fee of from 120 pesos to 190 pesos. which is almost another five bucks. Recently I found at La Sirena here in Puerto Plata an ATM not part of any bank. I can withdraw 12000 pesos and they do not hit me with a peso fee. Their exchange rate is exactly the same as the Banco Popular machine sitting right next to it. 45.05. I don't know how high the machine would go 12000 is all I asked for. If anyone wants to know for sure the name of said ATM I can check it out and say so.
Der Fish

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I found that by going into the bank and making a withdrawal with my card from the teller, I could withdraw far more money at a time than using the atm. (Up to 40,000)
A lot safer process as well I believe.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
are there ATMS in DR either at a bank, store, or residential community that would allow me to withdraw the equivalent of say $300-400 US dollars in a single transaction so I do not have to pay a fee over and over for multiple minor transactions?

I haven't read all the posts BUT I can withdraw 10,000 pesos (perhaps more) at BHD 195 pesos per transaction. After a while I know the ATMs that give me 2,500 max, I simply take my business somewhere else.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I found that by going into the bank and making a withdrawal with my card from the teller, I could withdraw far more money at a time than using the atm. (Up to 40,000)

FYI: pretty sure you must have your passport at the branch. Other ID doesn't work for foreigners. And take off your hat. They don't play on that.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Seconded. Much safer and you can ask for whatever small bills and coins you need, too. You will need your original passport or cedula, though.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Recently I found at La Sirena here in Puerto Plata an ATM not part of any bank ... If anyone wants to know for sure the name of said ATM I can check it out and say so.
I do not understand this. Are you suggesting it is operated by La Sirena themselves? If not, to whom would you turn if a problem (card eaten, cash not dispensed, etc)?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
And take off your hat.
Rules re: hats and cellphone use are only variable enforced. A few weeks back a guy waiting in my line had a handgun stuck in his belt. That did surprise me, but I guess bank-robbers do not wait patiently in line? Maybe a cop known to their security or one of their own guys?

Jan 7, 2016
I routinely withdraw from my checking in the U.S. at a Federal Credit Union, using National at San Juan in Bavaro. It's located inside the Super Pola and secure. The machine has given me as much as $40,000 DP at a session without difficulty. My Credit Union waives any fees, so the cost is free for me.