Amber Mines Guide

Pclark

Jan 14, 2016
I wasn't quite sure whether to post this in Central or North Coast since the area is sorta in between but closer to Santiago. At any rate, I'm looking for information on visiting the Amber mines. We'll be driving from PoP to STI on the Tourist route.

What would be really nice to find is someone who knows the area to possibly have as a guide with a particular interest in the Los Cacaos mine area.

Any stops along the route not to miss? Food?

Thanks!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Ruta Panoramica Here is the guide. In true Dominican form, most of what is on the guide is not actually there. The road is very rough, and pretty dangerous so you will want to take it slow.

The scenery is AMAZING, stop and get pictures. I last went on the weekend, and there sadly wasn't much open. The only food we found was the by Tubagua, there is a rest stop there.

As far as the amber mines, I couldn't figure out how to get in. Like I said, it was the weekend, so things were closed. My wife brought her family once, and she was able to get in to see some shops and stuff. She had to ask around alot to figure out where to go. She was unimpressed.

Maybe you'll have better luck than me. Everyone will have their hand out looking for money, and every other house we drove by someone screamed "MONEY" at us. It was annoying.