Where to dance bachata in Puerto Plata?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Imminent visitors have asked me where they can dance bachata in Puerto Plata. My days of frequenting dance-halls are long gone and my memory is fast following them, but:

My main spot was La Canita, but that has long since closed.

There were two places in 30 de Marzo: Plaza Caribe(?) and El Caball?n(?)

There was Orion, just off Francisco Caamano, but more international music there.

For a more "colorful" experience there was El Consulador and adjacent bars (all of which opened and closed, or changed their names, with great frequency) but the "dance-floors" were minute.

The Haitian place (Kakaobaka?) by the Hospital is not only closed but physically demolished.

There is El Furgon along Luis Ginebra, which I understand is more for younger middle-class Dominicans?

Rancho Tipico out towards the Free Zone only opened when they felt like it, which was rarely when I visited.

Someone suggested Club Kviar at Costa Dorada, but I suspect they play mostly international music and little bachata?

I do not know how many of these places still exist and play bachata. My friends are neither wimps nor snobs, are streetwise, and speak enough Spanish for this purpose.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Imminent visitors have asked me where they can dance bachata in Puerto Plata. My days of frequenting dance-halls are long gone and my memory is fast following them, but:

My main spot was La Canita, but that has long since closed.

There were two places in 30 de Marzo: Plaza Caribe(?) and El Caball?n(?)

There was Orion, just off Francisco Caamano, but more international music there.

For a more "colorful" experience there was El Consulador and adjacent bars (all of which opened and closed, or changed their names, with great frequency) but the "dance-floors" were minute.

The Haitian place (Kakaobaka?) by the Hospital is not only closed but physically demolished.

There is El Furgon along Luis Ginebra, which I understand is more for younger middle-class Dominicans?

Rancho Tipico out towards the Free Zone only opened when they felt like it, which was rarely when I visited.

Someone suggested Club Kviar at Costa Dorada, but I suspect they play mostly international music and little bachata?

I do not know how many of these places still exist and play bachata. My friends are neither wimps nor snobs, are streetwise, and speak enough Spanish for this purpose.

the paucity of places proves that there is a God.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the paucity of places proves that there is a God.

ha ha ha. indeed.

anyways, not that i ever danced bachata but... there is a dance club over the car wash almost leaving the city, opposite large texaco station. they have music and some nekkid dancers. another club in a car wash just behind javilla, some weird name i can never recall. several dancing places on luis ginebra, in most of bars there. ocean world has dominican artists perform about once or twice a month. on the malecon, close to the last caseta there is a large place that changes name so often i cannot keep up but they always have dominican music. there are a bunch of "drinks" with music and some dancing on those streets leading to the malecon, behind la sirena, starting with isla gas station.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Acapela (most people on wednesday evening)
Ojilvis
el Caballon
Stragos
Babylon
Thanks Mik. Good info.

By Zona Acapella I assume you mean Disco 30/40 next door, or do they dance in Zona Acapella itself?

Ojilvis was dead for years. Has it picked up lately?

El Caballon is a good suggestion. Is Terrazza Caribe in the same street still going? (I wrongly called it Plaza Caribe in my OP).

Babylon changed its name six years ago to D'Estafan (or something). Has it changed back? It was always more a brothel than a dance-place.

Is Stragos in Luis Ginebra? If so, which is larger, Stragos or El Furgon?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks Mik. Good info.

By Zona Acapella I assume you mean Disco 30/40 next door, or do they dance in Zona Acapella itself?

El Caballon is a good suggestion. Is Terrazza Caribe in the same street still going? (I wrongly called it Plaza Caribe in my OP).

Babylon changed its name six years ago to D'Estafan (or something). Has it changed back? It was always more a brothel than a dance-place.

Babylon is still a cathouse. i have no idea why it is still open.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Your monotheistic zeal and contempt for cultural heritage qualifies you for a career with the Islamic State.

2 mistakes.

firstly, i am not monotheistic. i have no theistic position, whatsoever.

secondly, i am not so sure that disliking the bachata rises to the level of contempt for cultural heritage. i dont like mangu, either.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Thanks Mik. Good info.

- no I mean Acapela, 30/40 is also good, but they play mostly reggaeton. Acapella itself is really good on Wednesday.

-Ojilvis is not like before, but on monday it is karaoke, but you have to go late (at, 8pm there is nobody) and you have to be lucky, Saturday can be good also late at night.

-terazza caribe is closed the last time I heard.

-yes stragos is in luis ginebra, El furgon is bigger, but in Stragos they dance more.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Ah and about Babylon: maybe they changed their name, thats possible. It is a place where you can find a loy of hookers, but also it is a place where you can dance a lot.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My French Canadian friend JoJo, who is the best dancer this side of Baryshnikov, swears by Rancho Tipico in Sosua.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My French Canadian friend JoJo, who is the best dancer this side of Baryshnikov, swears by Rancho Tipico in Sosua.

My ex wife and I saw Baryshnikov in one of his last performances in Toronto years ago. Older but still powerful and graceful. His grand jetes were incredible. A great performer!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My ex wife and I saw Baryshnikov in one of his last performances in Toronto years ago. Older but still powerful and graceful. His grand jetes were incredible. A great performer!

He's still dancing. He doesn't have the power or the strict ballet moves he had when he was in his prime, but he's effin 56 years old and he can still lift his legs over his head. I love the stuff he did with Twyla Tharp in NY, and his ballet-tap-jazz duo with Gregory Hines (another one of the greatest dancers of all time, may he rest in peace, he was a lovely man) choreographed by Twyla, in the otherwise sort of sucky film "White Nights" is one of the greatest dance pieces of all time. IMHO.

Although this has nothing to do with bachata.