Working for Int'l School in Santo Domingo

Silviawood

Feb 3, 2002
members.blackplanet.com
I've found the posts on this forum to both interesting and informative, so I hope that you'll be able to help me with my decision. My husband and I would like to spend the next school year in a warm, friendly foreign country where we can take the opportunity to embrace the culture and learn the language. We currently live in Washington, DC and are considering moving to Santo Domingo. Let me paint the picture for you: In a couple of weeks, we will attend an International School Job Fair where my husband may be offered the possibility to work for an international school in Santo Domingo that pays an average of $21,000 (-8% local taxes) a year. Simply put, I am trying to figure out if we can live on that salary. We will get more information on the cost of living at the actual job fair, but time will be limited and I am trying to become as informed as possible before the fair's commencement. We're both 30 years old and have no children. We'd be interested in renting a 1 bedroom furnished apartment in a safe area (not to offend anyone by implying that the DR's not safe, but every country I've ever lived in had its decent and its not-so-decent areas). We're simply interested in having phone connection and cable, no extravagant ammenities. We imagine that we'd be interested in purchasing a small, used car, just to get around a bit. Since it is our intention to spend this year immersing ourself in the culture, we wouldn't be interested in purchasing pricey, imported American groceries....we want the local stuff. We would maintain approximately $600 of outside financial obligations per month.

By my calculations, making ends meet would be kind of difficult, and, with that in mind, I'd like to get a job there. My concern is that I don't speak Spanish....although I imagine that it would not be difficult for me to learn because I'm a native Italian speaker. I currently work as a conference coordinator in one of those stuffy, downtown DC corporate offices.....Lord knows that even working as a waitress for a year would be refreshing. I'm pretty much open to anything that could bring in an extra 600-700 a month (would the type of jobs I'd be able to find pay that much?) I realize that I'm basically asking you guys to do a calculus problem and that it might be a consultant's job to do.....but I figured I've got nothing to lose from asking people who really know what it's like to live there. That's my situation: is it feasible? Thanks a million to all those who respond and give me insight....your contribution is truly invaluable.

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Living in the Dr

I've never lived in the Dr, but know a little about the cost of living. To live in Santo Domingo on approx 1,750.00 per month, you should be ok. Not an high life, but you could make ends meet. This amount does not go near as far as it would in the USA! Esp. in the Capital. I'm sure others will answer this and give you a more informed answer than I can give, but a very quick answer is you should be alright!

deborah

Jan 15, 2002
Your information seems to be pretty accurate. The school fair will give you a lot of the information you need. An apartment in the area near the school will cost in the range of U.S $1000.00. Remember our biggest problem is the lack of electricity which means that when the city supply is out which is often-daily- everyone uses generators. The lower end of the rental market does not provide generators. The option is to buy one yourself or to use a battery system-inverter- which can run lights and must be powerful enough to run the refrigerator,much more practical. Transportation is the second problem. Cars, even old second hand ones are not inexpensive..or to say it another way they are very expensive. A five year old Honda Civic will sell for U.S $10,000- very few teachers have their own transportation. what they do is hire a car for the weekend if they are travelling out of the city. The school usually has some sort of provision for this with a hire company- and share! Otherwise public transportation leaves a lot to be desired..or at least very different from what you may be accustomed to. Taxis are readily available and affordable. As for the second job...well, it will be difficult to make that much per month for a local hire. Of course it all depends on what you have to offer... there are lots of opportunities for entrepreneurship. Its a wonderful place to spend a few years.. whey don't you contact some other teachers working at the school already...for a really in depth view. good luck

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Please don't forget to calculate moving cost/startup costs. These include airfare for extra baggage or some type of freight-or buying expensive replacements for your things here, filling you cupboards with food upon arrival, rent deposit, visa, taxes on your new car and numerous other items. It is a big help to find a place to live in which you don't feel it is necessary to do a lot of expensive repairs or alterations. Also, note that five year old Honda will require some expensive repairs unless you are either a mechanic or very lucky. Most used(abused) cars here are in awful condition in comparison with what you might be used to from the states. "Great condition" here starts about where "handyman special" stops in the states. There are exceptions though. I recently bought an economy 97 Toyota pickup that was in good condition with a double cabin for about $11,000, but it was after much looking.